Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are American less patient than Brits?

Are American less patient than Brits?

Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:50 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are American less patient than Brits?

I recognize none of the OP, my wife often chastises me for not giving people personal space and I think she has a point, we British are used to less space than many Americans.

Examples, I will nudge in to spaces in a crowd. I will (or at least used to until my wife trained me) just sit down at the free side of a table in a pub or relaxed attmosphere restaurant.

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 6th 2017 at 12:54 am.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

We had personal space training at work today. We got taught personal space is from 1 1/2 ft to 4ft for an individual.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever we visited relatives in Poland in the past, people would often converse almost nose to nose only a few inches away. I couldn't get used to it, and found myself backing away until hitting a wall where I then had no choice.

But I came later to appreciate this as a very human need and reaction for personal contact in communication and sharing. I see this idea of expansive personal space these days on public transportation where people spread out across seats with their feet or bags, and I don't really like it. It makes for alienation and avoidance of inter-personal contact in my opinion, and miss the old days in eastern Europe sometimes.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:24 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience here of over 40 years in the US I find that Americans are very polite, quick to apologize if they think they've inconvenienced you in any way. Sometimes they apologize when it's not their fault but California is still laid back anyway.

Being one of the largest cities in the US there are often humungous traffic jams at times in LA but when a driver is heard blasting his horn then the general opinion is that "he must be some asshole from New York"

Last edited by dc koop; Sep 6th 2017 at 4:26 am.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
Just a few observations, currently living in NJ very close to NYC.

1. Getting in elevators, normally Brits wait for people to get out before attempting to enter right?
2. Letting person in adjacent bus seat get off first
3. Waiting until its safe to pass
4. Personal space, people walking way too close unnecessarily
5. People grabbing items in the supermarket that you were obviously about to grab
6. People attempting to cut the line
7. Not giving way to even elderly people at crosswalks
8. When you stop at a ped crossing for an elderly person the car behind tries to "go around" almost hitting said pedestrian and honks out of impatience

Does anybody else experience this? It London the same ? Wondering if I can even get used to this or will I have to move out into the sticks to get away from it :P
Obviously you've never been to China....
Old Sep 9th 2017, 6:08 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Obviously you've never been to China....
OMG ain't that the truth!
Old Sep 11th 2017, 9:02 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

5. People grabbing items in the supermarket that you were obviously about to grab
I don't understand this. How would they know you were about to grab it? Was your hand hovering over it and they slipped their hand underneath your hand? Was there only one? Was it the last one? If it was the last one then I wouldn't want it anyway, there's probably something wrong with it --- that's why nobody wanted it.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie
I don't understand this. How would they know you were about to grab it? Was your hand hovering over it and they slipped their hand underneath your hand? Was there only one? Was it the last one? If it was the last one then I wouldn't want it anyway, there's probably something wrong with it --- that's why nobody wanted it.
3 occasions spring to mind:

Thanksgiving rush after work [Whole Foods Manhattan] - last box of rosemary, sage and thyme. Hand was within an inch of the box, lady runs up and grabs it first.

Korean supermarket (on a special offer day) [NJ] - after waiting in line for beef to be cut, Korean lady pretends to not speak English and makes gestures that she just wants to look at the selection and not order, so I let her go in front to do looking only. She grabs all the beef and I have to wait another 5-10 mins for a new batch to be cut.

Korean supermarket [NJ] same day - in line the guy behind keeps looking over my shoulder at the line in front, I assume he is just looking but I realize that he is actually looking for an opportunity to sneak in front of me when there is the slightest gap. I move to the left when he moves to the left to block him and move to the right when he moves to the right. When I look behind to say "what?" he pretends to not speak English.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 3:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Korean supermarket (on a special offer day) [NJ] - after waiting in line for beef to be cut, Korean lady pretends to not speak English and makes gestures that she just wants to look at the selection and not order, so I let her go in front to do looking only. She grabs all the beef and I have to wait another 5-10 mins for a new batch to be cut.

Korean supermarket [NJ] same day - in line the guy behind keeps looking over my shoulder at the line in front, I assume he is just looking but I realize that he is actually looking for an opportunity to sneak in front of me when there is the slightest gap. I move to the left when he moves to the left to block him and move to the right when he moves to the right. When I look behind to say "what?" he pretends to not speak English.
This thread asks about "Americans", but those two seem more relevant to Koreans.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This thread asks about "Americans", but those two seem more relevant to Koreans.
Well quite a large percentage of NYC are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants. They are still 'Americans' I guess if they live here.

I guess it is just a NYC thing to be, less patient and more stressed out.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well quite a large percentage of NYC are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants. They are still 'Americans' I guess if they live here.

I guess it is just a NYC thing to be, less patient and more stressed out.
People in NYC are known to be impatient. They want it and they want it now. I lived in NJ for almost 20 years and I can't say I experienced impatience...apart from my own.

If you don't like the heat...get out of the fire...or don't shop in Korean stores.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
People in NYC are known to be impatient. They want it and they want it now. I lived in NJ for almost 20 years and I can't say I experienced impatience...apart from my own.

If you don't like the heat...get out of the fire...or don't shop in Korean stores.
Have you ever drove across the GW Bridge? Or through the Lincoln Tunnel? It is pretty aggressive and there is plenty of impatience. It's best to have noise cancelling headphones for the subway and bus too (to drown out the noise from both unruly passengers and traffic/honking)

I guess staying in Western or Central NJ and not visiting Manhattan too often, that is a pretty chilled out lifestyle.

Unfortunately I have to commute to NYC everyday, at least for now.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 4:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever drove across the GW Bridge? Or through the Lincoln Tunnel? It is pretty aggressive and there is plenty of impatience. It's best to have noise cancelling headphones for the subway and bus too (to drown out the noise from both unruly passengers and traffic/honking)

I guess staying in Western or Central NJ and not visiting Manhattan too often, that is a pretty chilled out lifestyle.

Unfortunately I have to commute to NYC everyday, at least for now.
Are you kidding me...of course we did.

You seem to have overlooked the bit in my post where I stated it was a well know fact that New Yorkers are known for their impatience.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 12th 2017 at 4:51 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 5:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you kidding me...of course we did.

You seem to have overlooked the bit in my post where I stated it was a well know fact that New Yorkers are known for their impatience.
Am I going to have to get my lawyers to send you a threatening letter for infringing my trademark?
Old Sep 12th 2017, 5:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Am I going to have to get my lawyers to send you a threatening letter for infringing my trademark?