Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British passport photo size.

British passport photo size.

Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all
Default British passport photo size.

Hi everyone,

So we haven't updated our british passports for some years, but now my sons is up for renewal. Last time we just sent in US sized photos and they were accepted. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Thanks.

Sharron.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 12:52 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport photo size.

they both conform to the international standards for eye ratio/positioning etc. all thats different about us one is they leave more background showing. UK just trims the excess off.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the official requirements.
https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

Maybe print a copy to show the photographer?
Old Sep 20th 2015, 12:38 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharron_
Hi everyone,

So we haven't updated our british passports for some years, but now my sons is up for renewal. Last time we just sent in US sized photos and they were accepted. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Thanks.

Sharron.
Go to a Walgreens. They have the British size as a setting in their computers. You can just ask for it.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 2:43 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Go to a Walgreens. They have the British size as a setting in their computers. You can just ask for it.
And CVS -- I think most of the major drug stores have the specs.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

... and remember not to smile ...
Old Sep 21st 2015, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

We have used Walgreens several times. Sometimes their photo operators don't know that they have international settings. Just insist that they do!
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
We have used Walgreens several times. Sometimes their photo operators don't know that they have international settings. Just insist that they do!
+1 - renewed my wifes passport and received it yesterday no issue - went to Walgreens and used the "British Passport" setting.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

gorbert is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I went to 2 different Walgreens and 1 CVS and none of them had either the 'British Passport' setting or even the correct background. White is not acceptable if you look at the rules.
Also, you cannot just trim down a US spec'd one. The crown to chin is too big and the background is wrong.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

nadmx is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just renewed my passport!
I also ended up going to Walgreens & CVS; both didn't entertain me when I asked them to change their settings :-( I ended up getting our local post office to do a couple in the US standard size but they changed their zoom so my head was close to the UK measurements. I had emailed the passport office in the UK to check if this was ok and they said it was fine to send in US sized ones & they would trim down.
However, I wasn't that confident with my head measurements so took, resized & printed another photo using a DSLR at home, just so they had a third option! They actually used the home printed photo!
I was very impressed with their service too - mine took under 2 weeks to be delivered back to me.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

jamansius@msn.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: British passport photo size.

So I had a photographer at the photo store take my pictures using the UK guidelines, and he trimmed two pictures to size to fit the box on the form and left two untrimmed (but joined together). Since the instructions say don't trim, I'm concerned about sending the two trimmed photos. Shall I send the untrimmed along with the trimmed for good measure? I don't live near a Walgreens or CVS so can't use their services.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Walgreens has the settings but you have to help the photographer find them...

I sent ours in trimmed and they were accepted.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

LotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto

"Self-trimmed" are accepted.
I did my son's and got the passport back from the UK 21 days later
Old Nov 15th 2015, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Walgreens has the settings but you have to help the photographer find them...

I sent ours in trimmed and they were accepted.
They must have a lot of expats that I don't know about around us, since they knew exactly where to look and where to go...! Or they had just been trained...
Old Nov 15th 2015, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gorbert
Wow, I went to 2 different Walgreens and 1 CVS and none of them had either the 'British Passport' setting or even the correct background. White is not acceptable if you look at the rules.
Also, you cannot just trim down a US spec'd one. The crown to chin is too big and the background is wrong.
I called my local Walgreens and spoke to someone in the photo dept. They have the UK setting as an option. Sometimes the staff just don't know this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.