Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car insurance in the US

Car insurance in the US

Old Sep 30th 2017, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance in the US

Originally Posted by Ecto17
I can second the NJM recommendation. They saved us a lot of money compared to any other quotes we got. We arrived in June and are paying just under 4K annually for 2 suvs with very comprehensive cover. I think had we not had access to NJM then the next best quote was somewhere between 500-800 more annually for them both.
Yup if you live in NJ you can't get better than NJ Manufacturers.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
did you go through an agent or straight to them?

I keep saying this but getting AIG inbound USA for $450 is well worth it. One of the things they will do for you is shop around for insurances that will take your previous country no claims history. We saved that $450 on our first 6 months car insurance based on what I had been able to find myself. They will also sort out renters insurance, credit cards, mortgages.

They referred us to Liberty Mutual and it may well be that Liberty Mutual has a team hidden away somewhere that can handle foreign information. Ours was all in french too.
Ok fair enough. I did go direct. Does the AIG service only work for new arrivals? Would they touch folk nearly 8-months in?

Even if we've missed that boat, it's great advice for those yet to come out.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 4:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

So, I've been trying to gather more information about this.

I went back through emails to see what the deal we got was for car insurance. The first 6 months was with 21st Century and was $950 for 2 cars. This was organised through AIG Inbound USA and in the emails they requested international drivers' licenses and they took our french insurance certificate showing no claims.
After the first 6 months AIG searched again for us and this time it was Liberty Mutual.

I've just been on the phone to 21st Century and they no longer work with AIG InboundUSA and will not accept foreign no claims. They did advise getting an international driver's license to reduce insurance premiums.

The guy I spoke to said that it was definitely worthwhile getting the AIG Inbound USA program because they really do have deals for car insurance for new arrivals that most of us cannot get.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MorsePacific
Honestly if anything they should look at your driving history as a UK driver and say "Well, she's going to be safer than 95% of the idiots on our roads, so here's some cheap insurance."
If any company does, it's so they charge you as a fresh driver, rather than as a spotty 15 year old who has just picked up a learners permit and make you feel grateful that they reduced your first initial rate, as a sales tactic.

Some things that also helped reduce the rate down my way, so might not apply elsewhere:-

- Having off street parking, having covered parking, both at home and work
- Limited to less than 3K miles for a good discount, less than 6K for a small discount.
- Distance from NH (NH doesn't require car insurance. Silly as they have a higher rate of insurance than MA).
- Safety features such as side airbags.
- Alarms and car tracking stuff like LoJack.
- Pay in full rather than monthly/quarterly.
- Pay online and have e-billing rather than paper statements.
- Charitable donation ($25 donation to Pan American bike ride gets $75 off on our insurance).
- Stacking insurance such as home owners/rental and getting umbrella cover.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

We have one of those plugin modules which also brought down our insurance