Car advice

Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

sanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nice
Default Car advice

I am hoping to move to upstate NY September time and will need to buy a car.

Do you have any suggests for something suitable? Anything I should avoid?

sanj2010
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:25 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car advice

Originally posted by sanj2010

Do you have any suggests for something suitable?
Anything with chains on the tyres

Anything I should avoid?
Convertibles
Old Jun 24th 2004, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what type of car you want. SUV? Truck? Compact? MPV? Look at edmunds.com and kbb.com. They have good reviews and advise, plus a search feature for you to find a car that suits your lifestyle!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

kellwie is an unknown quantity at this point

sanj2010
A lot of people will tell you that you need some sort of SUV/4x4/AWD because of the snow up there. However, I lived in Ithaca for 4 years, drove a little Ford Focus and never had any problems in the snow. However, if you think you might like an SUV by all means go for it! Just don't think that All-Wheel Drive or 4-Wheel Drive or the like is absolutely essential. However, the one thing that is essential is an anti-lock braking system. It was helpful when driving/slipping down Ithaca's many hills during the winter!

If you think you might be doing off-roading or living in a more remote or rural area (ie where there are unpaved roads or long and treacherous driveways), THEN you may want to think about an SUV. These are the type of situations where an SUV-type vehicle is better than others. However, if you are going to be sticking to the road, an SUV is not essential.

The most important thing about driving up there is not what car you have, but your driving style. In the snow, drive carefully, but confidently and not over-cautiously In Upstate NY, people don't let a silly thing like snow stop them from business as usual!

Last edited by kellwie; Jun 24th 2004 at 3:11 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

sanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nice

kellwie

Well, that's exactly where we are going....Ithaca!

I was considering an SUV, given that was about the only thing everyone seemed to drive there! I am planning on living in the villages outside Ithaca, but fancy getting some skiing done in the winter.

SUV I guess it is!

sanj2010
Old Jun 24th 2004, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

kellwie is an unknown quantity at this point

kellwie

Well, that's exactly where we are going....Ithaca!

I was considering an SUV, given that was about the only thing everyone seemed to drive there! I am planning on living in the villages outside Ithaca, but fancy getting some skiing done in the winter.

SUV I guess it is!

sanj2010
An SUV is certainly a good choice--can't go wrong. You are right, that does seem to be the car of choice there. Basically my point was that, if you are for some reason completely oppossed to the though of driving an SUV, it isn't essential.

I hope you enjoy Ithaca! I went to university there (Cornell) and absolutely loved it. Beautiful area, very liberal town, and loads of fun stuff to do in and around Ithaca.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 8:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Dodge Durango ..with the Hemi ...just the right thing.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I'll second that, I've been driving the new Durango around for the last seven weeks. A BIG beast... I had to give it back last week and drive a dodgy Pontiac for a couple of weeks....

I really miss being so high up and being able to see the road properly....and it's got a BIG engine. 5.7 litres!!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

5.7 L....isn't that a tad excessive?
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:43 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

sanj2010

Something with a plow!

You'll be almost in my neck of the woods... make it a BIG plow and you can make a million clearing driveways. -- Ours didn't get done untill 4:30pm one day.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:43 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

5.7 L....isn't that a tad excessive?
Not for upstate NY!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 11:01 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Not for upstate NY!

If you want to enjoy things like ATVs, dirtbikes, skiing or snowmobiling then no, it isn't excessive. We have a friend with the Dodge Hemi 5.7 and it has been its weight in gold for when he and hubby go dirt biking. Hubby says that he would never get his car into the place they go because of the dirt tracks. His next car will almost certainly be some type of SUV.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 12:55 am
Brit'n'TX

Originally posted by Ben
If you want to enjoy things like ATVs, dirtbikes, skiing or snowmobiling then no, it isn't excessive. We have a friend with the Dodge Hemi 5.7 and it has been its weight in gold for when he and hubby go dirt biking. Hubby says that he would never get his car into the place they go because of the dirt tracks. His next car will almost certainly be some type of SUV.
and there's absolutely NO truth in the rumour that the size of a man's car/SUV/truck is directly inproportionate to the size of his todger!!

Old Jun 25th 2004, 1:18 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Brit'n'TX
and there's absolutely NO truth in the rumour that the size of a man's car/SUV/truck is directly inproportionate to the size of his todger!!

Ooh I don't know, hubby rides a bike to work
Old Jun 25th 2004, 4:35 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Not for upstate NY!
What exactly does the "upstate" in upstate NY mean? Further north? Higher altitude? I've never quite understood it .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.