Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California bound - April 2017

California bound - April 2017

Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California bound - April 2017

Cars - you can lease and already mentioned there are a few options. If you look to buy, be warned that the dealerships will stitch up on interest rates, which will drastically reduce your budgets. Also, many lenders are over cautious and won't lend on older cars, higher mileage and will force rates of 6% or more. All those fantastic offers you see online? Yeah, you would get those.... shop around though. Oh, and cars in CA are a lot more expensive than elsewhere in the US. Tend not to rot, but servicing is key, you will not be surprised to see that a lot of people just dont care - especially in LA.

Phones - GSM and LTE is very wide spread here, so yeah, you can bring over your phone from the UK. Be warned though, the network that Verizon isnt available in Europe, so you might find that a particular phone won't work - double check, but a recent one (like 12 months or newer) are likely to be multiple band and hence work on pretty much any network these days. Apple used to have dedicated Verizon phones and then every other network - these days its just one phone for all networks.

Bank account - can be a problem, but look at banks as well as credit unions. CU's tend to be a little more focused on newer entrants to the US and as long as you can provide your paperwork and visa, will give you an account. But dont expect branches everywhere and hence you might need to plan things. Oh, and banking in general - checks / cheques are common - and Direct Debit doesnt exist in what you might expect. So paying rent for example can often mean you have to write checks / cheques.... ;-) And thats linked to bank / CU as some dont have some of the systems to do automated payment etc. You get used to it, but bills come in the post, you write checks / cheques and send them back....

LA / Hollyweird is strange, expensive and on the base of it totally overpriced. But a lot of people love it (not me). Other places are cheaper, as mentioned, but you take what you have and what you are looking for. Phoenix is a nice place to live, but in the summer it will exceed 45 C during the day and not really get below 30 C during the night. Its common for people with 2 story houses to have TWO air con units! It gets hot, very hot. But then again, winter is nice. LA is pretty consistent and even in the depths of winter now, other than a few rain storms, its still pretty nice. Here in Northern CA it was 16 C on Sunday and looks to be 13 C today! Ok, so its raining (just stopped), but thats not bad. Personally, I love the fact that during summer you can just do stuff and plan it out - chances of rain are very limited and you dont need to cater for it as much. Its so relaxing, and sitting outside for a coffee, lunch or evening meal is just so nice.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:53 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by off_again

Phones - GSM and LTE is very wide spread here, so yeah, you can bring over your phone from the UK. Be warned though, the network that Verizon isnt available in Europe, so you might find that a particular phone won't work - double check, but a recent one (like 12 months or newer) are likely to be multiple band and hence work on pretty much any network these days. Apple used to have dedicated Verizon phones and then every other network - these days its just one phone for all networks.
This information is nearly all inaccurate, please ignore it.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Do explain?
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:01 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Do explain?
Phones - GSM and LTE is very wide spread here
CDMA is used by two of the nationwide networks (Sprint and VZW) for voice (and some) data services.

so yeah, you can bring over your phone from the UK.
No. You can't. Only a handful of phones have all the required LTE / GSM / CDMA bands required to operate on all US networks. I can think of the Google Pixel and the iPhone [a very specific model only] and, er, that's it. Even then, there are separate models for each of these phones depending on geo location.

Be warned though, the network that Verizon isnt available in Europe, so you might find that a particular phone won't work
ATT isn't available in Europe either. It's a nonsense comment. A cell carrier not having presence in another country is completely irrelevant to the bands and spectrum used for cell service in a country.

double check, but a recent one (like 12 months or newer) are likely to be multiple band and hence work on pretty much any network these days.
Wrong. Apple's flagship phone currently has two US models - one with a CDMA [Qualcomm] enabled chip in it, and the other with a GSM/LTE only [Intel] chip.

Apple used to have dedicated Verizon phones and then every other network - these days its just one phone for all networks.
Apple still has separate phones for Sprint / VZW. This has been the case since the iPhone 7, and will probably be the case going forward as they don't want to pay expensive licensing fees to Qualcomm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

No. You can't. Only a handful of phones have all the required LTE / GSM / CDMA bands required to operate on all US networks. I can think of the Google Pixel and the iPhone [a very specific model only] and, er, that's it. Even then, there are separate models for each of these phones depending on geo location.
In case anyone has the Pixel from Europe - it does have band differences between the Europe and US models.

Extra to this, typing my EU Pixel's IMEI number in Verizon states that it isn't compatible... not actually tried though.

Europe Pixels don't completely support Project Fi too.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

CDMA is used by two of the nationwide networks (Sprint and VZW) for voice (and some) data services.

ATT isn't available in Europe either. It's a nonsense comment. A cell carrier not having presence in another country is completely irrelevant to the bands and spectrum used for cell service in a country.

Wrong. Apple's flagship phone currently has two US models - one with a CDMA [Qualcomm] enabled chip in it, and the other with a GSM/LTE only [Intel] chip.

Apple still has separate phones for Sprint / VZW. This has been the case since the iPhone 7, and will probably be the case going forward as they don't want to pay expensive licensing fees to Qualcomm.
As I mentioned, the big issue is around Verizon (Sprint) network - since it uses a different network that is not available in Europe. But if you have a normal GSM / LTE phone in Europe, you are likely to have network service in the US.

Since I was able to bring 2 iPhones, a Blackberry and a Samsung Galaxy S2 over and all worked without a problem. The Blackberry needed unlocking since it was locked to Vodafone (out of contract and no issues), the rest worked fine on ATT. Not sure what you are talking about here.

I now have a Verizon phone and I will struggle to get some coverage in the UK, but my iPhone from the US is an A1633 and according to this:

iPhone - View countries with supported LTE networks - Apple

It says it will support the networks for the A1688 - which is also GSM. So while you need to be careful, there does seem to be some cross network / type of network coverage available on the iPhone.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

And just for clarity, at no point did I say that you can just buy any old phone in the UK and expect it to work on Verizon. A lot of GSM based phones from Europe will work on the GSM based networks in the US without a problem. Thanks for being understanding.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tom169
In case anyone has the Pixel from Europe - it does have band differences between the Europe and US models.
Those are the TDD bands iirc, used by Sprint here. LTE deployment has really complicated the issue of bands used by respective countries now. It's really quite a mess.

Re VZW, potentially you could get the IMEI added to their database if you find the right person in CS. Otherwise, just activate with a VZW registered IMEI then pop the SIM in your Pixel.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jan 10th 2017 at 6:27 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:31 pm
Banned

As I mentioned, the big issue is around Verizon (Sprint) network - since it uses a different network that is not available in Europe.
No. That is still not accurate. Verizon is not Sprint. VZW and Sprint are separate companies with separate networks that use wildly different spectrum bands.

But if you have a normal GSM / LTE phone in Europe, you are likely to have network service in the US.
..apart from one on VZW or Sprint. You know, two of the national carriers in the US. That said, Sprint are shit and no one should ever consider using them.

Also, your point about having 'network service' isn't really the issue. When one uses a cell phone in a country, they expect to have the best possible coverage that network provides. If you're using a phone without some of the main (LTE) bands the network uses, then your experience is going to be subpar.

Since I was able to bring 2 iPhones, a Blackberry and a Samsung Galaxy S2 over and all worked without a problem. The Blackberry needed unlocking since it was locked to Vodafone (out of contract and no issues), the rest worked fine on ATT. Not sure what you are talking about here.
I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about; which is why you don't understand my comments.

I now have a Verizon phone and I will struggle to get some coverage in the UK
What?

If your VZW iPhone 'struggles' to get coverage in the UK, blame the cell provider for deploying a shit network, as your phone has ALL THE BANDS used by EVERY SINGLE UK CARRIER.

It says it will support the networks for the A1688 - which is also GSM. So while you need to be careful, there does seem to be some cross network / type of network coverage available on the iPhone.
Please just stop.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jan 10th 2017 at 6:40 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catlover3
Thank you! Yes I thought this was the case. I can prpbably manage with freelance consultancy but I wondered whether joining the lecturer pool would be a worthwhile start.
I cannot speak directly to the classification of lecturer v's adjunct but I presume from your enquiry you are ultimately seeking a full-time academic position, either with a private or public institution? If so, I would say making connections via an adjunct 'pool' must be a good thing. Allowing the employer to observe you and equally important, for you to evaluate them!

Meanwhile here are some useful weblinks if job searching as an academic is your goal:

https://www.higheredjobs.com/

Jobs - University of California
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Just_Joy is an unknown quantity at this point

I wondered whether joining the lecturer pool would be a worthwhile start

It could be a good networking opportunity, plus it can give you an edge when a position does open up.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catlover3

[B]
My husband is self-employed and works for a number of TV production companies in London, most of which have LA offices too. So he will likely get work through them. However, most demand union membership, yet you seem to have to get the work before you join the union (even the concept of a union seems so weird here) - does anyone have experience of this?
There is plenty of non-union TV work in Los Angeles! What does he do specifically?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

catlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisdc
There is plenty of non-union TV work in Los Angeles! What does he do specifically?
He's an Art Director. From what we've seen joining the Guild of Art Directors via portfolio is pretty straightforward but others have said there's no need to join a union. It's hard to know until you arrive I guess! I feel like we're quite unusual in going without jobs to go to...
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

catlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
as already mentioned by horace on the cars, go to VW, Audi or Mazda.

I got a lease with VW within 2 weeks of arriving in the US with zero credit history. They did a manual underwrite of the loan and verified my income with my employer etc.

Phone - i moved here with my UK iPhone 6, worked fine on AT&T 4G
Oh thanks. We currently lease with VW so if we could do that in LA that would be awesome.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I cannot speak directly to the classification of lecturer v's adjunct but I presume from your enquiry you are ultimately seeking a full-time academic position, either with a private or public institution? If so, I would say making connections via an adjunct 'pool' must be a good thing. Allowing the employer to observe you and equally important, for you to evaluate them!

Meanwhile here are some useful weblinks if job searching as an academic is your goal:

https://www.higheredjobs.com/

Jobs - University of California
Thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.