Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Areas to rent in Manhattan or Brooklyn

Areas to rent in Manhattan or Brooklyn

Old Jan 23rd 2018, 5:04 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to rent in Manhattan or Brooklyn

Originally Posted by pejp
One more point....you'll get a lot of people saying that you don't need a broker and you can just rely on Craigslist. You *might* get lucky and find something on craigslist that isn't a scam, and yes, most brokers are extremely expensive, but if you want to greatly expedite the process and get access to the best inventory, I'd use a broker. The other option is to go direct to the newer build buildings and search for 'no fee' on streeteasy.com, but even they sometimes will have a partnership with a broker and you'll pay the fee anyway.

Unfortunately a broker's fee is in most cases a necessary evil, especially if you're in a time crunch.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

LonSea is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pejp
I know a few people who have done that. When I moved over in 2007, I'd been to NYC quite a few times, but I just got my company to pay for a hotel for a few weeks, and then we just arranged appointments with brokers and hit as many areas and apartments as possible. Granted, our scope was Manhattan below 23rd st, but it was doable. One of my friends has been in NYC for 12 years now, and the first time he ever set eyes on the place was when his company moved him over! I wouldn't recommend securing a place remotely, but there is no reason they can't find something within a couple of weeks of arriving. The market moves so quickly.
I’m not going to try and secure somewhere remotely even I can see that’s not smart but I need to be prepared to hit ground running when we do arrive as we’ll have some weeks in a hotel paid for then either we have to pay for an airb&b or be close to move in somewhere.

I know that budget means everything but the area suggestions have been very helpful.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute

You still haven't said what your budget is...
Old Jan 26th 2018, 5:17 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LonSea
In the next few months we are moving for my husband's job to NYC. Unfortunately due to timings we don't have time for a scoping trip and I've never been to NYC. Friends have advised for us to avoid renting in Manhattan and many suggestions of Brooklyn, Williamsburg in particular.

I think the 'avoid Manhattan' advice has been because we live in a residentinal bit of london that's pretty calm and quiet but with good restaurants and bars. We are not 3am clubbing people, but we like good food and a nice bar.

The husband will need to commute to midtown/bryant park area, for the time being I won't work but want to live in an area with 'local' places to go during the day, coffee shops, neighbourhood cafes, local gyms etc. but also places near a supermarket. No children now, but there will be in the next 1-2 years. The pregancy thread from a few weeks ago freaked me out with no one recommending the Brooklyn hostpitals for childbirth or maternity care. I think in my head I want to live in the NYC version of Clapham/South London's nappy valley, green spaces and good community.

I've been looking at Park Slope, Williamsburg, etc, is there anywhere else we should look at? or should we look in Manhattan, or anywhere else? We don't want to live in NJ for now and want to 'experience' living in NYC.

All advice welcome! Including how to deal with realtors or how to find an apartment for rent, other than Zillow.

Have a look on Zillow.com and avoid Williamsburg. Park Slope is probably the closest to what you're looking for. But if your hubs is making less than $100k it might not be do-able, as it's very pricey indeed.