Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Auto insurance without US drivers license

Auto insurance without US drivers license

Old Apr 18th 2006, 12:05 am
Just Joined

HilaryAC is a jewel in the roughHilaryAC is a jewel in the roughHilaryAC is a jewel in the roughHilaryAC is a jewel in the rough
Default Auto insurance without US drivers license

We are looking to buy a car in Maine, we need it before we have time to take the drivers test and obtain a license as we are in the process of relocating.
We have SS numbers and citizenship, but have not been insured here (all our insurance history is in the UK). Is it possible to obtain insurance for a car without a US drivers license? We will obtain one eventually, just that in the interim we will need insurance to drive. It seems that a few places we have tried for insurance quotes so far have refused us because we have UK licenses. Bit of a predicament. Useful advice appreciated, thanks!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 12:08 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auto insurance without US drivers license

Yes, but don't know who. It'll likely be very expensive.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 1:47 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HilaryAC
We are looking to buy a car in Maine, we need it before we have time to take the drivers test and obtain a license as we are in the process of relocating.
We have SS numbers and citizenship, but have not been insured here (all our insurance history is in the UK). Is it possible to obtain insurance for a car without a US drivers license? We will obtain one eventually, just that in the interim we will need insurance to drive. It seems that a few places we have tried for insurance quotes so far have refused us because we have UK licenses. Bit of a predicament. Useful advice appreciated, thanks!
We insured two cars through Progressive when we were still driving on our UK licenses.

Horribly expensive - I seem to remember it was $3000 for 6 months for two cars - but at least they agreed to insure us!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

We had no problems obtaining insurance without a US drivers license through State Farm.

We did not get any credit for UK no claims, but his was not an issue as Mrs Romper's awful driving meant we didn't have much of a no claims record to bring over.

edited to add it was nowhere near as expensive as $3000.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 1:48 am
Just Joined

rubixtious will become famous soon enoughrubixtious will become famous soon enough

https://www.aig-is.com/html/inbound_main.html

They charge a one year membership fee of $400 but you will EASILY recover that with what you will save with their insurance quote. My personal example....

$1400 6 months from progressive ( i shopped around and they were the cheapest)

$793 6 months from AIG

they can provide you with car insurance quotes prior to joining.

Apart from car insurance they provide a bunch of other services including getting you a high limit credit card to help you along the credit road. You also do not need to maintain the yearly membership fee to continue with insurance/credit card. They are great and wish someone told me about them when i got here first.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:41 am
Tim

magilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to behold

i keep looking but not having any joy either! quotes are mental:

geico - $2600 for 6 mths
progressive - $2200 for 6 mths

they are the best ones so far, and i am only trying to insure a little saturn!

what makes it worse in NC is that i cant get the licence without insurance but cant get reasonable insurance without the licence! :scared:

any ideas?
Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:52 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magilla442
i keep looking but not having any joy either! quotes are mental:

geico - $2600 for 6 mths
progressive - $2200 for 6 mths

they are the best ones so far, and i am only trying to insure a little saturn!

what makes it worse in NC is that i cant get the licence without insurance but cant get reasonable insurance without the licence! :scared:

any ideas?

You could always take the insurance, get the license, then change insurance company. They will refund any overpay.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:58 am
Going home at last

dragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to all

We used progressive when we first arrived here they were expensive around $2000 for 6 months then once we obtained our us licenses we insured both our lease cars with travelers insurance we now pay $145 per month around $1700 per year
Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can use your UK license for 12 months in Maine, so showing that shouldn't be a problem for getting insurance, but if you don't have any US drivers history, ditch all the major players because they'll give you a shite rate in this state, and insurance is high due to the huge amount of money paid out in moose/deer crashes which usually end up in right-offs.

Check out Concord Group Insurance- http://www.concordgroupinsurance.com/me.htm
Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubixtious
$1400 6 months from progressive ( i shopped around and they were the cheapest)

$793 6 months from AIG
What you pay for AIG, Concord were able to cover us for a year, whilst all the major players were quoting $700-900 for 6 months because of a new US license and also sod all credit history.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:42 am
Just Joined

rubixtious will become famous soon enoughrubixtious will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
What you pay for AIG, Concord were able to cover us for a year, whilst all the major players were quoting $700-900 for 6 months because of a new US license and also sod all credit history.

Do concord insure you on a UK drivers license? I always found that if a company did insure on a foreign license, they charged a premium. Also the actual vehicle insured is a factor, in my case a hyundai santa fe 3.5l v6.

Anyway, i will shop around again when i have 700+ FICO, US license and about a years driving record
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:52 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

One of my Brit customers, who has a temporary FL driving permit, just bought an F-150 and got it insured through GEICO online. They have a local address, and an SSN but not citizenship and have a business here.

Try GEICO.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:03 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
$900 per year for 2 cars with AIG. We don't have US drivers licences and we didn't have ss numbers when we bought the insurance.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rubixtious
Do concord insure you on a UK drivers license? I always found that if a company did insure on a foreign license, they charged a premium. Also the actual vehicle insured is a factor, in my case a hyundai santa fe 3.5l v6.

Anyway, i will shop around again when i have 700+ FICO, US license and about a years driving record
Concord do, they insured me before I got a license, but it was a bit of an effort...and they only deal in the NE area....as for driving experience, it'll go down once you have 3 years US history...but this place took having no history to being a clean history based on UK license, well it's still a bit high, but it's in the middle price band and will go down after a few years clean driving over here.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:32 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

When Mrs.R added me to her policy after i got my NY state licence our premium went down by $1.

Lovely jubbly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.