Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for esta for USA visit from uk, having lived in Spain for some years before

Applying for esta for USA visit from uk, having lived in Spain for some years before

Old Sep 25th 2016, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for esta for USA visit from uk, having lived in Spain for some years before

If you previously lived in Spain, and moved back to UK, how do you fill in the recent addition asking about citizenship in another country ie whether you are or have been a citizen in another country
I am assuming they are asking about dual citizenship / nationality, not about an expat who signed on the foreign citizens register as a resident
Old Sep 25th 2016, 10:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for esta for USA visit from uk, having lived in Spain for some years bef

Originally Posted by Neptuno
If you previously lived in Spain, and moved back to UK, how do you fill in the recent addition asking about citizenship in another country ie whether you are or have been a citizen in another country
I am assuming they are asking about dual citizenship / nationality, not about an expat who signed on the foreign citizens register as a resident
If it asks for citizenship, then thats just what they mean, nothing less, so just living there doesn't mean you became a citizen.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for esta for USA visit from uk, having lived in Spain for some years bef

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If it asks for citizenship, then thats just what they mean, nothing less, so just living there doesn't mean you became a citizen.
What it asks is:
Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travel by any any other country?
Of course I did have an ID card, but it wasn't valid for travel?
Have you ever been a citizen or national of any other country?
Old Sep 25th 2016, 10:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

What it asks is:
Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travel by any any other country?
You were never a Spanish citizen, so never had the ID card that allows for it to be a travel document, so your answer is NO.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You were never a Spanish citizen, so never had the ID card that allows for it to be a travel document, so your answer is NO.
I did put NO, but ever since wondered if that was right, and everyone I contacted seemed vague
Why dont they just put
Have you ever taken citizenship in
another country?
The way they word it is confusing in relationship to having an identity number , because of living in another country
Old Sep 25th 2016, 11:34 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I did put NO, but ever since wondered if that was right, and everyone I contacted seemed vague
Why dont they just put
Have you ever taken citizenship in
another country?
The way they word it is confusing in relationship to having an identity number , because of living in another country
Have you made the application for the ESTA with the "NO" answer to the question on the application form with respect to 'have you an ID card of another country for travel'?

If you BELIEVE or it is YOUR understanding that you have an ID card that allows you to travel (which you say it is not), then why are you concerning yourself after making the ESTA application?

If you have yet to to apply & see it necessary to put a YES to the 'ID card question' - then place a YES, send in the application, wait see what happens
Old Sep 25th 2016, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by not2old
Have you made the application for the ESTA with the "NO" answer to the question on the application form with respect to 'have you an ID card of another country for travel'?

If you BELIEVE or it is YOUR understanding that you have an ID card that allows you to travel (which you say it is not), then why are you concerning yourself after making the ESTA application?

If you have yet to to apply & see it necessary to put a YES to the 'ID card question' - then place a YES, send in the application, wait see what happens
I did put NO on the basis that I never had Spanish citizenship, even though I lived in Spain, and as Mike said, therefore could not have had a card allowing me to travel, but the way they word it is not that clear, in that they mention ID cards, which as residents ( but not citizens)we used to have
Do they equate citizenship with residency?
Don't know, but don't want to open a can of worms
There must be ONE person who reads these forums who has been/ is in my position!
Old Sep 25th 2016, 12:39 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

What it asks is:
There is your answer then? Its not exactly a hard question.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The people who draft these documents are only as smart as Joe Average. Sometimes the questions are badly-worded.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved you thread over to the US forum.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have moved you thread over to the US forum.
Why ?
Surely it is more applicable to Brits moving back to uk?
Old Sep 25th 2016, 2:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No, because the topic is regarding visiting the USA.

Rene
Old Sep 25th 2016, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why ?
Surely it is more applicable to Brits moving back to uk?
Because it's got nothing to do with UK immigration or visas...it is an US issue.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What it asks is:
Seems quite straightforward to me.

"Have you ever been issued a passport (NO) or national identity card for travel (NO) by any other country (NO)"

The question does not appear to be ambiguous.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

You're completely overthinking this....I lived in Spain for 10 years before moving to the US. Before starting the moving process I traveled back and forth to the US.

When asked about citizenship...I said Irish.
When asked about place of residence..I said Spain.

I was not a spanish citizen, i had the NIE card which was for ID purposes in Spain only, and could not be used for travel within the Schengen area. The NIE card WAS NOT the same as the DNI card issued to Spanish citizens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.