Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British teacher relocating to LA: re-certify?

British teacher relocating to LA: re-certify?

Old Jan 21st 2018, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British teacher relocating to LA: re-certify?

Originally Posted by Maste
My teacher friend in the UK looked in to the J-1 teacher exchange. It's basically expected you'll share your experience back home in the UK, so I imagine it would come with the 2 year home stay attached, possibly.

I did a teacher exchange from UK to US on a J1 visa. I was subject to the two year home rule as it was sponsored by the state department I believe. Didn’t realise at the time so when I was going through DCF for a CR-1 visa, I had to slow it down at each stage until I had 24 payslips to prove I had fulfilled it.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

J1 does suggest short term but certainly not always a 2 year HRR.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
J1 does suggest short term but certainly not always a 2 year HRR.
Oh I know that, but I'd imagine the J-1 exchange for teachers most likely would come with a homestay requirement due to the nature of the exchange.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 4:02 am
Just Joined

livinginparadise5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
So this is a short term placement?
It really is subject to circumstances. There is a box that they tick when they issue your visa to say whether of not the 2 year home stay applies. In our case it does not, I think perhaps because our roles are not part of a government scheme, although we've had friends at public schools in North Carolina who did have the home stay requirement.

Our visa can be renewed annually after the first 2 years, up to a total of 5 years. If you wish to stay longer and you meet the criteria (and your employer is willing to pay), it's during the 5 years that you can then apply for your H1B and subsequent GC. Having said that, if your husband is a US citizen, then hopefully you would get your GC before the 5 years expire anyway (although I'm not up to speed on that process, so I've really no idea how long it would take!).

FYI, we had initially applied to public schools in CA and despite having job offers, each time it fell through as the school districts don't have the money to sponsor visas (one of those jobs is still being advertised 2 years later!!). You may be luckier than us, but if your preference is public school, then you're probably better looking at the companies that arrange teacher exchanges which, from memory, were mostly along the East coast.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute

My J1 was originally supposed to be through the Fulbright Organisation for a year. The funding was cancelled before it took place so my Fulbright was cancelled. Another organisation offered the exchange but the replacement exchange only lasted for 2 weeks. It was still funded by the US state department.

I was subject to the 2YHR for a measly 2 weeks.

I am in the middle of getting my transcripts organised to try and get licenced for Fla but after reading some of these posts, I will also look into International and private schools too.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Cherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you have a visa you can re certify and LAUSD needs teachers and is hiring.
I had to take the cbest exam, get my degree assessed and then they gave me a tear to pass the CTEL exams as that gives you the clad that you muct have in CA to teach due to the high number of EL students.It has been a baptism of fire teaching this population but LAUSD is a good employer and so far I would say I work less hours compared to the UK and I have more freedom in terms of how I meet the standards in my class. Behavior management- I am still not there so that makes it still a challenging job. Also if you can get signed proof of your years worked in schools outside the US, LAUSD recognize the years and it means you go in higher up the payscale which starts around 50k and goes up to 88K ( teachers who have been at it 20 odd years). Other districts may pay more but you need an MA or the health benefits are less good so for example La Canada pays up to 100k-but you will have a higher grading load there. They gave me my preliminary credential just with the cbest, then I had a year to do the CTEL.

https://www.ctcexams.nesinc.com/Test..._TestPage.html
Now, I have three more years to pass my two year induction, my subject exam- cset and I have to do a 4.5 unit reading course at college. So there is a list of stuff you end up needing to do but they do give you 5 years for most of it. Hope that helps you. LAUSD employs people from all over the world- if they already have the visa that is.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Cherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes you can substitute with only a degree( unlike the UK)- pays between $190 and $270 per day. But that visa must be in place.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cherrysoda
LAUSD employs people from all over the world- if they already have the visa that is.
Just thought I would cut to the chase.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:25 am
Just Joined

livinginparadise5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cherrysoda, do you mind me asking what kind of visa you have and how you managed to get it in order to be able to work for a school district? I couldn't find any way to get a H1B or J1 without sponsorship from a school, or the third party organisations that have placements on the East coast. If there's a way to do it I'd love to know as an alternative for the future if necessary
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

My visa was via my husband's company- I never used it as i stayed home with young kids- then they sponsored our green cards.I have not heard of any school district ever sponsoring any visas as it costs them too much.