Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a car and getting a US license

Buying a car and getting a US license

Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default Buying a car and getting a US license

Hello

Ive read a few threads on here already but just want to try clarify things.
We are arriving in the US (on h1b/h4 visas) on Monday, we have a hire car booked from 16th november until end of december.
We hope to take our CA driving test in this period, are we ok driving for this period in the hire car on our UK licenses even though we have moved to the US as non-immigrants?
Has anyone taking the CA test in a hire car?

We also want to purchase a car in January or maybe sooner, can we do this before we take the CA test? and also is there benefits to waiting until we have our US license with regard to insurance etc.

Thanks in advance x
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car and getting a US license

Depends on the statutes of California as to whether or not a rental car can be used for the driving portion of the test. If it is not, my suggestion would be to pay a fee at a driving school for the use of one of their automobiles in which you can take the test.

You should be fine with driving the rental car for a month or so until you get your CA license.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:07 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
Hello

We are arriving in the US (on h1b/h4 visas) on Monday, we have a hire car booked from 16th november until end of december.
We hope to take our CA driving test in this period, are we ok driving for this period in the hire car on our UK licenses even though we have moved to the US as non-immigrants?

We also want to purchase a car in January or maybe sooner, can we do this before we take the CA test? and also is there benefits to waiting until we have our US license with regard to insurance etc.

Thanks in advance x
The rule in California is that you need to get your driving license within 10 days of becoming resident in California.

You will need your Social Security number before you can apply, so start that process as soon as you get here if you haven't already got a SS.

You only need the SS number, not the card, so once you have applied for your SS keep dropping by the office to see if your number has been issued, then go to the DMV and fill in the paperwork.

You are then given your permit with your license number on. You will then need to take both a written test (40 questions) and a driving test.

The DMV site says you need someone to accompany you for your test but you can go on your own and show your UK picture driving license.

Buying a car over here takes hours. If you are wanting to get finance start the search asap for a dealer who may be able to provide you with something. We managed to find a ford dealer who was willing to do a credit check on our UK records and got a fairly good rate.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky

You will need your Social Security number before you can apply, so start that process as soon as you get here if you haven't already got a SS.

Can H-4 get a SSN
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Im not entitled to a SSN as an H4 holder, but ive read if i go to the SS office with hubbie they will then give me a letter stating i cant have one and that should be good enough to take the test (we shall see if thats the case!)
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Hello

Thanks in advance x
Hi Sarah

Cant answer from the CA side of things, as we are in VA and its a little different i think. We have been here about 10 days now, and can drive on ours for some time yet (but we have ahire care). However we dont need to sit the full test, just the written test as we both have the UK licences. I know in VA unless you are a buying a car outright without credit you cant do this without a VA driving licence so it may be worth checking that out unless anyone with more knowledge can provide that info, and certainly we cant get any credit without an SSN - would assume thats the same almost anywhere over here. Good luck with it all though

T
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:44 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

I took my CA driving test in a rental car, no problem.
Of course, that was in 1998, so things may have changed since then.....
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

beeps29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah,

I am currently in same situation needing a drivers licence (Texas). I payed $15 for a months access to this site

http://www.testquestionsandanswers.com/

They give you endless questions so you can prepare for your theory part of the drivers test, option to select which state you want the licence for too.

Hope this helps!

Richard
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beeps29
Hi Sarah,

I am currently in same situation needing a drivers licence (Texas). I payed $15 for a months access to this site

http://www.testquestionsandanswers.com/

They give you endless questions so you can prepare for your theory part of the drivers test, option to select which state you want the licence for too.

Hope this helps!

Richard
you can get test questions on most DMV websites or driving booklets....you'd be mental to pay money for test questions.

Also really easy, just remember the points system, especially for those under 21 and drink drive issues.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Hello

Thanks in advance x
Hello

I took the CA test having had a UK license for about 15 years. I had to take both the written and the driving test. I will say that the written was much harder than I expected and the driving was MUCH easier than in the UK (probably why everyone over here can barely drive!)

From memory (it was 7 years ago) I had a booklet with all the information that I needed to know for the written test. Can't remember where I got it though, maybe from the DMV. The rules aren't all common sense and you can't 'work out' some of the questions without reading/learning the booklet. You get questions about 'which rule' and 'how many points' etc so I'd recommend that you do actually sit down and read it.

The driving test was a doddle. I literally drove around the block (carefully) and I made sure that I told the instructor that I'd been driving for 15 years and I was super nice to him. It took less than 10 minutes and was nowhere near as terrifying as my UK tests (probably because I have been driving for so long now). I was going to be mortified if they'd failed me!
The only thing that you need to remember that I never needed to know in Blighty is to 'curb your wheels' when parked on a slope. You need that in the Bay Area and you can get a ticket if you don't.

enjoy
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
The only thing that you need to remember that I never needed to know in Blighty is to 'curb your wheels' when parked on a slope. You need that in the Bay Area and you can get a ticket if you don't.
It's something your taught to do in the UK too if you park on a hill....but then your also taught to use a hand brake
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
It's something your taught to do in the UK too if you park on a hill....but then your also taught to use a hand brake
Hmm, it is definitely logical, I guess I just didn't take my test in the UK anywhere near any hills. I had to (re)take my driving test three times in the UK before I passed (yikes) and I don't remember learning the curbing wheels thing.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

You can take the test in a rental car, I took mine in a hertz
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Large post offices in California have free copies of the road rules booklet.

You can book the tests online, rather than waiting about for hours and hours at the DMV office.

There seems to be a 3-4 week backlog though. This may be due to state cutbacks which meant that the office closes most Fridays.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:06 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
you can get test questions on most DMV websites or driving booklets....you'd be mental to pay money for test questions.

Also really easy, just remember the points system, especially for those under 21 and drink drive issues.
Yep - any DPS office in TX will give you a booklet for free. The test questions will be taken from the sample questions in the back and will be really easy multiple choice ones, with many of the wrong answers just plain barking mad.

As Bob says, don't skip the part about under age drinking - it will be on the test.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.