Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British qualifications conversion to US qualifications

British qualifications conversion to US qualifications

Old Aug 20th 2016, 8:22 pm
Permanent Legal Resident

AndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default British qualifications conversion to US qualifications

Random questions guys.
Does anyone know of any links or sites to convert British qualification over to see what the equivalent is in the United States.
I have a btec level 3 and a couple of nvq level 2 and 3s
Now pardon me if I sound like an idiot but from researching and seeking advice with education recruitments I have been told these are equivalent to associate degrees. Now I got not sure if this is true or not but I was seeking a little more advice as I am in the process on completing my first and ever resume (cv) since leaving the military.
Thanks for you help in advance guys.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 8:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British qualifications conversion to US qualifications

Collectively they're probably going to be equivalent to an associates degree, but you can't really "convert" them any more than you can convert apples to oranges.

(Note: for anyone else reading this, Andy's wife is a USC, and Andy has a green card.)
Old Aug 20th 2016, 8:37 pm
Permanent Legal Resident

AndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEODV8 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks I will go ahead and place that down. Is an associates degree any good over here?
Again these are qualifications I have gathered threw my time in the British army.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 8:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyEODV8
Ok thanks I will go ahead and place that down. Is an associates degree any good over here?
Again these are qualifications I have gathered threw my time in the British army.
Associates degrees are a bit of a hybrid of A levels and trade qualifications. They're good for some occupations, but useless for others. My wife has an associates degree in English, which is about as much use as a chocolate teapot - she also has a bachelor's degree in English, which IMO isn't much more use, other than to prove she has "a degree". If your associates degree is in mechanics/ engineering, plumbing, or electrical work it'll be much more use in finding work.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 9:03 pm
Permanent Legal Resident

Mine is in road freight logistics and all so in contribute to the search and or disposal of function munitions and explosives and also I'm defensive driving and emergency response

So yeah that is mine at the moment.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I would not say that you have an associate’s degree on your application or CV. Get your UK qualifications evaluated by NACES Home

Many states (Tx, KY, NJ as a start) have statutes that address issues related to fraudulent degrees on a CV or job application. These laws were enacted to prevent job seekers from using degrees from degree mills to obtain jobs that they weren't qualified for. I know that doesn't apply to you, but don't state something that isn't exactly true. Better to get your qualifications evaluated.

As for your question about whether associates degrees are "any good" it depends on the type of associates degree. Nursing, dental hygiene, rad tech or any entry level health care career, I would say absolutely. An associate’s degree that is general studies or a non-career pathway is not so useful. An associate’s degree is generally 60 odd credits, with core courses from the humanities, social sciences, math and science and then additional credits for the degree major. On a semester based program each credit is the equivalent of 15 hours of coursework.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have to try and explain the qualification to someone, this is a good table https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ionsTable.aspx People may understand what an IB diploma is. This seems to equate to NVQ level 3
Old Aug 21st 2016, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
If you have to try and explain the qualification to someone, this is a good table https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ionsTable.aspx People may understand what an IB diploma is. This seems to equate to NVQ level 3
The table puts NVQ 3 as also being comparable to A-levels, which would place it around the level of the AP courses taught in US high schools. These are the more intensive classes aimed at the bright, motivated students. A US high school diploma alone isn't a ticket to a UK university; a student would need 3-4 AP exam passes too.

Passing AP exams generates credits that can be used to exempt oneself from a certain amount of US college. 3-5 APs (depending on the subject; languages usually score highest) are considered equivalent to the first year of college, enabling the student to get the rest of their bachelors degree in 3 rather than 4 years.

So that suggests your NVQS are about equivalent to having a year's worth of college, but perhaps not as much as the two years that an Associates equals. I'd second getting them properly evaluated.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

You will likely get some lower-level credit for them. You need to check with the college you plan to study at which evaluation agency you should use (ECE and WES are two other big ones), they usually require you to use a specific one.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 6:28 pm
Permanent Legal Resident

I'm not applying to go to school or college. It's so I can place them on my resume for work.
As all these qualifications are was done threw the military.

Last edited by AndyEODV8; Aug 21st 2016 at 6:41 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyEODV8
I'm not applying to go to school or college. It's so I can place the. Down on my resume for work.
As all these qualifications are was done threw the military.
Goodness me
Old Aug 21st 2016, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You should list them on your resume, but don't put down that you have an associates degree may be the best way to approach it. Also get someone to proof read your resume maybe.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 12:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You should list them on your resume, but don't put down that you have an associates degree may be the best way to approach it. Also get someone to proof read your resume maybe.
I agree. List the classes/courses you've taken as "additional education" or "continuing education". Don't say you have an associates degree when you really don't.

And yes, definitely get a third party to proofread your resume...you can't have the kind of mistakes on it that you've shown here.

Rene
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 3:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What do these jobs require.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 2:04 am
Permanent Legal Resident

At the moment car sales until I apply for citizenship then I will be applying for cal fire and the police force.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.