Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cadburys and Customs

Cadburys and Customs

Old May 25th 2015, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cadburys and Customs

So flew in last night from London, one suitcase for clothes, the other suitcase - chocolate and 600 teabags. Of course I get checked. The officer opens my case and starting laughing, calls over the other two officers and they cant believe my stash!
He said- what are you going to do with at least 45lbs of Cadbury chocolate here? (He looks at me - a little shrimp of thing who weighs less than a 100 lbs) - that is not for you is it? I assured him that my OH would not only not sell even one bar, he wouldn't even give a square away! I think they were so blown away by the sheer amount of chocolate that they didn't even notice the few little other items that were hidden amongst it.! They did say they have a seen a lot of british chocolate coming through lately.
OH has filled his chocolate fridge and is one happy camper!
Old May 25th 2015, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cadburys and Customs

Originally Posted by Orangepants
So flew in last night from London, one suitcase for clothes, the other suitcase - chocolate and 600 teabags. Of course I get checked. The officer opens my case and starting laughing, calls over the other two officers and they cant believe my stash!
He said- what are you going to do with at least 45lbs of Cadbury chocolate here? (He looks at me - a little shrimp of thing who weighs less than a 100 lbs) - that is not for you is it? I assured him that my OH would not only not sell even one bar, he wouldn't even give a square away! I think they were so blown away by the sheer amount of chocolate that they didn't even notice the few little other items that were hidden amongst it.! They did say they have a seen a lot of british chocolate coming through lately.
OH has filled his chocolate fridge and is one happy camper!
Haha! I shall be doing a similar thing in a couple weeks. However, one look at me and it is obvious what will be happening to the chocolate. I shall be eating it. I am not a "little shrimp of a thing" like you.
Old May 25th 2015, 8:59 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a store that had real Cadbury's recently - some of the good stuff is still getting through.
Old May 26th 2015, 1:56 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

World Market in Bluffton, SC had UK Cadburys the other day.
Old May 26th 2015, 2:02 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I come through with a suitcase of Cadbury chocolate from Costco everytime I go back to England (been back 4 times in as many months so far this year) and I declare it with no issues. Why were your suitcases being searched do you think?
Old May 26th 2015, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

So naive poster here - what are the easy indicators of UK vs American cadbury?
I seem to have no issue in persuading my 3 US born kids that British chocolate is waaaay better than American. Hubbie is not impressed that the kids turn up their noses to smores made with Hersheys.
Old May 26th 2015, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I always check the "food" box when bringing back chocolates. Usually I get asked by the primary immigration inspector what food I have, occasionally by the primary customs inspector too. Last time I wasn't asked by either. One time I got sent to secondary customs inspection - he just looked in the carrier bag that I had my chocs in and sent me on my way without looking at my other bags. It's just luck of the draw I think.

Last edited by rpjs; May 26th 2015 at 3:54 pm. Reason: s/drawer/draw/ - need more sleep...
Old May 26th 2015, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I come through with a suitcase of Cadbury chocolate from Costco everytime I go back to England (been back 4 times in as many months so far this year) and I declare it with no issues. Why were your suitcases being searched do you think?
As rpjs said it just random searches but I was just below the dollar threshold for exemption and $500 of chocolate does seem a little excessive! I also had smoked salmon and cheddar (declared) so perhaps they thought they'd just have a look to make sure I didn't have any contraband.. I was going to bring some taramasalata but changed my mind at the last minute.
Old May 26th 2015, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
I seem to have no issue in persuading my 3 US born kids that British chocolate is waaaay better than American. Hubbie is not impressed that the kids turn up their noses to smores made with Hersheys.
Quickest way to ID an EU grocery is to look for the weight, which will be in grams first, and customary second or not at all and will have the European "e" sign next to it.
Old May 26th 2015, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

Headed back from the UK yesterday with this little haul - all documented on the customs form!

Old May 26th 2015, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
Hershey's "Cadbury's" has "distributed by Hershey's" or some such on the label. And of course the lack of vomit taste in the UK version is a giveaway
Old May 27th 2015, 2:46 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaffy23
Headed back from the UK yesterday with this little haul - all documented on the customs form!

http://i.imgur.com/iq8vJVC.jpg
M&S Percy Pigs - my kids (grown up!) love them!
Old May 27th 2015, 2:47 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Quickest way to ID an EU grocery is to look for the weight, which will be in grams first, and customary second or not at all and will have the European "e" sign next to it.
The US version says made under licence by the Hershey Company.