Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Originally Posted by johnh009
I read recently that 60% of disposable income in the UK is spent at Tesco. Not just on groceries but also in their insurance, banking, car breakdown service, and other multiple divisions. The government does not like this and suggested breaking up their monopoly - or maybe they are just jealous because they cannot run their own services as efficiently.
After you posted this I tried to google it to find the quote. Surely if you add Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Co-Op, Morrisons, M&S, Primark and ASDA there is nothing left for Boots and Carphone Warehouse and anybody else down the "food"-chain
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
After you posted this I tried to google it to find the quote. Surely if you add Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Co-Op, Morrisons, M&S, Primark and ASDA there is nothing left for Boots and Carphone Warehouse and anybody else down the "food"-chain
Here is a similar article that says they are predicted to "soon" take 60% of household income. They have a 120 billion share (31%) of the grocery market and are of course into petrol, banking, mobile phones, insurance, etc. and even the pawnbroking market and will soon be in used car market:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/art...=feeds-newsxml

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/markets...5&in_page_id=3
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:23 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the Daily Mail

If you read carefully, there's some sleight of hand in what they say:

Tesco accounts for £1 in every £7 spent on the High Street. However, according to Financial Mail calculations the products it sells will also soon cover 60 per cent of household income.
So that's £1 out of every £7 spent in high street stores - not total income - and no explanation of what constitutes the 'high street' for the purposes of this statement.

Then they say the products it sells will eventually "cover 60% of household income" - not that Tescos itself will have 60% of household income. In other words, they're saying that Tesco's will be involved in industries that combined take up 60% of household income. If Tesco is in banking, groceries, phone etc., that makes sense. But if you look at how much Tesco actually takes of that total 60%, it will be a fraction.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

I can't say I have any regrets moving to the USA, as I was just a young child when I was brought here. Evidently mom didn't bother to ask me if it was OK..
I've often wondered what my life would have been like if I had not been brought here to the states. I'd like to believe it would have been just fine and dandy in England.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

UKBritExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cliff1961
Is there anyone who has regret moving to united States ?

What are your reasons of regret?
Here is my my regret post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708796
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
If I were able to go back in time and knew then what I know now, I would not make the move. However it comes down to each individual's circumstances.
Wow! Sally - you took the words right out of my mouth!!! I came here very young (and silly). Just like you, if I'd known one-tenth then of what I know now, I'd never have left London.

I'm finally going back this summer, come hell or high water. I visit my family at least 2-3 times a year and am miserable every time I land at LAX. Of course, I have learned a lot here, and I have to remind myself of that.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbara1133
Wow! Sally - you took the words right out of my mouth!!! I came here very young (and silly). Just like you, if I'd known one-tenth then of what I know now, I'd never have left London.
Ditto
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:26 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Quoting ExpatBrit regrets on USA:

"I do like the US people, but I do feel sorry for them and how they could have so much more but are sold the American dream which is a dream."

i was just saying this last night in relation to just one aspect of the 'crock' that people here are sold. I am no lover of the 'Messiah.' But can someone please explain to me how it is that Americans continue to deny themselves as they call it 'universal healthcare?'

Recently, I read that 59% of people in the USA still think it is a bad idea!

Why oh why when faced with the choice of always having a safety net of healthcare; not having to fear bankruptcy, denial of coverage etc would you opt for the alternative and say no I want to 'pay through the nose!' And by the way thats the best scenario because if you don't have the $$ your not going to get the treatment without a fight in most cases. I always recall my first visit to a ER department here in the USA where the first and most important question was: How are you going to pay?

Its a bit like saying you can have everything easy but no I feel like taking the hard way? Is this the real american dream?

I understand the arguments. The $$ that are spent by interested parties, drug companies, insurance and healthcare companies to name a few. At convincing people that the 'american dream' is about not having your healthcare provided for but it really is laughable

Surely, the average person must realize they are better off with healthcare? Which leads me to question the basic moral values and cerebral qualities of where I currently reside.

For the record I am a fully paid up member of the 'I'm alright Jack' crowd. My healthcare is fully covered. But I cannot understand why the alleged richest country in the world cannot, and more importantly consistently chooses not to provide healthcare for its own? Particularly when you consider that the politicians here enjoy 'universal healthcare' just like the military??

This has become my main reason for regretting moving to the USA. Some would say stay and change it but as we have just witnessed over the last few years it will not change. The mentality of the society is embedded and stretches over far more issues than just healthcare. As you begin to see once you live here.

When you ask do I regret moving here. Absolutely!! Not the journey, the experiences and things I have learnt have been invaluable but overall I have had the epiphany moment so visible in many others here. It usually occurs I think anywhere between 5 - 10 years of being here and is definitely age related IMHO.

Last edited by confusedenglishrose; Mar 24th 2011 at 4:50 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:32 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose

It's interesting because they actually twist that number to make it seem that way. Actually over 50% of people either approve or want the bill to go further. They take the people who think the bill isn't liberal enough and lump them in with the people who want it repealed to get to that 59%. If you asked me, I'd say I don't approve of the reform, but I'd be one of the ones who wants it to go further.

So once again, we're in a situation where the American people want one thing, and the media and corporations want another. What the American people want gets swept under the carpet and ignored in favor of the corporations.

Who is "the messiah"? I'm assuming you mean the President? Personally, I'm so thankful that he was elected and passed that bill - no one else could have done it, and it has given me much needed peace of mind as a small business owner who has suddenly been given protections I didn't have before. Thank you President Obama
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We have coverage through husband's employer, too. But then I have to think about my kids and what will happen when they start work. The healthcare issue is a massive blind spot for Americans. It seems that they'd rather pay over the odds and have massive inconvenience as long as it keeps the pecking order intact.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:35 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by windsong
Ditto
Me to
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It's interesting because they actually twist that number to make it seem that way. Actually over 50% of people either approve or want the bill to go further. They take the people who think the bill isn't liberal enough and lump them in with the people who want it repealed to get to that 59%. If you asked me, I'd say I don't approve of the reform, but I'd be one of the ones who wants it to go further.

So once again, we're in a situation where the American people want one thing, and the media and corporations want another. What the American people want gets swept under the carpet and ignored in favor of the corporations.

Who is "the messiah"? I'm assuming you mean the President? Personally, I'm so thankful that he was elected and passed that bill - no one else could have done it, and it has given me much needed peace of mind as a small business owner who has suddenly been given protections I didn't have before. Thank you President Obama
I agree the figures probably do represent different things. but as you say once again we are in a position where the majority of the American people want one thing and get taken.

Yes messiah = Obama but I am warming more and more to his approach. it just is sad to see that even with his 'weight' its a bit like stabbing an elephant with a pin.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We have coverage through husband's employer, too. But then I have to think about my kids and what will happen when they start work. The healthcare issue is a massive blind spot for Americans. It seems that they'd rather pay over the odds and have massive inconvenience as long as it keeps the pecking order intact.
So very true.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose

"I do like the US people, but I do feel sorry for them and how they could have so much more but are sold the American dream which is a dream."

i was just saying this last night in relation to just one aspect of the 'crock' that people here are sold. I am no lover of the 'Messiah.' But can someone please explain to me how it is that Americans continue to deny themselves as they call it 'universal healthcare?'

Why oh why when faced with the choice of always having a safety net of healthcare; not having to fear bankruptcy, denial of coverage etc would you opt for the alternative and say no I want to 'pay through the nose!' And by the way thats the best scenario because if you don't have the $$ your not going to get the treatment without a fight in most cases. I always recall my first visit to a ER department here in the USA where the first and most important question was: How are you going to pay?

Its a bit like saying you can have everything easy but no I feel like taking the hard way? Is this the real american dream?

I understand the arguments. The $$ that are spent by interested parties, drug companies, insurance and healthcare companies to name a few. At convincing people that the 'american dream' is about not having your healthcare provided for but it really is laughable

Surely, the average person must realize they are better off with healthcare? Which leads me to question the basic moral values and cerebral qualities of where I currently reside.

For the record I am a fully paid up member of the 'I'm alright Jack' crowd. My healthcare is fully covered. But I cannot understand why the alleged richest country in the world cannot, and more importantly consistently chooses not to provide healthcare for its own? Particularly when you consider that the politicians here enjoy 'universal healthcare' just like the military??

This has become my main reason for regretting moving to the USA. Some would say stay and change it but as we have just witnessed over the last few years it will not change. The mentality of the society is embedded and stretches over far more issues than just healthcare. As you begin to see once you live here.

When you ask do I regret moving here. Absolutely!! Not the journey, the experiences and things I have learnt have been invaluable but overall I have had the epiphany moment so visible in many others here. It usually occurs I think anywhere between 5 - 10 years of being here and is definitely age related IMHO.

I have been tavelling back and for to united States for 5 years staying 3 months per period i have witnessed my fiance' having treatment.

I GUARNTEE YOU 100% YOU DO NOT GET WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR, THEY DO NOT WANT TO TREAT YOU THEY WANT YOU BACK AND FOR ALL THE TIME JUST TO GET MONEY OUT OF YOU.

As far as the health care brought in i think it is Good all for the reason of those who suffer with pre existing conditions and disabilities who could not get health insurances. thousands of the disabled were not asked to be born disabled and i am sure they would rather have their qualities of life.
It all boils down to GREED, all the insurances want is your money but do not want to part with theirs.

My uncle suffered a massive stroke in the uk and was in hospital for 3 weeks, then transferred to rehabilitation for a period of approx 3 months and capable of taking care of himself spending time through rehabilitation.
My Fiance's uncle has just suffered a Stroke in united states paying health Insurance all his life, one week in hospital, one week in rehabilitation now has to sell all his property & Business to go into a nursing home, where he should be kept in rehabilitation for much longer and then possibly come around and have his life in his own home.
Health insurance will not pay the finance to keep him in rehabilitation to over come the stroke.
All the money he has paid over the years, is all down the drain never got the treatment he paid for throughout the years.

Last edited by cliff1961; Mar 24th 2011 at 5:16 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by cliff1961
I have been tavelling back and for to united States for 5 years staying 3 months per period i have witnessed my fiance' having treatment.

I GUARNTEE YOU 100% YOU DO NOT GET WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR, THEY DO NOT WANT TO TREAT YOU THEY WANT YOU BACK AND FOR ALL THE TIME JUST TO GET MONEY OUT OF YOU.

As far as the health care brought in i think it is Good all for the reason of those who suffer with pre existing conditions and disabilities who could not get health insurances. thousands of the disabled were not asked to be born disabled and i am sure they would rather have their qualities of life.
It all boils down to GREED, all the insurances want is your money but do not want to part with theirs.

My uncle suffered a massive stroke in the uk and was in hospital for 3 weeks, then transferred to rehabilitation for a period of approx 3 months and capable of taking care of himself spending time through rehabilitation.
My Fiance's uncle has just suffered a Stroke in united states paying health Insurance all his life, one week in hospital, one week in rehabilitation now has to go into a nursing home, health insurance will not pay the finance to keep him in rehabilitation to over come the stroke.
All the money he has paid over the years, is all down the drain never got the treatment he required.
Absolutely agree with all you said. And then of course the bottom feeding insurance companies offer this great product called...... Long term care insurance. Its a beauty, the perfect slot in to their already suspect array of products. Long term health insurance is supposed to cover those situations your uncle unfortunately suffered. But we all know the truth. IF, and its a big if they decide to pay out, the amount is limited, strictly defined etc. A friend of mine was just quoted between $700 - 1000 a month in premiums at age 53 for long term. Lets just say my tea hit the wall on the other side of the room when they told me this!!

Its the perfect insurance product. high premiums, low payout rate I would assume. Otherwise they would not be offering it...And easily sold because its preys on peoples fear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.