Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone use a webcam for phoning home?

Anyone use a webcam for phoning home?

Old Jun 25th 2004, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

My dad sends us little video clips of my niece using the web-cam so it can be done - his is a logitech.

I bought a more expensive camera but it doesn't actually seem to do as much as the logitechs my family have. That or I just haven't found out how to work it properly yet
Old Jun 25th 2004, 4:30 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
But they still cost and with you having a 6 month old poo and puke factory...
Fortunately, hardly any puking so far but she's just started on solid food so the nappies are getting interesting.

BTW, are you calling Snorkmaiden's dad and AndySmithers supernerds??
Old Jun 25th 2004, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

lol @ super nerds... the nerdy term is "Uber nerd" not that I am one mind
Old Jun 25th 2004, 4:42 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC
Fortunately, hardly any puking so far but she's just started on solid food so the nappies are getting interesting.

BTW, are you calling Snorkmaiden's dad and AndySmithers supernerds??
Yeah I'm quite happy to pass the über nerd (nice one USB) hat onto Snorkey or Smithers.

I'm a typical bloke and know everything about nothing.
Wide knowledge about the world but ******* useless if you actually get me to do it.

*Manc nods sagely whilst looking at his sink*

Is your baby a Gerber baby ?
Old Jun 25th 2004, 4:52 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
Is your baby a Gerber baby ?
*checks pantry*

As a matter of fact, yes! I'm usually responsible for delivery and am not involved in the upstream operations like taking it out of the container.

Let's see if the intelligent ads at the bottom of the screen switch to baby food now.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 5:01 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

We use logitech as do family and friends and we have found it invaluable. My sister is getting married tomorrow and I can't be there but the webcam will be on. There are times when the speed slows down but we find that if we don't use the voice and type instead the speed is really good and you get good quality. We use both Yahoo and MSN and find both are good for our needs.

Dave, if your parents find technology like this difficult, maybe they could go to a friends/neighbours/relatives house to see it. this is what we do with my in-laws. they don't have a webcam but the SIL does and so the in-laws go there to see us and they loved it once they got used to the way they work.

You certainly have nothing to lose by trying.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 5:21 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it's a nice novelty but it soon wears off. I use yahoo messenger to talk to my brother. It's good to see the nephew and neices but the delay puts you off after a while. Used to have a 56k modem and I see virtually no difference on the DSL..he's on a fast connection too. I had an idea of getting him to feed me the REAL BBC broadcasts from the output on his VCR...never quite panned out.