Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American toilets

American toilets

Old May 3rd 2012, 1:57 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: American toilets

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I know this is going to sound awful, but what happens when one is ill and needs to stick one's head down the loo several times?
In terms of the water level?

The water level in any toilet won't rise (if it's working correctly) - you can pour a bathful of water into the toilet and it will just let the existing water flow out. This is useful if your flush breaks - just pour a bucket of water into the toilet and it will have the same effect.

Not that any of this helps my wet tissue problem...
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:09 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
In terms of the water level?

The water level in any toilet won't rise (if it's working correctly) - you can pour a bathful of water into the toilet and it will just let the existing water flow out. This is useful if your flush breaks - just pour a bucket of water into the toilet and it will have the same effect.

Not that any of this helps my wet tissue problem...
Yes, I meant that your vomit would be a lot closer to your face when you are being sick if the water levels are so high.

Euuugggghhh ... I knew I didn't want to say that.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Yes, I meant that your vomit would be a lot closer to your face when you are being sick if the water levels are so high.

Euuugggghhh ... I knew I didn't want to say that.
One does it from a safe distance away; or one tries to find a bucket instead.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you learn something new from this forum every day. How to avoid getting your face wet when driving the porcelain truck. Thanks!

RE the toilet paper problem I think is either due to lack of support (hand not underneath most of the paper) or you're using too long a wad of tissue. I guess the other thing you could do is go foreign and use soap, water, and hand. Not the eating hand.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe what you need is a cr@pper with a remote. It's only $6400....

Last edited by MrBaker2011; May 3rd 2012 at 6:10 pm. Reason: Worked it out...
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LillyRobeson
This might just be my personal experience but I'm really struggling with US public toilets. I find the partitions are so small and with huge gaps in between. It's really bad at work - I can actually SEE in to the cubicles between the gaps from outside when someone is in one. If someone is in the cubicle next to me, I can see way too much of her and hear and smell way way way too much. I really don't want this kind of intimacy with my colleagues, and, heaven forbid, my boss!

Why why why can't they build proper cubicles which if not sound proofed and reaching up to the ceiling at least seem to provide some modicum of privacy in the UK?

Is this just me or does anyone else struggle with this????
I agree. Whenever my wife and I fancy going to Boston and arrive at North Station I'm staggered at how bad the cubicles are. The locks on two (out of three) of them have been broken for about four years, and, like every other public restroom I've been to here, there's massive gaps between door and cubicle wall(s). If I can see out they sure as hell can see in.
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

bobLobLaw is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. Whenever my wife and I fancy going to Boston and arrive at North Station I'm staggered at how bad the cubicles are. The locks on two (out of three) of them have been broken for about four years, and, like every other public restroom I've been to here, there's massive gaps between door and cubicle wall(s). If I can see out they sure as hell can see in.
My first trip to the US I had the poops really bad, and I was in NYC in a large bookstore, and a line started forming outside... I made eye contact with at least 3 people the gaps were so large... worst experience ever in a public toilet (note I narrowed that down)
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

The public toilets at a park near me doesn't have doors on the cubicles!
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobLobLaw
My first trip to the US I had the poops really bad, and I was in NYC in a large bookstore, and a line started forming outside... I made eye contact with at least 3 people the gaps were so large... worst experience ever in a public toilet (note I narrowed that down)
You should have waved at them and see if they replied. A lot of the time I find the cubicle walls are too short too. I'm not that big a guy but when I can almost look over them you know there's a problem, although I think this happens back in the UK a lot of the time too.

When I went to New York (which wasn't a great experience but that's for another time) pretty much every restaurant/food place I went to had just one toilet. I guess because space is premium? It reminded me of the good old flying days, when you'd enter the toilet with just you there, and when you left you'd find about ten people waiting in line, pressed right up to the door. Nice.

Originally Posted by Anian
The public toilets at a park near me doesn't have doors on the cubicles!
I guess it might make for interesting conversation...
Old May 3rd 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that really bothers me, although it is not just a US thing, are the auto flushing toilets. There you are, just finished another perfect piece of anal art and, of course, you want to have a good 'inspection'! Before you can turn around to admire your work, the auto-flush has activated, spoiling a perfect moment! On top of that you now have the deal with the paper side of the 'business' and of course that requires another flush. Water saving? Not!

I guess it is still better than the 'good old days', where, if a real piece of sculpting had occurred, the prior occupant would leave it for the next stallholder to admire.... Either that or they were just plane lazy,
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road

I wish I hadn't started this thread...
Old May 3rd 2012, 11:19 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

You are not alone.
Old May 4th 2012, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Seems to me I took a wrong turn somewhere and accidentally landed at germanexpats.com
Old May 4th 2012, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I can up the stakes here.

With the significantly higher water level, if I am not paying attention, I've on occasion actually brushed my hand against the water while reaching around to begin the wipe.

Definitely not a good way to start the day, especially after a heavy night out (when such lapses in concentration usually happen).
Old May 4th 2012, 11:35 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by caleyjag
I can up the stakes here.

With the significantly higher water level, if I am not paying attention, I've on occasion actually brushed my hand against the water while reaching around to begin the wipe.

Definitely not a good way to start the day, especially after a heavy night out (when such lapses in concentration usually happen).
Brilliant - Makes me feel much more normal with my dangling tissue problem. You must have big hands or long arms... Chimpanzee style?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.