Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / USA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:12 pm   #1
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Bracknell, Berks
Posts: 79
bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Finance

Hi,

Just a quick one for anyone who has recently obtained car finance on a L1b...

When obtaining car finance to purchase from a dealer, do they look at 3 year or 5 years expiry of the visa?

Would we only get 3 years finance initially?

Many Thanks :-)
bearclaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:38 pm   #2
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 170
fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Finance

We've been on visas (F-1 and H-1B) the couple of times we've bought cars and the length of the car loan was never determined by the length of the visa.
fbf2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:03 pm   #3
i hate cabbage
 
Jack8602's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 262
Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Finance

L1B is only valid for 3 years initially so I expect they'll look at that. That's what happened when i took out a lease after moving here, they also wanted my employer to tell them how long i was here for.

Probably not the best idea to finance over 5 years should you not get accepted for a L1 renewal/green card on year 3 and then have a large payoff before you leave the country.
Jack8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:55 pm   #4
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: Boston, MA (was Nottingham, UK)
Posts: 50
jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8602 View Post
L1B is only valid for 3 years initially so I expect they'll look at that. That's what happened when i took out a lease after moving here, they also wanted my employer to tell them how long i was here for.

Probably not the best idea to finance over 5 years should you not get accepted for a L1 renewal/green card on year 3 and then have a large payoff before you leave the country.
I was thinking about this recently.

Lets say that the OP takes out a 3 year car lease and then the worst happens and after 1 year she loses her job or decides to go back to the UK. Obviously the car would be returned to the dealer, but how could they enforce any early return penalty? Presumably she would just return to the UK, close all US banks and transfer any money back into GBP. How could they chase for the payment? Do they have clauses in place that protect against this?
jammiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 11:38 am   #5
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Bracknell, Berks
Posts: 79
bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Finance

Thanks for the comments, if we were to come back after 3 years we would have savings to pay off any outstanding balance. Just wanting to set my expectations for what would be on offer. :-)
bearclaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:26 pm   #6
tom169 Male
BE Forum Addict
 
tom169's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: NC, USA (ex Yorkshire)
Posts: 2,391
tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclaire1 View Post
Thanks for the comments, if we were to come back after 3 years we would have savings to pay off any outstanding balance. Just wanting to set my expectations for what would be on offer. :-)
Leases are a terrible financial decision. It's depreciation, interest, profit, and everything else rolled into a payment where you get nothing.

If you're going to finance then seek out a credit union willing to. They'll probably give you a much better deal than the dealership. It then gives YOU the upper hand in negotiations as you're going to them with cash already.

Better than that is buy a car outright with savings.
tom169 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:31 pm   #7
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Bracknell, Berks
Posts: 79
bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom169 View Post
Leases are a terrible financial decision. It's depreciation, interest, profit, and everything else rolled into a payment where you get nothing.

If you're going to finance then seek out a credit union willing to. They'll probably give you a much better deal than the dealership. It then gives YOU the upper hand in negotiations as you're going to them with cash already.

Better than that is buy a car outright with savings.
We would never get a lease either. We want to own the vehicle and just have finance to pay for it. We will have a 5k deposit and looking around $16-18k for a used car. When the visa ends we plan on going to Canada to live (Canadian Citizen), so the car will come with us too.

Thanks for the credit union tip, will look into it once we get there (visa pending though...)
bearclaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 1:03 pm   #8
Fun Sponge
Super Moderator
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 24,885
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclaire1 View Post
When the visa ends we plan on going to Canada to live (Canadian Citizen), so the car will come with us too.
Just bear in mind that you can only import vehicles of a certain age in to Canada (I think it's 15 years or older?), so you might want to factor that in if your Plan B is to take it there. Have a hunt through the Canada forum for info on importing a vehicle.

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 1:09 pm   #9
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Bracknell, Berks
Posts: 79
bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Just bear in mind that you can only import vehicles of a certain age in to Canada (I think it's 15 years or older?), so you might want to factor that in if your Plan B is to take it there. Have a hunt through the Canada forum for info on importing a vehicle.

Good luck.
Oh, ok thanks for the heads up. Obviously I was being very presumptuous!
bearclaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 2:43 pm   #10
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 42,048
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Just bear in mind that you can only import vehicles of a certain age in to Canada (I think it's 15 years or older?), .....
.... Unless they were built to the same standards required and enforced in Canada. Vice versa also applies bringing vehicles into the US from Canada. So most main-stream vehicles can be moved relatively easily between the US and Canada because the standards applied to new vehicles have been nearly identical for several decades.

Just be wary about buying a vehicle that isn't sold on "the other side of the border", but the only examples I can think of are some Japanese/ Asian cars that were sold in Canada but not in the US.
__________________
As quoted in the Grauniad.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 7th 2017 at 4:35 pm.
Pulaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:33 pm   #11
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Bracknell, Berks
Posts: 79
bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
.... Unless they were built to the same standards required and enforced in Canada. Vice versa also applies bringing vehicles into the US from Canada. So most main-stream vehicles can be moved relatively easily between the US and Canada because the standards applied to new vehicles have been nearly identical for several decades.

Just be wary about buying a vehicle that isn't sold on "the other side of the border", but the only examples I can think of are some Japanese/ Asia cars that were sold in Canada but not in the US.
This is great news! Thank you.
bearclaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:36 pm   #12
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 42,048
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclaire1 View Post
This is great news! Thank you.
You're welcome.
__________________
As quoted in the Grauniad.
Pulaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th 2017, 7:01 pm   #13
Premium Member
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,733
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Car Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclaire1 View Post
We would never get a lease either. We want to own the vehicle and just have finance to pay for it. We will have a 5k deposit and looking around $16-18k for a used car. When the visa ends we plan on going to Canada to live (Canadian Citizen), so the car will come with us too.

Thanks for the credit union tip, will look into it once we get there (visa pending though...)
You might want to check with 'Jerseygirl', one of the BE moderators who posts on the US and Canadian boards.

She moved from New Jersey to Toronto and had a huge problem trying to register her Mercedes in Canada (and AFAIK it wasn't very old). In the end she went to CarMax in Rochester, New York and sold the car to them.

Incidentally I have just got home after a trip to CarMax in NJ but near the Philadelphia border, 70 miles from my home. Our very dear friends, expat Aussies have just relocated to Singapore at short notice after living in New Jersey for 15 years. I was given Power of Attorney - which he arranged at the American Embassy in Singapore - for me to get the title and registration certificate for the car at the DMV. I went there earlier this week as he had bought out the lease over the phone and the lien removed from the car.

It was a Dodge Durango....12 months old with 8270 miles on the odometer and had a factory package electronic seats, music system etc. The sticker price was more than $38,000. (I have no idea how much it cost to arrange the lease originally and then for the admin costs to buy it out).

The car was appraised at $22,000....we made a quick call to him in Singapore (12 hours ahead, he was in bed) and he accepted it....although in his loud Aussie accent shouted into the phone "Holy S**t"!
Englishmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th 2017, 2:58 pm   #14
vote to get Ian back
 
petitefrancaise's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,429
petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Finance

Dealers aren't the ones giving you the finance. They typically have access to different finance companies - the dealership will attempt to find one that will work with you.

Are you actually here now? SSN? Do you have credit history/credit score?
petitefrancaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th 2017, 3:18 pm   #15
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 42,048
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishmum View Post
You might want to check with 'Jerseygirl', one of the BE moderators who posts on the US and Canadian boards.

She moved from New Jersey to Toronto and had a huge problem trying to register her Mercedes in Canada (and AFAIK it wasn't very old). In the end she went to CarMax in Rochester, New York and sold the car to them. .....
Here's a fairly clear summary of the process.

There are many steps, some of which need to be completed ahead of crossing into Canada. If you're buying a new vehicle then some of the steps will be easier to plan ahead for, such as getting the certificate that shows all recalls have been addressed if you have always had it serviced by a franchise dealer, and cheaper if you buy a car with a vehicle with a VIN starting with a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.
__________________
As quoted in the Grauniad.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 8th 2017 at 3:39 pm.
Pulaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / USA


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 2:33 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com