Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Banking - Paid in £ but living in US

Banking - Paid in £ but living in US

Old Jan 27th 2017, 8:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking - Paid in £ but living in US

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I checked the statement from that month - it was $35 and $16 in addition to .....
Sorry I was a dollar off in one of the fees.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 8:57 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sorry I was a dollar off in one of the fees.
This may come as a shock to you, but you don't have to be right all the time
Old Jan 27th 2017, 8:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

This may come as a shock to you, but you don't have to be right all the time
You sound like Mrs P. ......
Old Jan 27th 2017, 9:02 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like Mrs P. ......
She's clearly a smart kid

Edit: Or smart lady. For some reason, I read it as Little Miss P!
Old Jan 27th 2017, 9:10 pm

She's clearly a smart kid

Edit: Or smart lady. For some reason, I read it as Little Miss P!
These days I am getting pay-back from little Miss P - she thinks she's right even more often than I think I am!
Old Jan 27th 2017, 9:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps a stupid question but why doesn't your company pay you outright in US Dollars. They can wire transfer your salary into our US account can't they since you are not paying taxes in the UK but in the US and they are withholding US federal, state, local taxes, FICA, etc. from your paycheck.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 2:04 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Perhaps a stupid question but why doesn't your company pay you outright in US Dollars. They can wire transfer your salary into our US account can't they since you are not paying taxes in the UK but in the US and they are withholding US federal, state, local taxes, FICA, etc. from your paycheck.
That's what I suggested, but he indicated that he was sending the money to himself so it wasn't relevant.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

FYI - my Mum recently sent me around $1700. She paid a fairly small fee to the bank at her end and was assured there would be no other charges. What they meant was that there would be no other charges from them. My bank (Bank of America) charged fees twice on the transfer. Once as it arrived to BofA and then another time when it was deposited into my account. I don't remember precisely what the fees were, but I *think* it was around $30 each time.

Looks as though you've decided on Transferwise anyway (wise choice imo), but I figured I'd put the info there anyway, for others who might find it useful.
I was charged by both BOA and Chase similar amounts. It was difficult initially to find what the fees were for. The biggest problem was that the sending intermediary was unable to send using ACH and ended up using wire transfer after a week of messing around.

One or two percent isn't "slightly"!
Depends how much you are sending. On £500 , 1 or 2% isnt much.

Just looked up the rates to move £1000, transferwise is $1,249.25, citibank is $1,200.75 so you lose $50, but the transfer is immediate. on £10000, it's a more significant amount, $500. Useful if it's an emergency.

Last edited by mrken30; Jan 28th 2017 at 2:37 am.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the reverse to what is being discussed but is XE.com more expensive than Transferwise. I just sent $4000 to and got 3105.2($1.288) pounds when the actual rate shown was $1.259/pound. Allowing for the fact that there has to be profit made by someone is it still cheaper to stay with XE?
Old Jan 28th 2017, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JD1992
I tell you what, TransferWise looks very, very good, even if the fee is $30 it's alot better than having to carry cash ALL the time which i've been doing for the last 4 months (Transferring pounds to a friends UK Credit Card and taking out cash).

Thank you very much for your suggestion, exactly why I came here. You can google all you want sometimes, but occasionally it's better to come from the horses mouth.
Barclays do a UK $ foreign currency account which you can move £ to $ via Barclays accounts for free subject to bank fx rates.

Given that and a standard US account you can just do a bank transfer.

Also uk $ credit cards like clarity offer competitive spot rates for £ to $ so you could use one like a debit card, paying it regally using online banking.

That's a couple of ways I'll x-fer some uk £ to $ when I start in the US (although I'll be paid in $ so don't mind the falling exchange rate so much!)

Just a couple of further ideas in case it helps.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 5:56 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If you know you are going to be transferring a regular amount at regular times, most of the FX companies will allow you to lock in a rate for a specified amount of time. Might be worth thinking about?
Old Jan 30th 2017, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

What I did is opened a Post Office Platinum Credit Card which charges no foreign exchange transaction fees and gives (traditionally) a far better exchange rate than even TransferWise (who I do use to transfer £ to $ on occasion in my US account) and I have a direct debit setup to pay the card off in full each month. Suited me very well!
Old Jan 31st 2017, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
What I did is opened a Post Office Platinum Credit Card which charges no foreign exchange transaction fees and gives (traditionally) a far better exchange rate than even TransferWise (who I do use to transfer £ to $ on occasion in my US account) and I have a direct debit setup to pay the card off in full each month. Suited me very well!
Similar to the Halifax clarity credit card, no transaction fees, decent fx rates.

Also is not restricted to just dollars. I have one, plan to take advantage of it for these types of £ to $ transfers and particularly while waiting to get established with a bank and healthy $ balance from regular $ salary payments.

Hassle free sign up online too
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

aceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tony126
Maybe the reverse to what is being discussed but is XE.com more expensive than Transferwise. I just sent $4000 to and got 3105.2($1.288) pounds when the actual rate shown was $1.259/pound. Allowing for the fact that there has to be profit made by someone is it still cheaper to stay with XE?
I have used XE for years. I did a transfer a few days ago and noticed that their UK bank details had changed. When the money arrived in my US bank account, I was charged an incoming wire fee of $15. This has never happened before - they used ACH, for which there was no fee. I have emailed XE to see if wire transfer is now their normal method. Anyway, that is what prompted me to come to this forum and see if there is any new favourite transfer service.

I just compared transferring £1,000 via TransferWise and XE. TW sends $1,243.73, XE $1,228.05. I do not know if both will result in a $15 fee on receipt, but TW looks clearly to be better.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

I highly recommend Transferwise. I did a transfer to the US last week and they deposited the funds using ACH (as always) so no fee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.