Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any possible pitfalls?

Any possible pitfalls?

Old Nov 11th 2017, 1:04 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any possible pitfalls?

Originally Posted by kins
$7500 a year for me here in Maine. To get a property tax rate of $2k in my town you'd be living in a 1-bed apartment valued at $110k... if you could find one...
The only properties for sale anywhere near me that would give a property tax bill of $2K or less are all basically condemned.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
The only properties for sale anywhere near me that would give a property tax bill of $2K or less are all basically condemned.
Out of curiosity I just looked and here the cheapest property for sale is a piece of land for $150k. Still I guess a tent would be cheap to maintain :-)
Old Nov 11th 2017, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

My house in England , needs repairing yet again. Last roof was replaced about 15 years ago and now I have a major leak to deal with and the damage it has caused inside the house.

As for heating, I was forever having to bleed radiators, put in corrosion inhibitors in the central heating system in England. Replacement boiler is around £3000.

The heating in the US does not leak and lasts for years. My last furnace was about 30 years old before we replaced it.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 1:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

$7500 a year for me here in Maine. To get a property tax rate of $2k in my town you'd be living in a 1-bed apartment valued at $110k... if you could find one...
Out of curiosity I just looked and here the cheapest property for sale is a piece of land for $150k. Still I guess a tent would be cheap to maintain. ....
I think we're up to about $1,650 property taxes ("per year", for the benefit of JG ), for 2,775sqft, nominally 4 beds (but could easily be 6 beds), and 1.5 acres.
Originally Posted by mrken30
My house in England , needs repairing yet again. Last roof was replaced about 15 years ago and now I have a major leak to deal with and the damage it has caused inside the house.

As for heating, I was forever having to bleed radiators, put in corrosion inhibitors in the central heating system in England. Replacement boiler is around £3000. ....
I swear you must live under your own personal cloud.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 11th 2017 at 1:42 am.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity I just looked and here the cheapest property for sale is a piece of land for $150k. Still I guess a tent would be cheap to maintain :-)
Property tax on a tiny home is probably cheap. Or just buy land and an RV.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think we're up to about $1,650 property taxes ("per year", for the benefit of JG ), for 2,775sqft, nominally 4 beds (but could easily be 6 beds), and 1.5 acres.
South Carolina? That's on my list of possible places to move to when the maine winters finally drive me away from here...
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

South Carolina? That's on my list of possible places to move to when the Maine winters finally drive me away from here...
No, NC. I hear that property tax rates in SC are higher, though property tends to be cheaper.

And Mrs P has just informed me that I am wrong about the taxes - the 2017 bill is actually for a little under $1,600.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:27 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

We have a 4 bed house in a small coastal New England town/village. Tax was around $3K when we moved in, has now gone up to $3.5K. Plenty of smaller properties around here pay $2K....
Old Nov 11th 2017, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

AZbound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AZgal
On and off for the mast few years we have been researching a move to Arizona from the U.K. We have even just come back from a month actually being in Arizona.

Everything is coming together this time and our research has proved very positive. My Other Half is getting a transfer, I have found a lot of jobs I could apply for, we have chosen 3 areas we’d like to live and visited them, property is all bigger and cheaper than here in the U.K., our general costs would be cheaper, we have a great deal for a car rental until we buy our own, we tried out social groups and loved them, we love the weather, I’m working on all the insurances, we have savings, looked at the logistics of shipping,

But you know that feeling if it all seems too good... So I was wondering has anyone made the move and come across pitfalls or issues that I haven’t thought about?

We made the move from the UK to Tucson almost a year ago and we are loving it out here.

The only thing I would say, which is similar to others is, the cost of almost everything - groceries, health insurance, medications, veterinary treatment, phone/internet/tv service, pool service. Our electric bill in the height of the summer months was close to 400 a month because of the AC and my desire not to melt.

Oh and my husband is still mourning the loss of his weekly bacon sarnie

If at all possible, definitely try and get sponsorship for green cards written into the contract.

But yes, aside from the obvious of missing family and friends and the (very) occasional pang for some rain and a cold, crisp winters day, we don't regret a thing.

Good luck with the move!
Old Nov 11th 2017, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30

Prices of secondhand goods are just plain crazy, sometimes people want more for stuff than it costs to buy new. This also goes for used cars.
I bought a new-to-me car in June after seeing an article that stated there was a nationwide glut of late model used cars and prices had fallen. Then Hurricane Harvey came and ruined a million cars in Texas. Used car prices nationwide flipped from being unusually low to unusually high.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 6:35 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You keep on saying "your other half" Is this your husband, because if not you'll need to get married (no unmarried partner visa for the US).

What visa is he getting? If an L1x then you'll be OK to work; if an Hxx, then you can't work.

One major issue for me would be the summer heat in Arizona
Aside -- why do you assume "husband." "Wives" count too.

Also, on the non-immigrant end of things [e.g.], household members can obtain a B-2 if not married.

Used to do this all the time be gay marriage was legalized.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 6:43 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not only did I never need to replace a roof on my house in the UK, nor have my parents never replaced a roof on any house they owned, I don't know a single person in the UK who ever had to put a new roof on their house. Here? My neighbor just had a new roof installed to replace one that was only 11 years old! A roof that lasts 20 years seems to have done very well to last that long.

Trust me, having owned homes in the UK and the US, US homes need a LOT more TLC, and a a LOT more money, to keep them running.
On roofs, slate and tile [aka "Spanish"] do last forever, but even they need periodic maintenance. In AZ, I've seen both tile roofs and the composition roofs [which do need replacement].

Shake roofs used to be common here in L.A. and if maintained, would last forever without replacement. It is now illegal to replace them inasmuch as they are fire hazards.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 6:52 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
You pay $2000 a month in property tax...your serious???????
Inasmuch as you are moving to California, property tax is computed by "Proposition 13" which is 1% plus bonded indebetness. Think of 1.2% of purchase price.

Under current law, local property taxes are deductible for federal tax purposes. [Note, the current Republican tax proposal seeks to repeal this. It seems that the proposal is a "middle class tax cut" unless you live in California or New York].
Old Nov 11th 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Aside -- why do you assume "husband." .....
No assumption is necessary - AZgal refers to her other half as being "he" in post #5 above.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_
I don't know how you come up with all this stuff about property maintenance being so much more in the US than the UK, it's not something I've noticed. Fair enough you might need AC but $25,000? .....
'Ere you go. I received a quote last night to replace one of our heating/AC systems .... $10-$12,000 for mid-range to moderately well specified systems, so more expensive is certainly possible. Then another $2,700 to fix some ductwork issues to bring it up to current code - that isn't required, but will enable us to make better use of the new system and address poor heating and cooling issues in some parts of our home.

In short, going the whole hog to replace our systems would certainly cost $25,000, and could be more if we chose systems with all the bells and whistles.

To be clear, this isn't an esoteric system we're talking about, it's a split AC system - most of the machinery in the attic with the condenser coils outside, and a heat pump with gas back up for the coldest weather. And the quote isn't for one of the known high price brands either, it for well known manufacturers, with a good reputation, but not the most expensive ones.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 15th 2017 at 6:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.