British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Best/Cheapest way to ship things to the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-cheapest-way-ship-things-uk-716133/)

Ja5on May 8th 2011 3:06 pm

Best/Cheapest way to ship things to the UK?

Well after either usps or the royal mail have lost the $80 worth of clothes I sent to the UK a couple of months ago I was wondering which is the best way to send things?

My daughter still lives in the UK and I like to send things over every few months but I don't wanna send things if they are going to get lost.

On another note, is there any UK sites that I can use a US card to pay and have them shipped to my daughter? Also is there and US sites that I can use and have things shipped to the UK. Thanks.

Bob May 8th 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Best/Cheapest way to ship things to the UK?

The normal mail, generally...shit gets lost all the time unfortunately, even if you used FedEx/DHL/UPS

Most UK sites will accept a US card, Next, M&S, River Island etc...you'll find quite a few threads on people using those sites to send stuff to the US, so the card isn't the problem. Might want to let your bank know you are using the card for online purchases out of the US so they don't put a hold on it though.

As for US sites, for clothes, I'd have suggested Zara and stuff like that, but realised they aren't American....Amazon is probably a safe bet though :)

Ja5on May 8th 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks Bob, I'll have a look around and see what's about.

Englishmum May 8th 2011 3:42 pm

I agree with Bob - http://www.amazon.co.uk is the way to go! :)

Brat1 May 8th 2011 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9350860)
The normal mail, generally...shit gets lost all the time unfortunately, even if you used FedEx/DHL/UPS

Most UK sites will accept a US card, Next, M&S, River Island etc...you'll find quite a few threads on people using those sites to send stuff to the US, so the card isn't the problem. Might want to let your bank know you are using the card for online purchases out of the US so they don't put a hold on it though.

As for US sites, for clothes, I'd have suggested Zara and stuff like that, but realised they aren't American....Amazon is probably a safe bet though :)

Bob, that's interesting. I tried to order clothes from River Island when my daughter was over in the UK last summer, with my Chase card and they wouldn't accept it. Do you know if this is a new thing??

Bob May 8th 2011 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9351105)
Bob, that's interesting. I tried to order clothes from River Island when my daughter was over in the UK last summer, with my Chase card and they wouldn't accept it. Do you know if this is a new thing??

no idea...probably something to do with your card? Though RI might have changed as well, but that seems unlikely.

rallybug May 9th 2011 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9351105)

Where was the shipping address? Even though most websites will have it set up for different billing and shipping addresses, I think that some places only like to send to the billing address :unsure:

Brat1 May 9th 2011 11:25 am

Originally Posted by rallybug (Post 9352227)
Where was the shipping address? Even though most websites will have it set up for different billing and shipping addresses, I think that some places only like to send to the billing address :unsure:

Aaahh that might explain it. I was trying to get it shipped to my mum's address in Scotland and tried my Chase card and also my Clydesdale Bank card, both of which are linked to my address here in the US so that would make sense - thanks :)

Bob May 9th 2011 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by rallybug (Post 9352227)

Yeah, that happens a lot with first time orders.