Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

best way to spend UK money in US?

best way to spend UK money in US?

Old Jul 26th 2015, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

greymann is an unknown quantity at this point
Default best way to spend UK money in US?

Wondering the smartest way to use UK account while the U.S. I figured it was better to use our CC/ATM for expenses rather than exchanging cash at the airport but need to check with bank on extra charges. So far I've read that loading a good travel card for USA to avoid fees seems like best option. Any advice?
Old Jul 26th 2015, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best way to spend UK money in US?

Credit card. Preferably one that doesn't charge international transaction fees. Then pay off the credit card from your UK bank. Plus some carrying around money from the ATM.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 26th 2015 at 7:53 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 10:18 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Halifax Clarity or Post Office credit card.

/Thread
Old Jul 27th 2015, 3:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Credit card for almost everything. Just about everywhere takes Visa, acceptance of Amex and Discover is widespread but not universal. Get a few dollars in cash if you really must, perhaps $4-$5/ day, but you can probably get by without even that.

Even if your credit card has a transaction fee, it is likely less in aggregate than the "left over" cash that you'd otherwise take home with you, discover is not viable to change back into GBP, then put in your sock draw and eventually lose.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 6:51 am
Just Joined

greymann is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys
Old Jul 27th 2015, 5:04 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

While I found people use CC for even a single coffee at Starbucks (no signature or pin, they just swipe it most places below about $20), I have also found that a lot of small business (especially in NYC) are cash only, so I always carry about $200 in cash in case I go for a dinner or drinks, etc. To keep down ATM fees when I was using UK cards I would take out the max amount each time I used the ATM.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Tom1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Halifax appears to be the best CC - have a read of this useful post for a more in-depth study:

15 cheapest ways to get travel money - MSE
Old Jul 29th 2015, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Fairfx credit card. They offer a reasonable exchange rate, which with a bit of forward planning can work out very well (loading the card when the rate is in the pound's favour). The only charges I incur are the rare times I use an ATM, for which 2$ is charged by Fairfx and 3$ by Wells Fargo.

Remember that whatever card you use in an ATM, to withdraw cash, you will almost certainly incur a charge from the bank that operates the ATM as well as your card issuer's charges.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
.... Remember that whatever card you use in an ATM, to withdraw cash, you will almost certainly incur a charge from the bank that operates the ATM as well as your card issuer's charges.
So that's another reason to obtain minimal cash and just use a credit card for everything.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So that's another reason to obtain minimal cash and just use a credit card for everything.
Or bank with a bank that has international agreements where you can use ATM's in some countries free of charge at certain banks.

For instance B of A has agreements with some banks where you can use ATM's without charge.

In Canada for instance B of A account holders can use Scotia Bank ATM's free of charge, and Scotia Bank customers can use B of A machines for free.

They have agreements with banks in several other countries.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposi...aq-atm-fees.go

Foreign currency fee of 3% applies, but many credit cards also charge that.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Or bank with a bank that has international agreements where you can use ATM's in some countries free of charge at certain banks.

For instance B of A has agreements with some banks where you can use ATM's without charge.

In Canada for instance B of A account holders can use Scotia Bank ATM's free of charge, and Scotia Bank customers can use B of A machines for free.

They have agreements with banks in several other countries.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposi...aq-atm-fees.go

Foreign currency fee of 3% applies, but many credit cards also charge that.
Yeah, but as I said in #4 above you usually end up with left over foreign currency that is useless and cannot be changed back into economically into US dollars. Using a credit card helps minimise the amount of cash you might be left holding.