Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Big Zoo is dead: Need advice on cheap calling to Europe

Big Zoo is dead: Need advice on cheap calling to Europe

Old Jan 30th 2005, 1:49 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Zoo is dead: Need advice on cheap calling to Europe

hmm

funny that a couple of new members join and the first things they do are advertise calling cards?

call me cynical if you like

Originally Posted by digitalwolf
<<spam removed>>

Last edited by NC Penguin; Feb 15th 2005 at 3:08 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 9:11 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Tel3 is the best deal I've found (link below).

There is no connection fee (unless you're using a pay phone) and it's 5 cents per minute (2 minute rounding I think), and 9 cents to UK mobiles which seems to make it one of the best deals. There are no monthly fees and it tops up automatically from your credit card when you are down to a low balance. I've been using it with no issues for over a year and a half now.
The facts that there are no connection fees and mobile phone calls are cheap make all the difference to me - there's nothing more annoying than being charged a minimum of 49 cents for connecting to an answer machine. I also like the fact you set up a number as your access number and then never have to enter a pin number if you're using that line:

https://www.tel3.com/marketamerica/howitworks.aspx
Old Jan 30th 2005, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCMark
A few people here recommended Big Zoo for calls to Europe. Great service and low rates, unfortunately they went out of business.

Any other suggestions for cheap calls to Europe. Calling card/access numbers ok. Thanks
Not sure of your location, but I did use Bellsouth for unlimited claling to the UK and Germany for $39.99 a month which I thought was pretty good.

Now that I am only going to use my cellphone and get rid of my landline, I used Sprint and they are $4 a month to get UK calls for 5 cents per minute. I think that's a prety good deal - for $35 a month you get 300 anytime minutes, free evenings and weekends, and just add on the 4 bucks for international calling, then you are 5c per min.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:47 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
Not sure of your location, but I did use Bellsouth for unlimited claling to the UK and Germany for $39.99 a month which I thought was pretty good.

Now that I am only going to use my cellphone and get rid of my landline, I used Sprint and they are $4 a month to get UK calls for 5 cents per minute. I think that's a prety good deal - for $35 a month you get 300 anytime minutes, free evenings and weekends, and just add on the 4 bucks for international calling, then you are 5c per min.

I use the unlimited bellsouth

for 40 bucks its a great deal
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I use the unlimited bellsouth

for 40 bucks its a great deal
Try ....www.skype.com

We use this for all our calls.
RL.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redlobster
Try ....www.skype.com

We use this for all our calls.
RL.
Had mixed reviews...really does need broadband...you tried it on dial up out of curiosity?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:37 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Big Zoo is dead: Need advice on cheap calling to Europe

I keep it really simple and just use MCI as my long distance and internation carrier. You have to know the riules though. It's about $5 a month and no per call connect charges:

The rate to the UK is currently 7c a minute but I get about 15% back in Block-Buster free video rentals. That's equivalent to 5.5 c a minute (3p).

I like it becuase you get an MCI calling card that lets you call the UK from any USA phone / hotel in the USA and your home phone is still only billed the 5c a minute. It's great calling friends whilst we are on vacation in the USA

It also lets you from the UK, call your USA home collect (assuming someones at home in the USA to take the call ... for the same 5.5c. Make sure you call the UK number for the MCI operator and ask them to call collect to your home only. I've done it for years.

I also program my Cell Phone with the MCI calling card and pin numbers and this allows me to call the UK too for the same 5.5c plus any cell minutes if they are not free (mine are).

If you are not on a long distance plan with your cell phone carrier you can name MCI as your LD carrier and then you are billed on your home bill at 5.5c a minute direct. I did this before I switched to a LD plan with Verizon.

Now Verizon are buying MCI I am hoping Verizon will match the 5.5c international rate. Verizon wireless is still $0.65c a minute.

Does anyone else remember AT&T and $1.65c a minute with a $5 connection charge - in 1994 if I remember correctly.

At 5.5c a minute with MCI, we have trouble spending $40 a month even with my wife on the phone to her UK friends ALL the time.

Been with MCI for 6 years and zero problems.

Last edited by franc111s; Feb 15th 2005 at 12:42 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vikochka
<spam>
well if you going to spam vickrub... you must learn to spell the URL
of the product your trying to sell ...

Last edited by Bob; Jul 21st 2005 at 2:08 am. Reason: removed the spam
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

I signed up to http://www.onesuite.com/ after someone on here recommended them.

cheap as chips!

MB
Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

I signed up for a vonage home phone, which is $25.99 a month for unlimited US calls and 2c per minute to the UK. I think they have a $12.99 or $14.99 plan with 500 US minutes and 2c to UK.

If anyone is interested, I can provide a referral code to get us both a free month or something like that ;-)