Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Automated Kiosks at US Airports

Automated Kiosks at US Airports

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:53 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Automated Kiosks at US Airports

Just reading this article: Massport installs kiosks to speed re-entry through customs - Business - The Boston Globe

"American and Canadian travelers can now jump the long lines that snake around the US Customs inspection area during peak hours at Logan International Airport, according to the Massachusetts Port Authority.

Massport on Tuesday unveiled a $2.1 million investment in 30 self-service kiosks to reduce US Customs and Border Protection processing times for travelers arriving in Boston from foreign destinations."

Are these simply more Global Entry kiosks or are they something entirely different that can be used by ANY US / Canadian resident? And by 'resident', does the article mean citizen, or Permanent Resident?

Anyone have any insight?

UPDATE: http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-me...ssport-control - it's for US & Canadian citizens only. It's not even comparable to the automated gates at LHR, given you still need to see an be inspected by a CBP officer.

Trust the Globe to get the basics wrong.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jul 23rd 2014 at 3:05 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Automated Kiosks at US Airports

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Are these simply more Global Entry kiosks or are they something entirely different that can be used by ANY US / Canadian resident? And by 'resident', does the article mean citizen, or Permanent Resident?
I used one in Chicago a few months ago. They can be used by anyone, provided this is not your first entry on the visa you have. The personel will tell you they're ok for ESTA (which is correct). When you get to them, you'll see they also allow other visas. I can't recall the exact set, only that L1 was in it (which is the one of concern to me).

They take your picture, scan your passport and then print a reciept. You take the receipt to a guy who chats with you. He's rather like the guy who takes your customs form.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:23 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ubernathan
I used one in Chicago a few months ago. They can be used by anyone, provided this is not your first entry on the visa you have. The personel will tell you they're ok for ESTA (which is correct). When you get to them, you'll see they also allow other visas. I can't recall the exact set, only that L1 was in it (which is the one of concern to me).

They take your picture, scan your passport and then print a reciept. You take the receipt to a guy who chats with you. He's rather like the guy who takes your customs form.
LPR's can't use them yet outside of specific ones being tested for this purpose according to the CBP's FAQ. Though, the Residents/Citizens line is always small anyway so doesn't make too much difference I guess.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We used one last month. It promptly spat out a ticket with a diagonal black line across it for each of us, and we were directed to join a painfully slow line, while others getting tickets without the black line were quickly stamped in at the "express" desks. .... Waiting is damned irritating, more so when others are been given express treatment, and worse when we don't even know why about 10%-20% of passengers were getting tickets with a black line through it.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We used one last month. It promptly spat out a ticket with a diagonal black line across it for each of us, and we were directed to join a painfully slow line, while others getting tickets without the black line were quickly stamped in at the "express" desks. .... Waiting is damned irritating, more so when others are been given express treatment, and worse when we don't even know why about 10%-20% of passengers were getting tickets with a black line through it.
Why haven't you joined Global Entry out of interest?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Why haven't you joined Global Entry out of interest?
That was the first time I've been out of the US in seven years, so there hasn't been much point. If we start to go to the UK regularly we probably will.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

The secondary benefit of Global Entry is getting TSA Pre for domestic flights. No more getting your baggie and laptop out. It's $100 for 5 years (and you get the fee back if you pay with an Amex Platinum).
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 5:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That was the first time I've been out of the US in seven years, so there hasn't been much point. If we start to go to the UK regularly we probably will.
Fair point. That's my reasoning as well, though I am tempted to under go the TSA Pre programme. That doesn't seem as invasive as Global Entry and domestic flights are the ones I do the most and cause the most delay.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 5:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jaffy23
The secondary benefit of Global Entry is getting TSA Pre for domestic flights. No more getting your baggie and laptop out. It's $100 for 5 years (and you get the fee back if you pay with an Amex Platinum).
Yeah, very good benefit that. I note they're now paying for TSA Pre also, though hardly makes up for all the excellent benefits we've just lost across this card recently.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:14 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I arrive into Logan 5 or 6 times a year, on variously timed flights and it's only once in a blue moon that I queue for more that 5 minutes for the regular immigration 'service'. It's possible that I'm just lucky. Even then I end up waiting around 15 minutes for my suitcase, so I don't see how any speeded-up immigration would benefit me. I know others have had much worse experiences.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 2:31 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We used the auto booths at IAH for the first time last month....not sure how long they've been there as we only fly internationally every 6-12 months (damn those school term dates!). We rarely have to wait long anyway, and I'm not sure it made that much difference to our departure from the airport as we had to wait for the bags, but the kids enjoyed it, esp youngest who started drawing a smiley face on her receipt because for some reason all the kids' faces were blanked out...

There were sales folk out in force trying to sell global entry, but as there are 5 of us, and we fly so infrequently, 100 each didn't seem worth it (I assume there is no family membership?). Although given my wife's insistence that if they haven't threatened to unload her bags at least twice, she's too early, it may be worth it for her
Old Jul 24th 2014, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

LPR's can't use them yet outside of specific ones being tested for this purpose according to the CBP's FAQ. Though, the Residents/Citizens line is always small anyway so doesn't make too much difference I guess.
LPR?

Good to know that not all machines are equal.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 1:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ubernathan
LPR?

Good to know that not all machines are equal.
Lawful Permanent Residents.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm considering it...$100 for 5 years.

On another note I went through Edinburgh security the other week...put the stuff in the tray, collected it at the other end, was walking away when the lady shouted at me..

"Sir! Sir!"

"Yup?"

"Put your tray back where it belongs sir!" (Moving storage slot.)

It was new to me, I thought that was their job....
Old Jul 24th 2014, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

I used the system for the first time, coming back from London, to Atlanta a few days ago.
I don't see where the time-saving comes in....
1st.....Go to the machines, put in your passport, get a picture taken, and it spits out s piece of paper,
2nd....Take your piece of paper, and LINE UP to get it checked by a human....
3rd.... go off to the usual Customs desk.

I'm not sure where the time-saving element comes in. There were only 3 men checking the bits of paper....long lines.
I can see they might be thinking they can employ less staff, but....

At least, at LHR, if you use the automated system, you don't have to line up again after.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.