Reload this Page >

Best mobile phone provider

Best mobile phone provider

Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

highland_123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best mobile phone provider

Hi everyone,

I am moving over to the States at the end of July to start my new job. I am wanting to keep hold of my Iphone I use in the UK at the moment and possibility get a sim only plan. If I get my UK phone unblocked which mobile provider would you recommend?

Thanks W
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best mobile phone provider

I use a sim only plan from T-Mobile and it works fine for me. I brought a Google Pixel XL from UK over, but have been successful using an iPhone with them in the past.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on location and budget. In cities you can get service much more cheaply from local or regional phone companies, but service in the outer suburbs and away from cities may be unreliable or unavailable.

If cost isn't an issue then Verizon is probably the best overall, nationwide. ATT is a close second-best. Sprint and T-Mobile are cheaper but have less coverage, especially outside of urban areas.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Depends on location and budget. In cities you can get service much more cheaply from local or regional phone companies, but service in the outer suburbs and away from cities may be unreliable or unavailable.

If cost isn't an issue then Verizon is probably the best overall, nationwide. ATT is a close second-best.
What he said

What iPhone do you have? They're fairly universal but (for example) a UK purchased iPhone 7 won't work on Verizon.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

highland_123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies so far. It is an iphone 5s. Starting to age a bit I am still happy with it. Very much team Iphone and I think just with moving over to begin with I'll be paying out for a lot of things. Just out of curiousity, if I were to get a new iphone and plan what would be the minimum I would be paying per month? Would I need to have built up credit?

TIA.

W
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you are bringing a phone from the UK the only 2 providers in the US who use sim cards are ATT and T-Mobile. You can put a sim in a Verizon for use overseas, but I don't think you can use a sim on their US network.

Any of the 3rd party providers who piggy back off of ATT or T-Mobile should have sim only plans as well. ATT and their partners have slightly better coverage than T-Mobile, but cost a bit more (well in Oregon anyway).
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

A UK iPhone 5S isn't going to work too well in the US - it won't work on Verizon (or Sprint, but they're rubbish so no great loss) full stop because it hasn't got CDMA and it doesn't support most of AT&T or T-Mobile's LTE bands.

Monthly pricing varies depending on how much data you require, but be prepared for it to be a lot higher than you're used to paying in the UK. As an example my Verizon bill is about $140 a month for 2 iPhones and an iPad sharing 24GB of data, unlimited domestic calls and texts and 1000 international minutes. That's for the cell service only, none of the devices are financed.

If you have no credit and want a postpay account you'll probably have to put down a deposit and might not be able to finance a phone right away. I had to put down $400 per line when I signed up to T-Mobile after first arriving, but switched to Verizon after a year and didn't have to put down anything as my credit score was good enough at that point.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lansbury
If you are bringing a phone from the UK the only 2 providers in the US who use sim cards are ATT and T-Mobile. You can put a sim in a Verizon for use overseas, but I don't think you can use a sim on their US network.
All the networks use SIM cards now - LTE is a GSM technology. You can just swap phones on Verizon by switching the SIM as long as it supports CDMA but Sprint isn't so simple.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
All the networks use SIM cards now - LTE is a GSM technology. You can just swap phones on Verizon by switching the SIM as long as it supports CDMA but Sprint isn't so simple.
I think you are saying what I was thinking

Unless a phone has CDMA it will not work on Verizon or Sprint. As UK phones I thought were sim only they only work with an ATT or T-Mobile sim card. Has that changed?
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, for example if you have a UK iPhone 6 or 6S you can just put a Verizon SIM in and it'll work fine.

Not that many phones sold outside the US have CDMA though, Android phones generally don't.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 4:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
If you are bringing a phone from the UK the only 2 providers in the US who use sim cards are ATT and T-Mobile. You can put a sim in a Verizon for use overseas, but I don't think you can use a sim on their US network. ....
I think most Verizon phones are now sim-based, and have been for 3-4 years, after Verizon built an LTE network (LTE being the next generation of GSM technology).
Old Apr 17th 2017, 4:18 pm

Yes, for example if you have a UK iPhone 6 or 6S you can just put a Verizon SIM in and it'll work fine.

Not that many phones sold outside the US have CDMA though, Android phones generally don't.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think most Verizon phones are now sim-based, and have been for 3-4 years, after Verizon built an LTE network (LTE being the next generation of GSM technology).
I knew Verizon phones had a sim card but thought that was for use overseas with local sims.

Live and learn.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

We are bringing over our iPhones 6s when we move over to the US next month so hopefully they will work, should we get them unlocked before we leave the UK?
Old Apr 17th 2017, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sarasota chic
We are bringing over our iPhones 6s when we move over to the US next month so hopefully they will work, should we get them unlocked before we leave the UK?
Yes, if you get them unlocked an iPhone 6S will work on any US network.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if you get them unlocked an iPhone 6S will work on any US network.
Thank you I'll get them unlocked next week.😀

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.