Reload this Page >

Back to the start...

Back to the start...

Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Jack_PK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back to the start...

Morning all,

I have been reading threads and articles on the site for a couple of months now, so I thought it was time that I created my first post!

The other half (USC) and I (UK) are planning a move to the States in the next 12-18 months, probably moving to the New England (Boston) area. This is something that we have been thinking about for a few years, but never felt it was the right time. We were both finishing with college and post-graduate qualifications, and we had some financial ties to the UK.

However we’re in a position in our lives where we don’t have our own family yet, and we have no prospect of buying a house in the near future (thanks Oxford) – so moving to the US wouldn’t be the biggest upheaval in comparison to some. We also have his family that have said that we can stay with them for a while until we find out feet - which is great help!

We do have some concerns about easy it will be to find work (much easier for my partner due to his field and experience). But largely we’re hopeful that the move will work out, although we’re both aware of how significant a process it will be.

We’re right at the start of the process, currently working out costs and time scales, but I’m interested in knowing: If you were doing this process again from the start, what would you have wanted to have know that you didn’t?

Cheers

Jack.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to the start...

Welcome to BE. Just to clarify, when you say "the process", are you referring to the marriage- based immigrant visa? Is that the path by which you'll be immigrating to the USA?

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Jack_PK is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies, I was wondering whether my post was clear or not!

Yes we will be applying in the future for a marriage based visa, but I think I meant 'process' in broader terms - the visa, preparing to move, what initially life was like when you moved.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

I moved on an employment-based visa and had an army of lawyers behind me, so my process was pretty straight-forward and different from what you will embark upon (I had my visa in about two weeks from filing to successful interview at the London embassy). Also, I moved over as a single guy with not much in terms of belongings, and a very generous relocation scheme from my employer, so it was just one big adventure for me. I have wanted to live in the USA for a large portion of my life, and found it pretty easy to get settled here. I joined a church, found a house-share to live in, bought a car, etc. I cannot imagine moving back to the UK now, and am taking steps via my employer to make that a confirmed reality.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 2:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If we had known how expensive the cost of living really is we would have planned a different move from the one we initially made. The cost of living anywhere between greater DC and southern Maine is nuts! .... As bad as London, or worse.

We left the greater NYC area eight months after we arrived, I took a small paycut, but we went from barely being able to afford any house to easily affording a four bed house on an acre and a half lot.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 22nd 2016 at 3:07 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Using this site ( and others ) I think I was pretty well prepared for my move over and it all went smoothly.

Just wish I'd done it sooner - been here 4 years now and life is good

( good luck with the Boston area - my wife is from there and we visit often and love it but it's expensive! )
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've always loved Boston and its surrounding communities and often thought of moving there but one thing or another came up and never went. I do regret it. BTW I am not an expat but a USC married to an expat of Canada.

Unfortunately, it is all to true that Boston is an expensive city. But then again, any large metropolitan city will be. Lots depends on what you do for a living and having employment that pays enough to allow you to live comfortably and still be able to travel and save. Not having children right now is a big plus for you.

You two are unencumbered and should be able to enjoy the adventure of living in the home country of your spouse. There are always ins and outs regardless of whether you are moving one country to another or one city to another in the same country. With the right frame of mind, you should do well.