Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone with H1B consultant experience?

Anyone with H1B consultant experience?

Old Apr 24th 2015, 10:59 am
Just Joined

yorkshire_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone with H1B consultant experience?

Hi all,

Just to pre-empt my question I’ve read all the wiki info on visa options, spoken with lawyers in the past about various routes available to me at different times, my sister is a US citizen and my brother a GC holder. As a family we have been through the gamut of different visas at one time or another!

I am a business owner in the UK and supply my services as a consultant and am considering starting a similar venture in the US, partnering with my brother. Briefly, my brother would be CEO and I a non-executive investor. The company would then sponsor my H1B to provide consultancy services in the US.

I’m not looking for specific visa advice per se (we have a meeting set-up with a lawyer next week for that), but rather I’m hoping to hook-up with someone on here who has experience of forming or working for a US based consultancy. Obviously though all comments are welcome.

I will of course post back the results of my lawyers meeting for other forum readers’ benefit.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 7:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone with H1B consultant experience?

You might do better going for an E-2 (you'd need a different corporate structure, but it would be easier, quicker (start date isn't Oct 1, 2016 or later), not capped, not subject to a lottery) , then submitting an EB-_ green card application.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshire_lad
Hi all,
I am a business owner in the UK and supply my services as a consultant and am considering starting a similar venture in the US, partnering with my brother. Briefly, my brother would be CEO and I a non-executive investor. The company would then sponsor my H1B to provide consultancy services in the US.
I did this, pre H1b lottery.

Our lawyer encouraged us to strengthen our legitimacy as a bricks-and-mortar business. We had $60K of startup capital, long resumes, Manhattan office space with signage, a receptionist, a website showcasing our work, brochures, letters of commitment from potential clients etc... It was also an H1b transfer, so cap-exempt I believe.

The H1b was approved, we subsequently petitioned for an O1 for me, and then an EB1A. Took a long time, but it was nice to have some element of control of the process.

HTH
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:01 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

General comment -- it is not uncommon for people to ask about specific visa categories when a more generalized question of "how can enter the United States as soon as possible and be allowed to stay?" accompanied by relevant facts.

In this thread, the question is about H-1b. There was a response to look at another possibility. In another thread, there is a question of pursuing L-1b from Canada. There might be other ways of "skinning the cat" so to speak.

A good immigration lawyer will explore the possiblities. [A bad one will limit their inquiry. ]
Old Apr 27th 2015, 12:51 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshire_lad
Briefly, my brother would be CEO and I a non-executive investor
If you're going to be an investor anyway, the more logical path is E-2. You cannot self-sponsor for H-1B and it comes across as though you would be as you effectively control the employer.

My personal view is H-1B is always best avoided if possible.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You cannot self-sponsor for H-1B and it comes across as though you would be as you effectively control the employer.
He can. As long as the business is partly owned by a USC there is no problem.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot self-sponsor, an employer has to file the I-129, he cannot do it for himself. And given that his brother is the employer, that also comes across as a bit fishy. Nor is there a requirement for the owner of the business to be a US citizen. The owner isn't particularly relevant, lots of IT companies are owned by foreign entities and they use tons of H-1Bs.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 11:54 am
Just Joined

yorkshire_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the comments. Most useful.

Preliminary talks with lawyer have moved away from H1B (as some of you have suggested) and down either the investor or intra-co transfer route. Depends on how we structure the venture in relation to our existing businesses I think. Talks ongoing.

The bottom line here is business...the business will not just be a vehicle to get into the USA, the USA is a vehicle to get business!

(I should put that on my visa application)

Thanks again.