Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Ownership cost USA v UK

Car Ownership cost USA v UK

Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Ownership cost USA v UK

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well many of my journeys are in the same direction, and I try to combine as many tasks as I can into one journey, but it is rare that it is possible to combine more than two or three things.
I wasn't necessarily suggesting combining journeys, but pointing out there are places where all the locations you listed are short local trips. Therefore journeys in some locations are no longer than in the UK, and the sort of area you live in does make a difference to the mileage you drive here.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I wasn't necessarily suggesting combining journeys, but pointing out there are places where all the locations you listed are short local trips. Therefore journeys in some locations are no longer than in the UK, and the sort of area you live in does make a difference to the mileage you drive here.
Definitely, but as I chauffeured my daughter and Mrs P to a concert this evening, it occurred to me that the more time someone spends driving to and from work the less they might want to drive on the weekend. So although I have a long commute to work, I try to fit in as many errands as I can on the way home from work - grocery shopping, pet food, things from Lowe's that don't require the truck to carry them home, etc. If I worked from home most of the week I would want, and indeed need, to drive more on the weekend.

To wit, I have a colleague who walks to work, ..... but he has a "cabin" in the mountains and so drives four hours each way to and from the cabin on as many weekends as he can manage.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

One difference I can point out from recent experience. Insuring a new teenage driver in the US (in Maine at least) is significantly cheaper than insuring them in the UK.

Our premium for three cars went up in total by $200 a year when my 16 year old daughter passed her test. My friends in the UK are easily paying $1000 a year extra per car for teens.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Car Ownership cost USA v UK

Originally Posted by BenK91
I had an RS3 sportback in the UK very briefly. Fantastic car.

It is worth noting that the GTI, Golf R and S/RS3 are all the same 2 litre 4pot engine just with a different map. My stage one APR map took my GTI to significantly better figures than a Golf R. I would like an RS7 one day though!
The RS3 is a 2.5 I loved the engine in my TTRS. I have the 2.0T lump in my wifes S1 (going to miss it) and had it in S3 trim in my TTS last year. Great engine.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
A couple of days ago I saw a guy who lives in our neighbourhood driving a BMW with Munich registration plates on it.

I know that some of the European motor manufacturers (eg. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo etc.) will sell US spec cars to US residents who go over and inspect the cars over at their European factories. The car manufacturer pays for return flights and a night in an hotel. You then go on a tour of the factory and drive away your new car (can be most places in Europe inc. the UK in most cases) for up to a couple of weeks.

You then fly back to the States and your car is shipped to you free of charge. From what I understand, the car is considered ‘used’ rather than ‘new’ and the import duties are a lot less. I assume the guy in my neighbourhood must have done this with his BMW and would soon be registering the car at our local New Jersey DMV. (Btw; the sea port in Newark is only about 12 miles away, very close to Newark airport).

I think you still purchase these cars via your local dealership but though a special programme (easy to google it eg. BMW European Delivery - BMW USA)

Actually, my Brit friend moved from New Jersey to Switzerland a couple of years ago (when I was still resident in Switzerland) and they moved just around the lake from our place. She decided to import her Toyota RAV4 as it was cheap to ship it....it was nice to see and go out with her in the car with the NJ licence plates on for a few weeks until she re-registered it!
I've also heard of this. Sounds like a bit of a hassle, though!
Old Nov 9th 2017, 12:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petepete99
I've also heard of this. Sounds like a bit of a hassle, though!
A colleague of mine considered it, when buying a Beemer a few years ago, and came to the same conclusion. You might save a few bucks on the duty (I hadn't heard that was the case), and the flights might be included, but overall, with hotels and dining while touring around for a couple of weeks, it was going to cost him money, not save it, and yes, it was a lot of faffing around.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
A couple of days ago I saw a guy who lives in our neighbourhood driving a BMW with Munich registration plates on it.

I know that some of the European motor manufacturers (eg. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo etc.) will sell US spec cars to US residents who go over and inspect the cars over at their European factories. The car manufacturer pays for return flights and a night in an hotel. You then go on a tour of the factory and drive away your new car (can be most places in Europe inc. the UK in most cases) for up to a couple of weeks.

You then fly back to the States and your car is shipped to you free of charge. From what I understand, the car is considered ‘used’ rather than ‘new’ and the import duties are a lot less. I assume the guy in my neighbourhood must have done this with his BMW and would soon be registering the car at our local New Jersey DMV. (Btw; the sea port in Newark is only about 12 miles away, very close to Newark airport).

I think you still purchase these cars via your local dealership but though a special programme (easy to google it eg. BMW European Delivery - BMW USA)

Actually, my Brit friend moved from New Jersey to Switzerland a couple of years ago (when I was still resident in Switzerland) and they moved just around the lake from our place. She decided to import her Toyota RAV4 as it was cheap to ship it....it was nice to see and go out with her in the car with the NJ licence plates on for a few weeks until she re-registered it!

As long as the car has the US spec sticker and you can tick box 2A on the HS7 form it is fine.
Shipping is very cheap right now I just paid 700 euros to ship a 110 Land Rover from Antwerp to Baltimore if it is going with a fleet of cars coming over probably a lot less than that.
In Switzerland we had to convert the speedometers from mph to kph before we could register motorcyles.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Tires only last longer if you drive like a a Miami resident or like to run on stage coach wheels. If you have "grippy" tire they last the same length of time as they do in the UK. My last set of tires lasted around 40k on both my cars. However I do not have snail mode in my driving resume.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/0...do-tires-last/
On tires, I just bought some that are quoting 80K miles and have a guarantee. I wouldn't get remotely close to that back home. I think 20K was what I was getting. I understood tire standards are different and linked to reducing noise in U.K./ Europe which requires different compounds and a less durable tire. Am I misinformed? Anyhow I haven't done the miles here or tested the warranty but my presumption is (good quality) tires will last longer and therefore be better value.

Edit: we are managing with one car while I'm not working and between commuting / preK round trips, shopping, leisure and road trips we are certainly eating up the miles. Appreciate this is specific to us and not everyone.

Last edited by Chesten; Nov 9th 2017 at 1:49 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Chesten
On tires, I just bought some that are quoting 80K miles and have a guarantee. I wouldn't get remotely close to that back home. I think 20K was what I was getting. I understood tire standards are different ....
Yeah, I considered my self lucky to get 30,000 miles off a good set of Michelins in the UK. The ones I get here have an 80,000 mile warranty, but I can get at least that in most cases - the original set on our Accord did 80, and the third set did 100. The current (fourth) set are on track for at least 110, but could be more if they still have enough tread to pass the inspection next April. The second set must have been faulty as we only got 60,000 miles on them.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 2:30 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chesten
On tires, I just bought some that are quoting 80K miles and have a guarantee. I wouldn't get remotely close to that back home. I think 20K was what I was getting. I understood tire standards are different and linked to reducing noise in U.K./ Europe which requires different compounds and a less durable tire. Am I misinformed? Anyhow I haven't done the miles here or tested the warranty but my presumption is (good quality) tires will last longer and therefore be better value.
I go through a set in around 25 - 30K
Old Nov 9th 2017, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

A colleague of mine considered it, when buying a Beemer a few years ago, and came to the same conclusion. You might save a few bucks on the duty (I hadn't heard that was the case), and the flights might be included, but overall, with hotels and dining while touring around for a couple of weeks, it was going to cost him money, not save it, and yes, it was a lot of faffing around.
If I buy another BMW I will do this. Combine it with a vacation in Bavaria and Austria... if you're not doing that, yeh, it's a waste of time.

But I'm hoping my nearly 20 year old BMW is going to last a while yet!
Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I go through a set in around 25 - 30K
It's due to all that extra cake you carry around in the trunk

I always buy AAA rated tires, I like my tires to stick to the road.

Last edited by mrken30; Nov 9th 2017 at 4:16 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
It's due to all that extra cake you carry around in the trunk ....
What does "extra cake" even mean?
... I always buy AAA rated tires, I like my tires to stick to the road.
That sounds inconvenient. I prefer mine to roll along the road.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:48 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

What does "extra cake" even mean?
Thank you. Had me confused as well.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 9:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

......have enough tread to pass the inspection next April........
You have to have tread to pass the inspection!!!!!!!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.