Reload this Page >

British OT moving to USA

British OT moving to USA

Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

MRG75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British OT moving to USA

Hi guys

I have just completed my Masters degree and I am about to start the OTED to enable me taking the NBCOT. I have about 4 years experience as an OT in the UK. I have also started discussions with a few agencies such as MEDPRO and Conexus as they all have various benefits such as helping with accommodation, flights, visas and of course finding employment. My wife is USA born and has lived here for 17 years and my 2 children (8 and 11) both have American passports and social security cards (both classed as US citizens from near birth).

We have looked at the spousal visa route and that is too difficult believe it or not as my wife would have to go over to the USA find a job and property and it is myself who is the main bread winner.

I am looking for any other British OT's that have been through this journey or are on this road currently for any advice that could help me.

The main questions I have are:

1. What are the main differences or similarities in terms of the role of an OT in both countries?

2. Any tips on the NBCOT exam? - It seems very medical orientated from the snippet I have seen.

Hope someone may have some experience in this.

Thanks

Mark Griffiths
Old Oct 13th 2017, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British OT moving to USA

Just said in another thread too. If your wife hasn't already she should work towards gaining UK citizenship so she is free to move back to the UK in the future should things not work out in the USA.

Originally Posted by MRG75
We have looked at the spousal visa route and that is too difficult believe it or not as my wife would have to go over to the USA find a job and property and it is myself who is the main bread winner.
She wouldn't. Any US citizen or Legal Permanent Resident (read: green card) can be a financial sponsor. When you have the visa (IR-1) you both can move out there together and you will be a LPR from day 1.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mark, welcome to BE.
.... My wife is USA born and has lived here for 17 years and my 2 children (8 and 11) both have American passports and social security cards (both classed as US citizens from near birth). ....
As your wife was able to pass on US citizenship to her children, they were US citizens from birth. Having a US passport is a right of being a US citizen, but having a US passport isn't necessary to be a US citizen.
.... We have looked at the spousal visa route and that is too difficult believe it or not as my wife would have to go over to the USA find a job and property and it is myself who is the main bread winner. ....
You wouldn't say that if you knew how tough it is to get employer sponsorship for a visa - for most people it is, as near as makes no difference, "impossible".

Therefore I am at least 95% confident that your route to living in the US is through a spouse visa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 13th 2017 at 10:31 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The marriage based immigrant visa is still your best way forward. It's going to be very difficult to find an employer willing to sponsor you for a work visa.

Your assets are considered joint, so maybe if you have cash in the bank and property, you might have enough. Or, perhaps a family member or friend in the USA can be a joint sponsor. Worst case scenario, she moves ahead of you to the USA and secures employment.... others have lived apart and survived.

Rene
Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

melusine has a reputation beyond reputemelusine has a reputation beyond reputemelusine has a reputation beyond reputemelusine has a reputation beyond reputemelusine has a reputation beyond reputemelusine has a reputation beyond reputemelusine has a reputation beyond reputemelusine has a reputation beyond reputemelusine has a reputation beyond reputemelusine has a reputation beyond reputemelusine has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - this is exactly what we have had to do. My husband is over in the US now working and I am here in the UK - probably until January as I have to work my notice. We'll be apart for Christmas.

We had our Visas issued earlier this month but we needed my husband to be in the US and working first to make that possible. It isn't fun at all but it is doable - and in many cases it seems to be the only way to get the pieces of the immigration jigsaw to fit together.

melly
Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

I

Mark Griffiths
Does your wife not have family/friends in the US who would be prepared to act as joint sponsor for you.

As your children are US citizens any joint sponsor would only need to sponsor you, and for that they would need to earn around 20K USD to fulfill the 125% of poverty level in the US.

As said, usually, the spouse route is by far the easiest.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:41 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

I have just completed my Masters degree and I am about to start the OTED to enable me taking the NBCOT. I have about 4 years experience as an OT in the UK. I have also started discussions with a few agencies such as MEDPRO and Conexus as they all have various benefits such as helping with accommodation, flights, visas and of course finding employment. My wife is USA born and has lived here for 17 years and my 2 children (8 and 11) both have American passports and social security cards (both classed as US citizens from near birth).

I am looking for any other British OT's that have been through this journey or are on this road currently for any advice that could help me.

The main questions I have are:

1. What are the main differences or similarities in terms of the role of an OT in both countries?

2. Any tips on the NBCOT exam? - It seems very medical orientated from the snippet I have seen.

Hope someone may have some experience in this.

Thanks

Mark Griffiths
What is the meaning & relevance of all those acronyms? Never heard them in US immigration context. Guessing OT = Occupational Therapy?
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
As your children are US citizens any joint sponsor would only need to sponsor you, and for that they would need to earn around 20K USD to fulfill the 125% of poverty level in the US.
That figure is assuming there is only 1 person in the joint sponsor's household (2 total with the immigrant). The required income could be higher if the joint sponsor has a larger household. Details are on the I-864P.

Rene
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by RICH
What is the meaning & relevance of all those acronyms? Never heard them in US immigration context. Guessing OT = Occupational Therapy?
Yes, my guess was that OT means Occupational Therapy. The other acronyms seem to have to do with testing or qualifications for that.

Rene
Old Oct 14th 2017, 3:56 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, my guess was that OT means Occupational Therapy. The other acronyms seem to have to do with testing or qualifications for that.

Rene
So not relevant then?
OP needs to do the spouse visa. I only have a HND in HCAIM, and I managed it. It is not that hard as long as you have a US Spouse or Fiancee.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:45 am
Just Joined

MRG75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your contributions so far guys - yes, OT is occupational therapy and NBCOT is the exam you need to take to practice OT in the USA. To be honest the spouse visa is too difficult after investigating this and we have decided to go via the healthcare agencies who can assist with employment and visas etc and do have a fair amount of success. The only points I need help with is the 2 questions I have posted regarding difference in OT roles between the two countries and the NBCOT exam if anyone has had any experience with this.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 11:13 am
BE Irregular

Thanks for your contributions so far guys - yes, OT is occupational therapy and NBCOT is the exam you need to take to practice OT in the USA. To be honest the spouse visa is too difficult after investigating this and we have decided to go via the healthcare agencies who can assist with employment and visas etc and do have a fair amount of success. The only points I need help with is the 2 questions I have posted regarding difference in OT roles between the two countries and the NBCOT exam if anyone has had any experience with this.
OK understood. I have been following this site for over 10 years. I do not think there is much experience here in the area you are asking about. I'll be happy to be proved wrong on that
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know nothing about OT but it sounds you are not even qualified to work in the sector in the US?

May take some time but the Spousal route is much more certain.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly I'm not sure of anyone here who has gone that route as an OT (at least who is still active).

There are lots of us who can answer questions for the spouse route.

The USA is very hard to move to via employment and is only getting made harder. Good luck.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:48 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I thought there were easier visa routes for medical personnel? We have a newish lovely poster who is in North Texas who is a nurse I believe and was recruited from the USA. So I'm guessing the OP has the visa thing sorted.

Is there an OT US national forum? We have a great one for dentistry and that might be a better place to ask those questions.

I did a search and came up with a poster from years back who sounds remarkably like you but this one was really hoping to avoid the Masters!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.