Reload this Page >

Paying US credit card from UK

Paying US credit card from UK

Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

scollinguk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying US credit card from UK

Hi All!!

My wife is a US citizen that has lived in the UK since she was 3 and we are currently in the process for getting a visa for myself (actually got the confirmation letter this week so will have my letter within 3 weeks!) and she is there at the moment visiting her dad.

She hasnt ever used her credit rating over there so we opened bank accounts over Christmas while we were there and tried to sign up for a few credit cards for her.

Well she was accepted by Capital One and has sent back the information today to get the card. We intend just to use it a little each month and then pay it off in full to get the ball rolling for her.

The question is about paying off the card, we know we will pay fees for using the card in the UK but long term it will be worth it to get her credit rating building while we are still here.

Does anyone know of a method to pay off the credit card directly from her HSBC uk account or do we need to use some other method to do the monthly payments?

Cheers,

Scott
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying US credit card from UK

Originally Posted by scollinguk

Does anyone know of a method to pay off the credit card directly from her HSBC uk account or do we need to use some other method to do the monthly payments?
Whatever the credit card companies want...best would be using xe.com to wire over money either direct or into a US bank account and then e-bill pay the bills.

You don't need to be really using the card though...and you'd be better off with a AmEx card if you've had that for around 12 months you can transfer the history which is a big boost to getting decent credit history and score as one US credit card alone means bugger all I'm afraid.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask you how you were both able to open a bank account in the US? I was told by my bank (I am the USC) that my UK husband could not be on my account until he has a Social Security Number. Which we won't have until he gets he PR status.

Thank you!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikechristina
Can I ask you how you were both able to open a bank account in the US? I was told by my bank (I am the USC) that my UK husband could not be on my account until he has a Social Security Number. Which we won't have until he gets he PR status.

Thank you!
I opened a US Bank Account (Bank of America) in January without a SSN. Just went in to the Branch, used my UK driving license and Passport as id. Used a friend's US address. No problems.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikechristina

Thank you!
Depends on the bank.

The bank doesn't require a SSN unless it is their own procedures. All they need is proof of who you are, a passport number is fine. You might have to ask to speak to a supervisor type person and it might make them grumpy because something that isn't SSN might not fit into the default screen of the dodgy software they use to open accounts, but that's besides the point.

If the bank kicks up a fuss still, go next door to the next bank.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

scollinguk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RayM
I opened a US Bank Account (Bank of America) in January without a SSN. Just went in to the Branch, used my UK driving license and Passport as id. Used a friend's US address. No problems.
Exactly the same here, Bank of America seem to know it the best. We did it in a small town called Clovis, NM. They have absolutely no tourist trade there and no foreign community that I am aware of and the person that did it knew straight away.

I'll have a look at xe.com and wiring transfers through them.

Cheers for the help everyone!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

Exactly the same here, Bank of America seem to know it the best. We did it in a small town called Clovis, NM. They have absolutely no tourist trade there and no foreign community that I am aware of and the person that did it knew straight away.

I'll have a look at xe.com and wiring transfers through them.

Cheers for the help everyone!
Check out HiFx for transfers as well. Very reliable, good rates and extremely helpful.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute

Very Helpful with the Bank info! Thank you very much.
Old May 4th 2011, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All!!

My wife is a US citizen that has lived in the UK since she was 3 and we are currently in the process for getting a visa for myself (actually got the confirmation letter this week so will have my letter within 3 weeks!) and she is there at the moment visiting her dad.

She hasnt ever used her credit rating over there so we opened bank accounts over Christmas while we were there and tried to sign up for a few credit cards for her.

Well she was accepted by Capital One and has sent back the information today to get the card. We intend just to use it a little each month and then pay it off in full to get the ball rolling for her.

The question is about paying off the card, we know we will pay fees for using the card in the UK but long term it will be worth it to get her credit rating building while we are still here.

Cheers,

Scott

I have transeferred several thousand from Uk to US via a company online called Global Currency Exchange
Exchange rate is far higher than banks, bulding societies or travel agencies.
Old May 9th 2011, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bob
You don't need to be really using the card though...and you'd be better off with a AmEx card if you've had that for around 12 months you can transfer the history which is a big boost to getting decent credit history and score as one US credit card alone means bugger all I'm afraid.
Is that right? That you can transfer an AMEX card credit history? I'm moving back to the UK in August and have had an AMEX Optima for years with a perfect repayment history. Of course, it's an Optima and not the green AMEX, but would the same apply? That would be a huge help as Barclaycard closed my account after 30 years because I did not have a UK bank account or UK billing address. I have savings accounts in the UK, but not a current account.