Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone successfully executed pension portability from UK Civil Service to a US Plan?

Anyone successfully executed pension portability from UK Civil Service to a US Plan?

Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone successfully executed pension portability from UK Civil Service to a US Pl

Originally Posted by colin_w
Hmmm... My account is a regular USD denominated one. If they were to receive Sterling funds, wouldn't they just convert them to dollars and deposit those? Anyone cracked this problem?
Re-read post #9
Old Aug 28th 2014, 12:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone successfully executed pension portability from UK Civil Service to a US Pl

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Re-read post #9
And #12.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:03 am
Just Joined

colin_w is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
You cannot transfer a UK retirement account into a US one. The issue you would have in the scenario you propose is taxation, there would be no way to maintain tax deferral.
I read somewhere that there was a tax treaty that allowed it, but I could be wrong.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Not allowed.
You may hear of something called QROPS but it's a dead-end.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Re-read post #9
Originally Posted by Pulaski
And #12.
Now I'm really confused. Are you saying:
  1. US banks will/won't convert sterling received to USD?
  2. UK payers are/aren't willing to convert sterling to USD at source?
  3. It's not possible to transfer money from the UK to the US?

Last edited by colin_w; Aug 28th 2014 at 1:32 am. Reason: typo
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Nope. Not allowed.
You may hear of something called QROPS but it's a dead-end.
Yes, thanks. I think that's related to the thing I read. Just curious, why is it a dead end?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Anyone successfully executed pension portability from UK Civil Service to a US Pl

Originally Posted by nun
You cannot transfer a UK retirement account into a US one. The issue you would have in the scenario you propose is taxation, there would be no way to maintain tax deferral.
...Thanks... I see it now... I did some more Googling on QROPS and found this at http://www.ukpensiontransfer.com/faq:

"Can I import my UK frozen pension fund to USA and add it to an IRA or 401K ?"
"No. The United States IRS will not permit it. UK Pensions can only be transferred to a US pension where the UK pension plan meets the pension rules of the IRS tax code. No UK pension plan seeks to meet the US requirements. The benefits and terms of UK pensions are considered to be over-generous by the US tax authorities. This import restriction even applies when the receiving scheme is an HMRC-approved Qualifying Recognized Overseas Pension Schemes (QROPS) already established in USA."
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Now I'm really confused. Are you saying:
  1. US banks will/won't convert sterling received to USD?
  2. UK payers are/aren't willing to convert sterling to USD at source?
  3. It's not possible to transfer money from the UK to the US?
It's quite simple:

1. If the US bank receives a GBP wire (or cheque, or cash) they must convert it to USD because you CAN'T HAVE a GBP a/c at a US bank in the US
2. UK payers have a choice. (Who knows if they're "willing"? ) They can send GBP, and the US bank will convert it (see 1, above), they can have their British bank convert it, and send USD, or they can use an on-line remitting service and have GBP debited from their a/c in the UK and USD credited to their a/c in the US. This third option is usually the best as you typically get a significantly better exchange rate than the banks in either country offer, and can avoid the wire fees typically charged at both ends.
3. I'm going to presume you're just taking the p!$$ with that one!

To reiterate what I said earlier: you cannot have a GBP a/c with a US bank in the US, which means exactly what it says, nothing more, nothing less!

However per #9 above this is all moot because your pension will be paid in USD into your US bank a/c.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 28th 2014 at 2:08 am.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

So far as i'm aware, your UK STATE pension can be paid by the UK International Pensions Dept direct into ANY foreign bank account and the conversion is done BEFORE the money is transmitted. Many UK Expats here have their pension paid direct into a Philippines account in pesos.It is done by Citibank in the UK on behalf of the pensions dept. I'm not sure about your Civil service pension though I presume there is no reason the UK government would not pay it directly to your US account in dollars.

your Civil Service pension is classed as a Government Pension and you need to check the double taxation agreement between UK and USA because in nearly all cases these pensions CANNOT be paid gross. They are excluded from the agreement and any tax due is deducted at source by HMRC including any tax due on your state pension if your income is over the tax free limit. By law the UK government are not allowed to take tax due off STATE pensions but can take it off GOVERNMENT or PRIVATE pensions.
foe example, my wife has a Teachers pension and a State pension. The tax due on her TOTAL income is deducted from her teachers pension but she cannot claim it gross and elect to pay tax here as BOTH pensions are specifically excluded from the double taxation agreement between UK and Philippines.

Heres some info; http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxtreaties/dtdigest.pdf

The US is not one of the few countries you can get government pensions paid gross. However, Canada is!
Old Aug 28th 2014, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops1 just looked through the document and it looks like you CAN get your pensions gross if you are both a Citizen AND resident in the US. (Right at end of document)

Sorry!
Old Aug 28th 2014, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: Anyone successfully executed pension portability from UK Civil Service to a US Pl

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's quite simple:
Thanks! I re-read the whole thread and now it's clear. (My confusion was caused because I wrote "deposit GBP" when I thought I had written (or meant to write) "deposit the value of GBP (in dollars)" Apologies.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Anyone successfully executed pension portability from UK Civil Service to a US Pl

Originally Posted by quiltman
it looks like you CAN get your pensions gross if you are both a Citizen AND resident in the US. (Right at end of document)
Thanks! In my case I'm "a national and a resident of the territory" ('N & R' in the table notation) so it looks like the relief is available if the forms discussed above are completed. Yeah!
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:08 pm

Thanks! I re-read the whole thread and now it's clear. (My confusion was caused because I wrote "deposit GBP" when I thought I had written (or meant to write) "deposit the value of GBP (in dollars)" Apologies.
You're welcome. I'm glad we've got that cleared up.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 2:23 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere that there was a tax treaty that allowed it, but I could be wrong.
The tax treaty allows for the US and UK reciprocal tax deferral of certain retirement accounts, however, the funding of those accounts is entirely governed by domestic laws and so the source of any roll over funds would also have to comply with those domestic laws and a foreign pension fund will simply not comply because it is organized under non-US legislation.

Last edited by nun; Aug 28th 2014 at 2:39 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

BTW, anyone had any interaction with this outfit:

UK Pension Transfer LLC for Frozen UK Pensions and British Pension Transfers UK

??? It came up in a Google search for QROPS (Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualifying_Recognised_Overseas_Pension_Scheme )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.