Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview Looming!!

AOS Interview Looming!!

Old Mar 17th 2001, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

andysmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, have been looking through these threads and can see a common theme on the interview, I am scared!! My interview is on April 4th, just got my letter today. I wonder if anyone can answer a couple of things, I think, well I hope, we have plenty of things that will prove our marriage. I was wondering what the actual green card they give you, if you are approved, is. My timeline is that I came over here in Oct 99 on a K-1, married Nov 99, was fingerprinted Oct 2000 and have interview April 2001. Now I have only been married some 16 months so will they give me a provisional one and if so how long is it valid for or will they give me one without conditions on it?? Also not that I want to jinx anything, but reading through the posts from people where things have gone wrong, if I got a provisional one and say we split in a year what happens then??

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Andy Smith
Old Mar 17th 2001, 10:10 pm
Grinch

"andysmith" <[email protected]> whilst watching another episode of South Park
got bored and decided to write

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

You will get a Conditional one.

The K1 FAQ has a section about conditional status. http://www.k1faq.com/#7.1

Grinch

Old Mar 17th 2001, 10:13 pm
Steve V.

First you might try to contact people who have gone through the interview at the
office you will be going to, as I am sure each one differs. We did that before our
interview and it was helpful to have an idea what to expect.

We just went through the AOS interview (Sacramento, CA) It was mostly just updating
our information. We brought lots of evidence of relationship, including pictures. The
Interviewer only looked at a few pictures and that was all. It was a piece of cake.

If your fingerprints have cleared you will be granted "Conditional" permanent
resident status. You will have to file in 1yr 9 mos. to have the conditions removed.
At that time you will have to provide more proof of relationship.....

The Green Card will take from 6-12 months to receive. You will probably get a
stamp in the passport (which in our case is good for one year) while you await the
Green Card!

As far as what happens if you split before the conditions are removed; I am sure
there are people here who know more about that, but I hope it is nothing you will
need to find out about : ) Think positive!

Best wishes!

As long as the marriage is not a fraud, there is NO reason to be scared...you have
nothing to worry about!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >