Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BBC1 + BBC2 Streaming Again

BBC1 + BBC2 Streaming Again

Old May 4th 2005, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Feezy has a spectacular aura aboutFeezy has a spectacular aura aboutFeezy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: BBC1 + BBC2 Streaming Again

Originally Posted by elfman
Possibly because people outside the UK don't pay the license fee?
Funnily enough, that HAD occurred to me
Old May 4th 2005, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Ikke will become famous soon enoughIkke will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by goldie
But then why can't we be given the option to pay for a tv license so that we are able to see the real BBC?? I have written to them also but don't know if anything will come of it. Some other countries including Cyprus are able to view these channels, so why not the US?
Here in Belgium we get BBC1 and BBC2 on cable - the local cable company just picks it up from the satellite feed and distributes it, same is done in The Netherlands. Before they used the digital satellite signal there was a big antenna somewhere on the French coast and they distributed it by cable from there. Not sure if they are paying the BBC for this, but as it has been done for years it must be legal. We don't pay any extra for it, it's included in the standard cable package which is about $140 per year.
Old May 4th 2005, 5:03 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Probably copyright issues as well...lot of it could be the music used in the shows aren't licensed to be seen in other countries, or don't have permission to do so, so the beeb is restricting who has access...

cack again. if you are paying a fee to access the site, then surely the mighty Beeb can toss a few more dollars in royalties to the companies. this isn't hard to do.
Old May 4th 2005, 5:07 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking a wee bit harder..... it's probably crap BBC America that has exclusive rights to air or not to air shows in the US.

BBC America must die. Is there ANYTHING on there that is worth having it over any of the other BBC channels?!?!
Old May 4th 2005, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Feezy has a spectacular aura aboutFeezy has a spectacular aura aboutFeezy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Thinking a wee bit harder..... it's probably crap BBC America that has exclusive rights to air or not to air shows in the US.

BBC America must die. Is there ANYTHING on there that is worth having it over any of the other BBC channels?!?!
Ergh, BBC America! About as satisfying as that horrible so-called Cadbury chocolate that's actually made by Hershey's and tastes like sick!
Old May 4th 2005, 1:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

cack again. if you are paying a fee to access the site, then surely the mighty Beeb can toss a few more dollars in royalties to the companies. this isn't hard to do.
probably not, but might not be worth the hassle or money, can't be cheap having multicast streams that are that good quality for loads of people to nab...
Old May 4th 2005, 1:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not really...the mystery murder mondays were good, but then they kept repeating all the shows, which is the biggest gripe about it, and all the house deco shows....
Old May 4th 2005, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Not really...the mystery murder mondays were good, but then they kept repeating all the shows, which is the biggest gripe about it, and all the house deco shows....
A lot of the programmes shown on BBCAmerica aren't even BBC programmes.
Old May 4th 2005, 3:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by mandpete
A lot of the programmes shown on BBCAmerica aren't even BBC programmes.
I don't get bbca anyway, only see it when up at the folks place, but now there ain't any mystery monday, hardly anything worth watching...shame really, had potential to be pretty good..
Old May 4th 2005, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Here's the response I got from the Beeb. I'm no technical expert (okay, I know sod-all) so I don't know if I'm being blown off, although it sounded convincing - am I just gullible?

Dear Fiona

There are a number of reasons being the restrictions of certain online content to the UK. For our general online broadband content such as the Doctor Confidential and BBC News streaming it is down to the high cost of broadband content. The BBC has therefore decided to limit access to the BBC broadband content to people in the UK in order to ensure best value for the UK licence fee.

However with the possible trials of multicasting* there are far more complicated issues involved. The first of these is simply to do with rights issues. A good example of this was during the Olympics in 2004 when the BBC allowed people within the UK to watch all the BBC's output for free on the internet. This had to be restricted because the BBC only has rights to show their content within the UK. It would have been a breach of contract to allow viewing in say the USA where another channel had the rights to show the Olympic Games.

As you can imaging it has been a large struggle to even get the trials started for people in the UK. The unicast streams that were available over the weekend should not have even been accessible to UK customers at present. If once full trials start in the future to allow access to these for non license fee holders would annoy and upset those who do pay for the services the BBC provides.

However, that is not to say we are totally unaware of the potential market, especially among expats, involved with some kind of subscription service. The main issue here will be rights issues and costs (which can be reduced with multicasts). Currently BBC Worldwide is the company that distributes BBC material to non UK countries. We are in negotiations with them however there is no time scale at all as to when this may even be examined properly.

It might be worth contacting BBC worldwide directly via http://www.bbcworldwide.com/contact/us/default.htm to see if they have any further details.
Old May 4th 2005, 5:21 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Feezy
Here's the response I got from the Beeb. I'm no technical expert (okay, I know sod-all) so I don't know if I'm being blown off, although it sounded convincing - am I just gullible?
You are being blown off pure and simple, and told to go bother some other poor ******.

If everyone paid a subscription equal to the broadcast licence fee, it would sustain the costs of multicasting. if they're bothered about international programmes like the Olympics, then restrict it to BBC only shows. If the content is coming in from other countries, Beeb Worldwide knows exactly who and how to pay for royalties; it's bullshit that they couldn't work out whom to reimburse for royalties based upon subscription locations.

They could at least trial it in the US, Oz, NZ, and Canada. That'd simplify life a lot and show them their potential revenue stream. I'm sure they saw the traffic shoot skyhigh when they accidentally left it open. They know about and bitch about sites like uknova.

There is absolutely nothing technical preventing you seeing that broadcasting. It's right back to money, how much, and who gets it.
Old May 4th 2005, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

You are being blown off pure and simple, and told to go bother some other poor ******.

If everyone paid a subscription equal to the broadcast licence fee, it would sustain the costs of multicasting. if they're bothered about international programmes like the Olympics, then restrict it to BBC only shows. If the content is coming in from other countries, Beeb Worldwide knows exactly who and how to pay for royalties; it's bullshit that they couldn't work out whom to reimburse for royalties based upon subscription locations.

They could at least trial it in the US, Oz, NZ, and Canada. That'd simplify life a lot and show them their potential revenue stream. I'm sure they saw the traffic shoot skyhigh when they accidentally left it open. They know about and bitch about sites like uknova.

There is absolutely nothing technical preventing you seeing that broadcasting. It's right back to money, how much, and who gets it.

I was thinking along those lines but you've inspired me now - I can be such a wimpy Brit Right then, onwards and upwards! The crusade continues!
Old May 4th 2005, 6:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I was thinking along those lines but you've inspired me now - I can be such a wimpy Brit Right then, onwards and upwards! The crusade continues!
goodluck
Old May 4th 2005, 6:27 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

And don't forget the BBC argument is flawed because all of the USA content is available over the internet too right - Radio ? TV ? etc.,

The internet is a medium, if someone figures out a way to exploit that then it's not the BBC's fault. Typical British - we want to be so "proper"...
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

rahul1014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: BBC1 + BBC2 Streaming Again

I seriously need some help guys!

I cannot live without BBC and I having a very difficult time trying to find a stream for BBC1, BBC2 and BBC World.

I saw this forum at first and was happy that finally I would get the stream link but the ones posted on the first page aren't working. I live in Philadelphia.

SO, if you have a link please share it with me.

I am also a die hard fan of Top Gear too. If you know about Top Gear then I think you know what I talking about.

Please help me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.