Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bankruptcy in US/ Mortgage in UK

Bankruptcy in US/ Mortgage in UK

Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice
Default Re: Bankruptcy in US/ Mortgage in UK

Originally Posted by dunroving
Oops, got you and the OP mixed up.
It's ok, my fault for hijacking the thread, sorry to the OP
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Sticks neck out
This is totally unsubstantiated but still...I thought that Home loans in the US were non recursive so that people could hand the keys in and walk away from the debt. Unlike other countries where people are still liable for any shortfall. Isn't this what caused all the problem with home loans / recession this time around?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:31 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Sticks neck out
This is totally unsubstantiated but still...I thought that Home loans in the US were non recursive so that people could hand the keys in and walk away from the debt. Unlike other countries where people are still liable for any shortfall. Isn't this what caused all the problem with home loans / recession this time around?
this is true in some states, not all..

Last edited by lisag8070; Aug 21st 2010 at 11:34 am.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh okay, I do know of a couple of people who have done this, some here in NH and I was pretty sure they did not have a problem buying another home

So yes a state thing then.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
this is true in some states, not all..
It's even more complicated than that... in some states, loans are only non-recourse (meaning they have no recourse other than taking the house) on "purchase" loans. If you've refinanced, you may have unknowingly converted from a non-recourse to a recourse loan.

Here's some state by state information:

http://www.helocbasics.com/list-of-n...ency-statutes/
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:56 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I know some people who moved back to the UK whose US mortgage was underwater - they appeared to have have agreed with the bank a short-sale whereby the bank is going to eat the loss.

I think the fact that they were leaving the country helped persuade the bank to agree to the short-sale.

I think it still has some negative on your credit report but not as much as a foreclosure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_sale_(real_estate)
http://www.housingwatch.com/2010/03/...st-from-obama/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_526701.html
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:12 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It's even more complicated than that... in some states, loans are only non-recourse (meaning they have no recourse other than taking the house) on "purchase" loans. If you've refinanced, you may have unknowingly converted from a non-recourse to a recourse loan.

Here's some state by state information:

http://www.helocbasics.com/list-of-n...ency-statutes/
oh yes I agree, this is especially true in North Carolina, but with each state having different laws about this, (and me having no idea which state the OP was relating to) I left it open as anybody who is thinking of going down this route really really needs to read and understand the laws from their own state..

great link by the way..
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:40 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pauljarv
Time for a bit of a vent, mostly at ourselves but here's the story (and reason for trying to get the 401k money in the thread below).

We bought our house in 2004/5 and instantly had problems. It was towards the top end of our price range. I didn't want it, honest, but was talked into it as it was a "great town, great schools......" all true "houses in this town always sell quickly...." not true! As I said it was on the verge of being too expensive but then the roof needed replacement and meant we had to spend a ton on new roof, kitchen reno and we needed other bits and pieces too.

To cut a long story short it's now on the market for less than we paid before we did work on it but I had saved and put a lot of money down so we're about breaking even. Having said this my work transfer home is happening now, any renters would be paying less than our mortgage and the place doesn't look like selling even at the price it's at.

We're going to go lower and are doing our best to get out of trouble, I am not trying to wheedle out of any debts but we are facing the prospect of giving our house back to the bank.

If this happened and in the future we try for a mortgage again how much impact does it have in the UK? I'm guessing you have to disclose a previous bankruptcy but what is the best thing to do? Thanks in advance.
I have no experience but in theory, if you walk away from the house and back to the UK I doubt it will affect you at all
1: you DONT use US SS numbers there
2: you dont use US credit agencies
3: the only people that DO come after you in a foreign country is the IRS (figures) !! so if your ok with your taxes i dont see how they would find you if you moved back and vanished....
and the IRS wont come after for a couple hundred bucks, it would have to be thousands,...
Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

britmomma is an unknown quantity at this point

Collowman is right. We purchased a home in the UK about 4 years ago although we have always maintained a UK bank account. We got a crap loan as non-res. but we got one. They did not ask for one single bit of US information not even a tax return. Only used our former payment history with Halifax. I'm in the real estate biz here in the Shady State and the mortgage industry does not use any international credit checks at all, ever on residential purchases.

But...........file bankruptcy and get a judgement order they can pursue you for the debt. In Florida it is for 20 years and this varies from state to state. Sell on a short sale and negotiate the judgement off the sale and the bank will issue you with a 1099 and the IRS will be looking for you. Either way you will be back in the UK having your first decent pint in years so let 'em look for you!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the responses. Will check if we have a non-recourse loan, we had another loan for some of the repairs but hopefully it's non-recourse type as it was only a fraction of the mortgage, not strictly a re-fi.

Will also look into short sales. Thanks again to all.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

MaineLeedsbloke is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all, after looking into this recently, I am pretty sure now that when you return to the UK, your US nightmare will not affect you because the British banks will not check foreign credit. However your UK credit history will be blank if it has been longer than 7 years since you had any UK credit activity, which will prevent you from buying a house for a few years as some lenders consider someone with no credit history worse than someone with bad credit history. As for your US house, I would go for broke and try and do a "Short Sale" where you get the bank to accept whatever you can sell it for. It is in their interest to do this as foreclosure tends to be more expensive for banks. A friend of mine had to do this a couple of years ago........he got the bank to agree to sell the house for about $50,000 less than the mortgage. By doing this, he was released from any debt connected to the house and his credit didn't take as hard a hit had he just let the house go to foreclosure. The only downside is the IRS, which can come after you for the "forgiven" debt as they treat it as income............but I do remember my friend bringing this up but at the time Congress did pass some sort of law where people could do short sales without tax consequences for a limited time which he was lucky to take advantage of. I wish you the best of luck
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaineLeedsbloke
First of all, after looking into this recently, I am pretty sure now that when you return to the UK, your US nightmare will not affect you because the British banks will not check foreign credit. However your UK credit history will be blank if it has been longer than 7 years since you had any UK credit activity, which will prevent you from buying a house for a few years as some lenders consider someone with no credit history worse than someone with bad credit history. As for your US house, I would go for broke and try and do a "Short Sale" where you get the bank to accept whatever you can sell it for. It is in their interest to do this as foreclosure tends to be more expensive for banks. A friend of mine had to do this a couple of years ago........he got the bank to agree to sell the house for about $50,000 less than the mortgage. By doing this, he was released from any debt connected to the house and his credit didn't take as hard a hit had he just let the house go to foreclosure. The only downside is the IRS, which can come after you for the "forgiven" debt as they treat it as income............but I do remember my friend bringing this up but at the time Congress did pass some sort of law where people could do short sales without tax consequences for a limited time which he was lucky to take advantage of. I wish you the best of luck
This is not entirely true - there have been lots of examples on this forum (including myself) who got mortgages despite having been out of the country (for 23 years in my case).