Reload this Page >

British Green Card Holder + US Wife & Kids

British Green Card Holder + US Wife & Kids

Old Mar 9th 2018, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

mnorbury is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Green Card Holder + US Wife & Kids

Hi,

I'm a British national with a Green Card via marriage to a US citizen. We also have two children who were both born in the US.

We are thinking about moving back to the UK. I'm currently eligible to apply for US citizenship.

My main question is, should I still continue down the path to US citizenship if we were to move back to the UK (before the move back)? I carry a certain amount of stress and anxiety due to me being on a different passport to my wife and kids. Becoming a US citizen would certainly make that aspect of stress disappear.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 9th 2018, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Green Card Holder + US Wife & Kids

Originally Posted by mnorbury
Any thoughts?
Consider whether you wish to file a US tax return for the rest of your life. Of course, with a US citizen wife, you are already dragged into this to some extent, even if you live in the UK.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Consider whether you wish to file a US tax return for the rest of your life. Of course, with a US citizen wife, you are already dragged into this to some extent, even if you live in the UK.
Good point.

My real fear is that since my wife/kids and I are on different passports a situation could arise whereby we can't live in the same country. This may be me over worrying, but if not I'd happily file tax returns forever.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

If it was me I would absolutely get my US citizenship first. You will then be able to easily come back with your US spouse and children, with no issues.

If your move to the UK does not work out you will be free to move.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 7:10 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if you return to the UK your Green card is void after 12 months.
Get the natralization out of the way first.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
If it was me I would absolutely get my US citizenship first. You will then be able to easily come back with your US spouse and children, with no issues.

If your move to the UK does not work out you will be free to move.
That is pretty much my instinct. Thank you for the feedback.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

That is pretty much my instinct. Thank you for the feedback.
Though N400 processing is taking around a year at the moment so best start it sooner rather than later
Old Mar 9th 2018, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
Though N400 processing is taking around a year at the moment so best start it sooner rather than later
I think it varies depending where you live. Even just picking a few different service centers here in SoCal their own estimates range from 6 to 10 months.

OP: We're getting citizenship before leaving the country. We may be back one day and wan the door to be relatively open, than lose our GCs and have to start all over again with visas.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Get that citizenship. Yeah, you'll have to file taxes but the US tax burden is adjusted against taxes paid in the other country. But yeah, if capital gains is taxed at 15% in the UK and 20% in the US, you will owe uncle sam 5% for any cap gains in the UK.

The price you pay to have 2 great passports and citizenships i suppose
Old Mar 9th 2018, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, I know many green card holders who have managed to maintain their green cards for decades despite not living here. But that is becoming much riskier, and you have to visit the US often and perhaps show ties here all along
Old Mar 9th 2018, 10:14 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I would want to have the same citizenships as my kids.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 10:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Good point.

My real fear is that since my wife/kids and I are on different passports a situation could arise whereby we can't live in the same country. This may be me over worrying, but if not I'd happily file tax returns forever.
Aren't your children also British citizens?