Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for a driving license?

Applying for a driving license?

Old Feb 11th 2016, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

simont122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for a driving license?

Went to apply for my Mississippi driving license today, but they wouldn't except my UK birth certificate? I have an original hand written one and they just looked at it funny, faxed it off somewhere and said we can't accept it. I tried to explain it was good enough to get me a green card, but not a driving license? But no luck, Has anyone ever had this problem/have a solution?

Last edited by simont122; Feb 11th 2016 at 11:36 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a driving license?

Your passport
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:56 am
Just Joined

simont122 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my passport, visa, and green card with me, but they wanted a 'valid' birth certificate.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

Non-U.S. Citizen Information | Mississippi Department of Public Safety
Old Feb 12th 2016, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simont122
I had my passport, visa, and green card with me, but they wanted a 'valid' birth certificate.
Its has to be a state long form type, you would have to get your UK one transcribed.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 7:14 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Was it your short or long birth certificate? I suspect they'll want your long birth certificate. If you don't have a long birth certificate and you were born in England or Wales then you can order one from the GRO for £9.25.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Mississippi is quite backwards in many ways. You're going to encounter problems with any government agency when dealing with them in Mississippi. Found this out the hard way. Did you go to the DMV in Hattiesburg? If you need it translated, call the University of Southern MS in Hattiesburg. They will probably have the facility to transcribe an English birth certificate.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Mississippi is quite backwards in many ways. You're going to encounter problems with any government agency when dealing with them in Mississippi. Found this out the hard way. Did you go to the DMV in Hattiesburg? If you need it translated, call the University of Southern MS in Hattiesburg. They will probably have the facility to transcribe an English birth certificate.
A UK birth certificate needs to be translated??
Old Feb 12th 2016, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Delete U's etc
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
A UK birth certificate needs to be translated??
Well, they use American English. And if you are in Mississippi, you REALLY are "in the South"!!

I've been in Georgia for two years in June. My own visits to the DDS (what they used to call the DMV officially) have never been traumatic, but I do have scars

Between my own visits and taking my other half, we have attended the lovely place 11 or maybe 12 times. They normally need to put us through the verification system because their computer does not have up to date information on our "Status". Then what they might do is forget to process it, or on one occasion the other half's paperwork was not all photocopied, so even though they started the process, it halted (and of course they did not call us to say they needed to start again, we had to enquire to find out)

Having said all the above, they are generally really nice people doing a thankless task, and we Brits are out of their day to day process for most people they handle. Once you get used to the way it works, you kinda know you gotta keep on your toes, fill out the forms in advance and then you can queue jump the line by waving that you know what to do and get straight to the QMatic ticket machine so you are waiting for your "Window". And depending on the day/time... Take a book!
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:40 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Mississippi is quite backwards in many ways.
I suspect that the true blame lies at the door of Real ID.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

My kid's birth certificate is not even signed , they use e-signatures in Oregon. The two "signatures" look identical