Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I shred everything?

Can I shred everything?

Old Mar 26th 2018, 3:25 pm
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light
Question Can I shred everything?

Hi guys,

I'm moving to a new apartment and am getting rid of lots of useless stuff.

While I was shredding years of past leases in different cities and old invoices from jobs I no longer hold, I wondered if I can shred all of my immigration paperwork too: from the K1 application in 2003, the removal of conditions, and all the way up to the naturalization process in 2010.

I was sworn in as a citizen in 2012, so I'm pretty confident I don't need to keep any of this, and it feels there's too much sensitive information just lying around, but I want to make 100% sure.

May I?

Thanks!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 3:36 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I shred everything?

Scan it.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

As above, scan it all in and just keep it in a couple of safe locations.

Better to have it and never need it etc.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 3:45 pm
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Scan it.
I was afraid of this. So much paper! Will do.

Thanks Folinsky, good to see you again!
Thanks Benk!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Or if you have a lockbox or something you could deposit it there.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 5:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

By lockbox you mean a safe deposit box? I retained a full copy of each submitted petition from K-1 through naturalization. I bound each individual petition and placed it in a filing cabinet. The original official documents, i.e. marriage certificate, previous divorce papers, etc. are kept in a fireproof strong box.

For the OP, if I am remembering correctly, she has a daughter (an adult by now) who waffled on whether she wanted to be or remain a PR and was thinking of returning to Mexico. If that is so, mom should keep a copy of everything in case daughter decides to return to the US at some point and mom needs to petition for her again and/or for any grandchildren.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to add, but just wanted to say "Hi bequibar"!!

Rene