Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank of America

Bank of America

Old Oct 24th 2009, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default Bank of America

I know the question of US banks and ID needed etc is a common question here, so thought I would tell you about our experience
We had B o A recommended to us by friends here in San Francisco.
Walked into the branch yesterday asked to open an account, got taken into a room and asked for our passports and a current bank card. Within 20 mins the account was open, we had checks and a temp debit card.
We are going back to the UK on Thursday and returning to live on 16th November, so our actual debit cards are being mailed to our UK address, along with some more checks. We were asked to supply a US address, and they were happy to accept my husbands work address, we are signing a leases on a rental property today, so having the checks and account open is handy for arranging the lease and deposits etc.
Once we move we just go in and change our US address with them, we even got introduced to the manager of the lady who helped us so if we have any problems we have someone to talk to.
We mentioned building up credit history, and I have an AMEX card so she said the best option there is to transfer it once we move and then that will help with the credit, also in six months they are likely to give us a credit card, but it would have a low limit (approx $500) on it.
An extra plus side from a girlie point of view, is you get to choose from a huge magazine of card designs, took me about 10 mins to choose, we went with WWF and our new cards will have pandas and polar bears on, much to my husbands disgust!! as you have to have the same design (well we opened a joint account so i guess thats why) and he did let me pick. I did want the Ann Geddes baby design but that was definitly a no no for him!!

So basically to recap, we just needed our passports, a UK bank card and a US address, didnt get asked for a SSN or an other documentation

Hope this is of help to someone

Last edited by sarahlou145; Oct 24th 2009 at 12:02 pm. Reason: added additional info
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank of America

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
... we went with WWF...
World Wrestling Federation? Super duper!

... our new cards will have pandas and polar bears...
Oh... you mean the "other" WWF. Damn!

Ian
Old Oct 24th 2009, 4:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
World Wrestling Federation? Super duper!

Oh... you mean the "other" WWF. Damn!

Ian

They could have boxing and wrestling Kangroos on their cards
Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:11 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

where did you decide to live?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
where did you decide to live?
we are just waiting on a call from our realtor, and all being well we are about to sign a lease on a property in Burlingame
Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:35 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

we are just waiting on a call from our realtor, and all being well we are about to sign a lease on a property in Burlingame
nice place, attractive town center, you'll enjoy it there
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

I know the question of US banks and ID needed etc is a common question here, so thought I would tell you about our experience
Walked into the branch yesterday asked to open an account, got taken into a room and asked for our passports and a current bank card. Within 20 mins the account was open, we had checks and a temp debit card.
We are going back to the UK on Thursday and returning to live on 16th November, so our actual debit cards are being mailed to our UK address, along with some more checks. We were asked to supply a US address, and they were happy to accept my husbands work address, we are signing a leases on a rental property today, so having the checks and account open is handy for arranging the lease and deposits etc.
Once we move we just go in and change our US address with them, we even got introduced to the manager of the lady who helped us so if we have any problems we have someone to talk to.
We mentioned building up credit history, and I have an AMEX card so she said the best option there is to transfer it once we move and then that will help with the credit, also in six months they are likely to give us a credit card, but it would have a low limit (approx $500) on it.
An extra plus side from a girlie point of view, is you get to choose from a huge magazine of card designs, took me about 10 mins to choose, we went with WWF and our new cards will have pandas and polar bears on, much to my husbands disgust!! as you have to have the same design (well we opened a joint account so i guess thats why) and he did let me pick. I did want the Ann Geddes baby design but that was definitly a no no for him!!

So basically to recap, we just needed our passports, a UK bank card and a US address, didnt get asked for a SSN or an other documentation

Hi, we went with Bo A and it was a very similar process. However for all the ease to open a bank account it has been incredibly difficult to get an actual bank card from them. We opened the account at end of Aug, and despite several attempts have still not received a card from them. We initially asked for the first card to be sent to the UK (as we opened it whilst we were on aour recce trip), was told this wasnt a problem and the card would be with us in 2 weeks. Didnt receive the first one, so ordered a second one (an ordeal in itself phoning frm the UK), promised that it would be with us in 2 weeks, and still didnt receive it. So asked for it to be sent to hubbies work address in US, still have not received it. So have been unable to set up any online banking or anything ........so, so far not really that impressed with B o A. Thankfully we will be over the next weekend permanently so will be able to sort it out.....but i think they need to work abit harder than they have so far to impress.
Hope you dont encounter the same issues, and i am sure once we get over this hiccup it will be fine...........but just keep on top of them for the bank card is all i would say.

Best regards
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by buckers
Hi, we went with Bo A and it was a very similar process. However for all the ease to open a bank account it has been incredibly difficult to get an actual bank card from them. We opened the account at end of Aug, and despite several attempts have still not received a card from them. We initially asked for the first card to be sent to the UK (as we opened it whilst we were on aour recce trip), was told this wasnt a problem and the card would be with us in 2 weeks. Didnt receive the first one, so ordered a second one (an ordeal in itself phoning frm the UK), promised that it would be with us in 2 weeks, and still didnt receive it. So asked for it to be sent to hubbies work address in US, still have not received it. So have been unable to set up any online banking or anything ........so, so far not really that impressed with B o A. Thankfully we will be over the next weekend permanently so will be able to sort it out.....but i think they need to work abit harder than they have so far to impress.
Hope you dont encounter the same issues, and i am sure once we get over this hiccup it will be fine...........but just keep on top of them for the bank card is all i would say.

Best regards
We got given temporary cards to use straight away, which we have both managed to complete transactions on in shops and at ATM's, also we have online banking set up, and have already set up our rent to come out of the account and my hubbies salary to go in. Sounds like we have had different experiences on that front, Ill keep you posted on the cards, we go home on Thursday and leave the UK on 16th, she said the cards should be there in two weeks, so hope we get them before we leave to come back here, if not it is fine using our temporary cards Sounds like you need to go in there and have some strong words - good luck
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Nice. I live right over the hill from your new pad and go to Burlingame fairly regularly.

If you like sushi, make sure you go to Sushi Sam's in San Mateo. Ambiance isn't very swanky but fish is fabulous, especially if you choose off the specials on the board.

I think that you have mutts, Half Moon Bay has some great beaches where they can romp off leash.

Welcome
Old Oct 25th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

I was in a similar situation about 7 years ago and opened my first account using B of A. I had no problems setting things up but they wouldn't give me a traditional credit card but offered a secured credit card (at least I think that it what it was called).

It worked like something like this, I had to put $300 into a secured account, BofA then gave me my 'credit' card and my limit was $300 (that was the most they would give me even though I'd had credit cards for years in the UK). Every month I paid it off using my regular account and after 6 months they gave me my $300 back and changed the card to a traditional credit card with a limit of $12000! At least it started my credit history.

Things may have changed in how these things work now since this was quite a few years ago but it may be worth asking since you can start building your credit rating immediately.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived four years ago and had the same experience as you, opening a B of A account, no problem with UK passport and US address.

Credit cards another story. We had MBNA, Capital One and Amex UK cards. MBNA and Cap One were not allowed to get any information about our UK credit history from their UK sites due to EU privacy laws (so they said). I called Amex and right away they had my UK details on their screen and gave me a new US Amex card with a $10,000 limit. I don't know how they bypassed the bureaucracy and the others couldn't.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Easier to sort out the AmEx transfer before you move.

Getting a secured credit card, especially if you have a deposit isn't a problem though, especially with BoA.

Zonie- Data protection, those institutions were right, because the US arm of the company is a completely separate operation to the UK operation, only thing the same was the name, done that way for tax reasons. AmEx isn't a separate subsidiary.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

We got given temporary cards to use straight away, which we have both managed to complete transactions on in shops and at ATM's, also we have online banking set up, and have already set up our rent to come out of the account and my hubbies salary to go in. Sounds like we have had different experiences on that front, Ill keep you posted on the cards, we go home on Thursday and leave the UK on 16th, she said the cards should be there in two weeks, so hope we get them before we leave to come back here, if not it is fine using our temporary cards Sounds like you need to go in there and have some strong words - good luck
Excellent news ... I thought Brits only ever had negative experiences with banks here !. You didn't put down a massive deposit to smooth the way, did you?

I love Burlingame - perfect sized place with two active but small 'downtowns', a train station, close to BART (Millbrae) and close proximity to great food in Burlingame itself, and down in San Mateo (super-hopping downtown restaurant scene) and Millbrae - some of the very best Chinese food around. My personal favorite - Classic Sichuan on El Camino, close to the Millbrae Ave intersection (just north of it). Oh yeah, and San Francisco is but a few miles away
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:23 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
I was in a similar situation about 7 years ago and opened my first account using B of A. I had no problems setting things up but they wouldn't give me a traditional credit card but offered a secured credit card (at least I think that it what it was called).

It worked like something like this, I had to put $300 into a secured account, BofA then gave me my 'credit' card and my limit was $300 (that was the most they would give me even though I'd had credit cards for years in the UK). Every month I paid it off using my regular account and after 6 months they gave me my $300 back and changed the card to a traditional credit card with a limit of $12000! At least it started my credit history.

Things may have changed in how these things work now since this was quite a few years ago but it may be worth asking since you can start building your credit rating immediately.
i have the secure card now - just waiting for them to hurry up and give me the real thing, and for my credit score to magically grow!!!!!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant future

I have never had a problem with BoA and their online banking is great. One of the reasons I originally went with BoA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.