Reload this Page >

Bad times in Texas

Bad times in Texas

Old May 26th 2009, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

garrettciaran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bad times in Texas

Originally Posted by SarahG1976
How did you get to US in first place? What visa did you have?
Sorry it didn't work out. Did you not consider maybe moving to another part of Texas or another State?
Sarah, queueing up for a Church Soup Kitchen was the last straw. Wal-Mart downsized 150 of us in a week, its a ghost town for jobs.

Crime is going through the roof because people are hungry.

Even the Mexicans are going home.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:27 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garrettciaran
Yeah, queuing up for a Church Soup Kitchen for food and bread because we were not entitled to welfare isn't exactly the American Dream.
As a US taxpayer, even though I don't reside in the US, I'm glad they don't allow people to move over to the US to collect welfare as a matter of policy.

Hey, but that's just me.

I'm planning to move back to the US in a few years, and Texas is on my short list of possibilities.

Also, if food is so expensive, why can't your girlfriend squeeze herself into a seat belt? Something doesn't make sense here...

Last edited by crg; May 26th 2009 at 3:31 pm.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Did you not consider maybe moving to another part of Texas or another State?

Because all he has mentioned is pretty much exactly the same as would happen in 49 other states.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Have you seen the bread in USA? its inedible, the size of my fist and it tastes like papier mache.
No, I've never in my almost ten years here seen bread. At all.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't forget generally you drive many more miles here to get around than you do in the UK...so cost per week/month for petrol is usually around the same.
Don't forget that we're paying A LOT less in vehicle taxes and insurance, too.

You also seem to have forgotten about the NHS and SS benefits the UK provide.
Which isn't free. I know how much I paid for the equivalent in Germany. And I also know that you're urged to purchase additional, and/or private health insurance to cover more than just the basics.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Wal-Mart downsized 150 of us in a week, its a ghost town for jobs.

Crime is going through the roof because people are hungry.

Even the Mexicans are going home.
Famed Italian coachbuilder and design house Pininfarina is most widely recognized for designing stunning cars like the Ferrari 599 but the company also dabbles every now and then in the area of coachbuilding special one-off creations for wealthy clients. Back in 2006 we saw the personalized Ferrari 612 P4/5 based on the Enzo supercar and today we have details about the new ‘Golden Ferrari’ based on the 599 GTB.

While the mechanicals may be borrowed from the modern 599, the styling is a not-too-subtle throwback to the lines seen on the Ferrari 330 LMB model that first appeared in the early 1960s.The front of the car also shares some similarities with the 612 Scaglietti, which in itself was a throwback to the front-end designs seen in classic ‘60s Ferrari models.

Perhaps most astonishing, however, is the open-topped design and the classically styled roll-bar, and while Pininfarina has not released much information about the car we expect a large number of resources went into this aspect of the vehicle.

So just where can people see this one-off, 620hp (462kW) throwback to the famous Ferrari 330 LMB? Perhaps next time they pull into a Wal-Mart parking lot, in light of the fact that Wal-Mart's CEO Rob Walton is allegedly the lucky owner of the car.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98

Don't forget that we're paying A LOT less in vehicle taxes and insurance, too.

No we do not pay A LOT less in vehicle taxes...it is less but not A LOT. I presume you are joking about insurance...when we came here we paid per month what we paid in the UK for a year. I got a quote in the UK a few months ago...it was A LOT less than we pay in the US.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:33 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

So the moral of the story is don't come to the US if you're only qualified to stack shelves and have a fat girlfriend fiancee as fatties have more health problems?

Personally I've found food to be cheaper and bought a house when I'd have been lucky to buy a 1 bedroom flat in the UK.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:35 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

No we do not pay A LOT less in vehicle taxes...it is less but not A LOT. I presume you are joking about insurance...when we came here we paid per month what we paid in the UK for a year. I got a quote in the UK a few months ago...it was A LOT less than we pay in the US.
The US needs that loser-pays law suit system. That's why car insurance is so expensive in the US. The US has a perfect storm of expensive medical care and a sue-everyone mentality.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I am still interested to know what visa you had to go to the US and get a GC.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:37 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on where you live I guess. My car tags only cost $25 a year where as I'd be looking at around 200 quid in the UK. Not to mention the cost of MOTs and the work you may need doing to your car to get it to pass. If your car fails an MOT in the UK and you don't have the money to get it fixed you're buggered.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:39 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Just askin'...
Houston is not shit. My poll said so.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am still interested to know what visa you had to go to the US and get a GC.
Who are you referring to? Using the quote tab located at the bottom of the post is helpful.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

No we do not pay A LOT less in vehicle taxes...it is less but not A LOT.
$52 a year here for me, whereas I would pay 465 euros for the same car in Germany. That's a LOT less.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:43 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

$52 a year here for me, whereas I paid 465 euros for the same car in Germany. That's a LOT less.
and the difference shows up in the state of the highway infrastructure
Old May 26th 2009, 3:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

$52 a year here for me, whereas I would pay 465 euros for the same car in Germany. That's a LOT less.
In Germany you have an option of a bus or train.

which is more the issue if you need to get to work on the cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.