Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Banking - Paid in £ but living in US

Banking - Paid in £ but living in US

Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

JD1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banking - Paid in £ but living in US

So i'm looking at opening a Bank account over here and am wondering if anybody else is in the same position as me.

I'm currently banking with Lloyds in the U.K and am paid in £ Sterling each month. However, as you can imagine, it is costing me a fortune in debit card charges using it overseas. The way I thought to resolve this was to open an account here and transfer my salary into that account each month, I am aware that lloyds charge £10 per international transaction, but I am unaware on what sort of exchange rates and charges the U.S banks add to these transactions.

I feel this may be a unique situation but if anybody else has advice then fire away

JD
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

nyclostin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Banking - Paid in £ but living in US

Not too unique actually - most of my business is in the UK, but I'm here in the US.
Whenever I need large amounts of US$ (to pay taxes etc) I use TransferWise (www.transferwise.com) - there are good savings vs doing it with your bank.

Also, join me in hoping the exchange rate keeps improving
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Websites such as TransferWise works well for moving money across from GBP to USD. It offers a good exchange rate with low fees. There will likely be no fees on the US receiving side, but that can be checked with your bank.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

How are you paying US taxes, Social Security contributions and other mandatory deductions for unemployment insurance and disability?
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nyclostin
Not too unique actually - most of my business is in the UK, but I'm here in the US.
Whenever I need large amounts of US$ (to pay taxes etc) I use TransferWise (www.transferwise.com) - there are good savings vs doing it with your bank.

Also, join me in hoping the exchange rate keeps improving
Haha, you know it. Not a bad day today.

Just had a look at transfer-wire and it looks okay, but from the looks of things, if Lloyds only charge £10 to transfer to a U.S account then surely that is the better option?
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:31 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JD1992
So i'm looking at opening a Bank account over here and am wondering if anybody else is in the same position as me.

I'm currently banking with Lloyds in the U.K and am paid in £ Sterling each month. However, as you can imagine, it is costing me a fortune in debit card charges using it overseas. The way I thought to resolve this was to open an account here and transfer my salary into that account each month, I am aware that lloyds charge £10 per international transaction, but I am unaware on what sort of exchange rates and charges the U.S banks add to these transactions.

I feel this may be a unique situation but if anybody else has advice then fire away

JD
When I bill clients around the world I request wire payment in dollars directly into my US account. My bank doesn't charge me a fee when they arrive.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How are you paying US taxes, Social Security contributions and other mandatory deductions for unemployment insurance and disability?
I now only pay National Insurance to the U.K, all other taxes are paid to the U.S, I couldn't say how, that's why we've got a finance and legal team.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, you know it. Not a bad day today.

Just had a look at transfer-wire and it looks okay, but from the looks of things, if Lloyds only charge £10 to transfer to a U.S account then surely that is the better option?
Why is a £10 Lloyds charge better than a £2 TransferWise charge?
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
When I bill clients around the world I request wire payment in dollars directly into my US account. My bank doesn't charge me a fee when they arrive.
Do you know what sort of exchange rate you tend to get?
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
Why is a £10 Lloyds charge better than a £2 TransferWise charge?
£6000 = $7540 on Transferwire
£6000 = $7578 (Depending on exchange rate, granted)

Think it ultimately comes down to what sort of exchange rate is applied when transferring between the accounts. Granted, it doesn't look too dis-similar either way at the moment.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:38 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know what sort of exchange rate you tend to get?

There is no exchange rate as I am billing them in dollars and requesting payment in dollars. That bypasses them doing a conversion that inevitably leaves me out of pocket.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
There is no exchange rate as I am billing them in dollars and requesting payment in dollars. That bypasses them doing a conversion that inevitably leaves me out of pocket.
I see, as i'm billing myself it won't really work like that
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

£6000 = $7578 (Depending on exchange rate, granted)
Is this what Lloyds is offering or just the exchange rate found on Google?

Generally the banks will keep some of this for profit.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Is this what Lloyds is offering ..... Generally the banks will keep some of this for profit.
There's no "generally" about it!
Old Jan 25th 2017, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Is this what Lloyds is offering or just the exchange rate found on Google?

Generally the banks will keep some of this for profit.
That is the current exchange rate, hence why i've said it depends on what exchange rate actually gets offered and why i'm asking the question. I guess googling how much the banks keep of the exchange rate is probably the best way forward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.