Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone know about UK qualifications in the US?

Anyone know about UK qualifications in the US?

Old May 30th 2009, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Anna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really niceAnna Clare is just really nice
Default Anyone know about UK qualifications in the US?

what is the best way to get UK qualifications accredited or matriculated in the US?

I have a variety including an M.Sc in Care, Policy and Management, and the UK postgraduate Certificate of Qualification in Social Work.

I have so far been asked to pay $400 for the CQSW to be evaluated; this is $400 while I will still have to pursue all my own course transcripts etc.

Do we even have course transcripts in the UK?!

I used to work in NHS senior-administration an in my career I have also been a social worker twenty years ago, and a development manager for a charity. Career ideas welcomed!

Last edited by Anna Clare; May 30th 2009 at 10:04 pm.
Old May 30th 2009, 11:40 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone know about UK qualifications in the US?

Originally Posted by Anna Clare
what is the best way to get UK qualifications accredited or matriculated in the US?

I have a variety including an M.Sc in Care, Policy and Management, and the UK postgraduate Certificate of Qualification in Social Work.

I have so far been asked to pay $400 for the CQSW to be evaluated; this is $400 while I will still have to pursue all my own course transcripts etc.

Do we even have course transcripts in the UK?!

I used to work in NHS senior-administration an in my career I have also been a social worker twenty years ago, and a development manager for a charity. Career ideas welcomed!
There are plenty of outfits who will "evaluate" your credentials and give you a certificate of equivalence. Search on "credential evaluators". Ones that are members of NACES seem to be more widely accepted.

I don't know about the CQSW, though, especially if you want to work as a licensed social worker. First stop there would be to look at potential employers and find out what they would accept, evaluation wise.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I used trustfortecorp.com for my credential evaluation. They were fast and around $100 from memory (or less).
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

WES are the quite big....but unless you've been specifically asked to get it done by someone it's probably a waste of money and time...
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:02 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, before you go to the legal people go to your professional body they should give advice and also your old Uni they are meant to keep transcripts from your course and it should be free or nominal cost, that how it works in nursing, you don't require translation if in English, and then you need to find out what to do with the transcripts! in the USA!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:10 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

just thought you are talking years ago? you where at uni?, they tend to forward transcription these days after 20 years or so to the professional body, so start with them, mine strangely are lodged both at a uni, I didn't even go to and the NMC (nurses and midwives council)
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Outfits is the correct phrase! Unfortunately, this area has been long sewn up as the ultimate game. Can't get a job without accreditation and the accreditation does not come cheap. And when you start to investigate who's behind the ownership fo the accreditation companies you begin to ask yourself is this for real!

Unfortunately is all about $$ and probably some Afghan sheep farming schools in the 1980's that were able to pass off their degrees in the USA as MD's or JD's.

Best advice - search for certified accreditation - dont know who check out who the FEDS use on usajobs.com - where if you ever hope for a federal job as a foreign educated individual you will have to duel swords with accreditation agencies.

Wish you luck and say try and try again to convince them of your qualifications without the accreditation agency involvement. Though $400 sounds fairly cheap.

Oh and yes Uk institutions do have transcripts - usually 5 or 10 pounds to get for each one.

Last edited by slidingbyee; Jun 2nd 2009 at 3:21 am. Reason: more info