Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any work-place related lawyers out there? I need advice.

Any work-place related lawyers out there? I need advice.

Old May 8th 2009, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any work-place related lawyers out there? I need advice.

Interesting what people are saying about the UK.

OH works for large international company. In the US and Canada they have implemented a reduction in days worked (with concomitant cut in pay) but they can't do this in the UK office as labor laws won't allow (so they say). They have asked for volunteers to cut their hours and pay in the UK. Funny no takers.
Old May 8th 2009, 4:14 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

80% of pay is better than 0% of pay.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:50 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

As others have said, it is worth checking what his contract says, and check that he is still covered by UK terms and conditions, including organisational policies on changes to hours of work, pay etc.

In the UK, changes to hours of work and pay must be done in consultation with the employees, unions, and once a decision is made by the organisation, reasonable notice must be given to the employees. That said, consulation can just mean asking the employees and the union of their views on the furloughs, and then doing what the organisations wants to do anyway!

Other factor is whether the company sponsored (I presume?) GC now means he is moved to US terms and conditions of employement. Worth reading through anything the organisation gave him once this was completed.

Be mindful that rocking the boat might not be a wise thig to do right now in his position, but like you said, if things go belly up, you have your GC's to fall back on!
Old May 8th 2009, 1:25 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
As others have said, it is worth checking what his contract says, and check that he is still covered by UK terms and conditions, including organisational policies on changes to hours of work, pay etc.
And if he is on a UK contract, the first thing to find out is probably whether that contract is even enforceable. I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea.
Old May 8th 2009, 5:31 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Be mindful that rocking the boat might not be a wise thig to do right now in his position, but like you said, if things go belly up, you have your GC's to fall back on!
They are a pretty flimsy fall back at this point because it's very difficult for citizens to find employment - and there is unfortunately an anti-immigrant backlash that is causing employers to reject even permanent residents out of hand. The legality of this has been discussed in other threads, but were it me, and I wanted to stay here, I'd take the 80% and if that really wasn't enough to meet my needs, I'd start a new job search on the side.
Old May 8th 2009, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
It might be worth doing a bit more digging into things. I think employment contracts are different in the UK and the US.

For example, I read recently about EDS reducing salaries across the board in the US, but were unable to do so in such a free and easy way in Europe due to the employment laws there.

As I understand it - any changes to terms and conditions have to be agreed with employees. I think that would also apply to shut down periods. Of course how that 'consultation' happens and what might be the alternatives if the change is not agreed to are all variables.

If I were in your shoes, I think I would try and do some research - what about HR in the UK? Or a UK based employment lawyer?
Research it is then! And lots of it. Things are still not definite so we won't consult any lawyers for the time being. Just scoping out our options.

Originally Posted by emailrob
What about his UK contract? Most contracts in the UK already have such a clause saying that they may change working hours, terms and conditions etc. with reasonable notice and consultation. In the US generally such consultation is not required, unless there is a specific state law in place.

However, even saying that I would suggest your OH politely speaks to the HR person, mentioning you assume it was an oversight as such a change would affect people on a US contract only.

Are there people in the UK having this done also or just US?

My only word of caution is be wary of your OH not marginalising himself by being the only one this does not affect in the US office. People talk openly about these types of things over here.
Many valid points. The last thing he wants to do is marginalize himself. As far as I am aware this is only happening in the US, but at the moment, it is all very unclear. Maybe when things are confirmed we will know more.

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Keira, is your husband the only employee with a "European contract" working in the US office of the company (I read that he's the only one in his section)?

I ask because if he is, and the others have had a forced pay cut, having his full pay reinstated would cause some serious resentment. If he is not, and there are others in the same position who might even be willing to join the fight, you'd be better off.
He is the only one in our particular location but there are many locations across the US. Makes it all a bit more difficult because he's the boss as well. (At least of this site.)

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought once you become a permanent resident most companies consider you a US employee and not on secondment from another country. You would therefore fall under the T & Cs of the US company.
Well we've only been GC holders for a month. We hadn't considered that we would fall under the US system now. Good thinking Batman!

Originally Posted by Manc
80% of pay is better than 0% of pay.
You got that right. And we are fully aware of it!

In the UK, changes to hours of work and pay must be done in consultation with the employees, unions, and once a decision is made by the organisation, reasonable notice must be given to the employees. That said, consulation can just mean asking the employees and the union of their views on the furloughs, and then doing what the organisations wants to do anyway!

Other factor is whether the company sponsored (I presume?) GC now means he is moved to US terms and conditions of employement. Worth reading through anything the organisation gave him once this was completed.

Your description of the UK system is how I had understood it to be but I am now finding out otherwise. We obviously need to be fully aware of what his contract does or does not cover. But we most certainly don't want to get that boat rocking. As Manc implied, a lower paid job is better than no job!

Originally Posted by snowbunny
They are a pretty flimsy fall back at this point because it's very difficult for citizens to find employment - and there is unfortunately an anti-immigrant backlash that is causing employers to reject even permanent residents out of hand. The legality of this has been discussed in other threads, but were it me, and I wanted to stay here, I'd take the 80% and if that really wasn't enough to meet my needs, I'd start a new job search on the side.
How right you are Snowbunny. And that is what he shall do. Keep his head down, find out his rights, and keep an eye on the job section of the broadsheets.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. We do need to find out more info for ourselves, which we shall do. Heck, it's not even definite yet either. Hopefully the company will change their mind and write it off as a bad idea... well, we can but hope, right?
Old May 8th 2009, 11:50 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an attorney, but based upon my knowledge of business law, my guess would be this -

-A contract takes precedence over any employment-at-will laws. The contract should dictate your terms, although it can't be used that violate matters of public policy. (For example, a contract clause that pays a wage below minimum wage would not be enforceable, even if both parties wanted it.)

-I know less about this, but I'm fairly sure that there are precedents to have foreign contracts enforced in US courts if there is activity that involves the parties transacting their relationship in the US. I'd ask a lawyer about this, but I'd bet that the contract is binding, barring any carve outs for terms not permitted in agreements in the US or your state.

-However, as a practical matter, litigation is slow and expensive. The contract probably also has termination-for-cause clauses, which could be used unfairly by an angry employer looking for an excuse to terminate. Those kind of labor disputes become he-said, she-said debates that can be costly and time consuming, although if you have a good, lucrative case, your lawyer should work for you on contingency.

In other words, you may be legally right, but in practical terms, you may not have enough leverage to make it stick and/or the damages may not be high enough that a lawyer working for a percentage would represent you. I don't know your individual circumstances vis-a-vis the employer, but you may want to just go along with the cuts. I'd quantify the losses and expense, and the quality of the job, and figure out from there whether it's worth doing battle or not.
Old May 9th 2009, 12:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I'm not an attorney, but based upon my knowledge of business law, my guess would be this -
-A contract takes precedence over any employment-at-will laws. The contract should dictate your terms, although it can't be used that violate matters of public policy. (For example, a contract clause that pays a wage below minimum wage would not be enforceable, even if both parties wanted it.)
Probably not in this case, but a lot of contracts in at will states aren't really contracts, or they state that they are not an employment contract somewhere, I know mine did and I know loads of others who have similar things scribbled in theirs...A contract can't violate the law though and anything that would, depending on how it is worded could void either that part of the contract or the entire contract...
Old May 9th 2009, 4:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is his notice period?

He could only delay it by that long.
Old May 9th 2009, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
What is his notice period?

He could only delay it by that long.
Good point. Unless the contract is guaranteed, regardless of the legal position, pushing this too much could risk not only alienating coworkers, but also the employer itself - not a wise move in this economic climate.

What I would do in the circumstances is politely ask HR whether I was affected by the shutdown given my employment contract. Hopefully they'd be proactive enough to research it and conclude I wasn't, but failing that I doubt I'd push it beyond that point.