Reload this Page >

British OT moving to USA

British OT moving to USA

Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British OT moving to USA

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I thought there were easier visa routes for medical personnel? We have a newish lovely poster who is in North Texas who is a nurse I believe and was recruited from the USA. So I'm guessing the OP has the visa thing sorted.

Is there an OT US national forum? We have a great one for dentistry and that might be a better place to ask those questions.

I did a search and came up with a poster from years back who sounds remarkably like you but this one was really hoping to avoid the Masters!!
Usually only as most jobs are non cap for H1b

But most nursing positions do not qualify for H1b in the first place. I do now somebody who was one of the exceptions.

Back to the game. 43F out there at 6am and that is today's high.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 3:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Still don't understand why you think applying for an Immediate Relative Visa (IR-1) based on your marriage to a USC for over two years is so difficult and complex. You both live in the UK so she is able to do what we call direct consular filing for your visa. You have a medical, get a police clearance certificate and have an interview and that is it. 6 to 8 months later you have the visa in hand. The only stumbling block is the ability of your wife to be your sole financial sponsor under the I-864. If you have the required assets (3x the poverty guidelines if you are using assets), you are set to go. If not, then you need a joint sponsor which can be anyone who is living in the US and is either a USC or permanent resident.

Whichever way you decide to go, the best of luck to you.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 4:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Still don't understand why you think applying for an Immediate Relative Visa (IR-1) based on your marriage to a USC for over two years is so difficult and complex. ....
I agree. I am confused as to how someone who apparently knows nothing about the work visa process as it would apply to him also knows everything about the spouse visa process, sufficient to conclude that it is "too difficult" for them.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 4:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am also wondering which part(s) of the spouse immigrant visa the OP finds too difficult. That whole process is very straightforward and is pretty much a guarantee, unlike the work visa he's thinking is easier.

Rene
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I am a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant here in the US. You can check out the following websites to find out what life is like for an OT in the US. "Indeed" has lots of jobs posted, plus a multitude of comments on experiences in different areas of practice. I believe you will find it very different to practicing in the UK. The primary difference being that your services are likely to be reimbursed by insurance companies, to include the government, and private insurance. My experience is in the field of geriatrics (long term care/nursing homes). Whilst this area of practice is the most well paid, the demands from your employer are often brutal, and push your ethics to the limit due to "efficiency requirements" (you will see what I'm referring too if you read the posts on indeed). I am more than happy to chat more about these issues if you would like to private message me. Also, whilst your initial exam and credentialing (Registered OT - OT/R) will be through NBCOT, its not generally required to maintain it (every 3yrs) to seek and maintain employment, where as a state license, is.

I hope this helps a little.

AOTA.org
indeed.com/forum/job/Occupational-Therapist.html
Old Oct 18th 2017, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Mollie5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MRG75
Hi guys

I have just completed my Masters degree and I am about to start the OTED to enable me taking the NBCOT. I have about 4 years experience as an OT in the UK. I have also started discussions with a few agencies such as MEDPRO and Conexus as they all have various benefits such as helping with accommodation, flights, visas and of course finding employment. My wife is USA born and has lived here for 17 years and my 2 children (8 and 11) both have American passports and social security cards (both classed as US citizens from near birth).

We have looked at the spousal visa route and that is too difficult believe it or not as my wife would have to go over to the USA find a job and property and it is myself who is the main bread winner.

I am looking for any other British OT's that have been through this journey or are on this road currently for any advice that could help me.

The main questions I have are:

1. What are the main differences or similarities in terms of the role of an OT in both countries?

2. Any tips on the NBCOT exam? - It seems very medical orientated from the snippet I have seen.

Hope someone may have some experience in this.

Thanks

Mark Griffiths
Hi Mark,

I’m not an OT, but a PT in the U.K. and in the final stages of getting an EB2 visa, for myself, husband and 3 kids to move to Arizona (hopefully next year sometime). I appreciate it’s not the same exam, but have sat the equivalent, and spoken with several recruitment agencies and are with Connexus. If I can be of any help please feel free to PM me. 😀👍🏻
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mark , I’m an OT! . I’m a bit late getting into this thread so I’m not sure if you’re still around . I’m an OT from Scotland , made the move over here to the US 7 years ago on an H1b visa and secured my legal permanent residency through my employer too .
Feel free to message me if you wish to chat about the OT side of things . I’ve been an OT for 25 years , 16 of those being in the NHS and I won’t lie , it’s very different working over here in the US as an OT .
Like I said , feel free to wing me a message , I’m happy to answer your questions and to help you with the experiences I had with the whole process . I can also give you details of the recruitment agent I worked with who got me a great job with a strong company who used strong immigration lawyers . I moved with my family ( husband and two kids ) and they were my “ dependents “ on H4 visas which meant they couldn’t legally work until we secured permanent residency but with your family already being US citizens , you wouldn’t have that problem

Last edited by Tootsfromscotland; Dec 3rd 2017 at 4:28 pm.