Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Auto insurance and proof of UK driving history

Auto insurance and proof of UK driving history

Old Sep 12th 2017, 12:49 am
Just Joined

pauldunlop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auto insurance and proof of UK driving history

Wanted to get the groups opinion on this situation, and whether anyone has any suggestions:

I took out auto insurance with State Farm last month - at the time I wasn't able to get onto the DVLA website and download my license history, so the premium is really high. We agreed that, once I could provide proof of my UK history, the price would drop.

Now I've gotten onto the DVLA and downloaded their new PDF history document, I've sent it through and the underwriters for State Farm have said the document is not sufficient because it doesn't explicitly state I have no convictions or tickets in a 10 year period. As it happens, I have nothing on my license, never have. But I have no idea how to prove this......

I've given them what the DVLA considered proof of my driving history - what else can I do? Help!
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:00 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auto insurance and proof of UK driving history

Isnt it about no claims? Dont they want proof from your previous insurer?
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Nope - they want proof of how long I've been driving in the UK (which the DVLA doc provides), and any driving convictions in the last 10 years.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:03 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

They might be happy with the uk proof of criminal record? Thats an ACRO document, but i wouldnt have thought thats normal?
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:03 am
Just Joined

This is the specific advice I've been given:

"I spoke with out underwriters today and they advised that the motor vehicle report that we submitted from you is not being accepted because if does not clearly list that there have been no tickets or accidents. On the document you submitted it states “endorsements” and “offences”. Underwriters did confirm that the document would have to specifically list no tickets or accidents. I am so sorry for the inconvenience. If this is something you can obtain please provide it to us so that we can update your policy."
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:43 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Ask your UK insurers to provide proof of no claims discount. If you still have it, it may have been on your last renewal letter.

If state farm are being a real pain, there is nothing stopping you going to another company and simply stopping the state farm policy at the end of the month. We used Liberty Mutuel who accepted our no claims from France (in French). Others on BE have recommended Geico.

FWIW - we signed up for AIG Inbound USA service. They found all our insurances (the liberty mutuel one) and we saved the ?$450 that AIG cost us on the first 6 month's insurance policy based on what I could find on my own. I highly recommend this service, they will do all kinds of services for you . They found a company that would give us a non-secured credit card amongst other things.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:47 am
Just Joined

Good tips petitefrancaise - issue is my no-claims is only a few years - as someone wrote my car off in 2013 and drove off. I suspect I'm not gonna get very far with them, and yeah, will have to just shop around now I have the docs. I'm pay nearly $230 a month for one car, which is insane - so definitely need to sort something out soon.

The inbound service is an interesting idea as well - a colleague of mine has that now, I should find out what he's doing re: insurance, etc.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Liberty mutual no problems accepting my UK record. Didn't even ask for proof.

As soon as I had my us licence I phoned them up to change it with no fees.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Soko is an unknown quantity at this point

Try independent insurance brokers. They will get you something for sure and as petitefrancaise stated just stop that policy and start a new one
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pauldunlop
Good tips petitefrancaise - issue is my no-claims is only a few years - as someone wrote my car off in 2013 and drove off. I suspect I'm not gonna get very far with them, and yeah, will have to just shop around now I have the docs. I'm pay nearly $230 a month for one car, which is insane .....
Not really. People commonly report paying $1,000/6 months when they first arrive in the US, and even more in some states, so even if you get the documents the insurer is looking for, I wouldn't expect a huge drop in premiums.

And if you had a large claim in 2013, even if it wasn't your fault, that is exactly the sort of thing that will jack up your premiums. .... You did disclose that, didn't you?
Old Sep 19th 2017, 2:05 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pauldunlop
Good tips petitefrancaise - issue is my no-claims is only a few years - as someone wrote my car off in 2013 and drove off. I suspect I'm not gonna get very far with them, and yeah, will have to just shop around now I have the docs. I'm pay nearly $230 a month for one car, which is insane - so definitely need to sort something out soon.

The inbound service is an interesting idea as well - a colleague of mine has that now, I should find out what he's doing re: insurance, etc.
Is it insane? The insurers don't know you or your driving record. In a country where you will be sued for huge sums if you hurt someone or something. The premiums will go down once you start proving to them what a sensible driver you are. Just out of interest, what car are you driving?

Nationwide Insurance can stick a gadget in your car that reports to them how you are driving and gives you a discount of up to 20% if you show that you are a careful driver. You keep it for 6 months.

In the meantime, just remember how much money you are saving on petrol compared to the UK. Swings and roundabouts....
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:33 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me someone from State Farm is pulling your plonker. They just don't want to honor the promise they made. Run (don't walk) to another insurance company/agent.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by malch
Seems to me someone from State Farm is pulling your plonker. They just don't want to honor the promise they made. Run (don't walk) to another insurance company/agent.
This, an Agent who did not really know what they were doing and is now trying to get out.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 5:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Originally Posted by Boiler
This, an Agent who did not really know what they were doing and is now trying to get out.
I agree, the agent likely thought that moving from another country was like moving from another state of the US. It isn't!
Old Sep 19th 2017, 5:25 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Call around. It's a bit hit and miss but you will find someone that's willing to discount based on your UK driving record if you have at least some reasonable supporting documentation.

In a year or two you will have established a US driving record (hopefully a good one!) and you'll be able to get more reasonable quotes from all of the major companies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.