Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are American less patient than Brits?

Are American less patient than Brits?

Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are American less patient than Brits?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No. Your sample is very small and highly localized.

You wouldn't expect London to be the same as Harrogate, Penzance, or Inverness, and your experience, presumably in one town in NJ is not necessarily typical of a country of 325million people.

Maybe where you live, but where I live I am probably guilty of a couple of those things as viewed from the perspective of the locals here (car horns are rarely heard here, "passing" in a car is almost unheard of). . If transplants from NJ and NY who come down here don't adjust pretty quickly then they are rightly branded as "obnoxious yankees".
Yeah, this is a giant country. It contains multitudes.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755

7. Not giving way to even elderly people at crosswalks
8. When you stop at a ped crossing for an elderly person the car behind tries to "go around" almost hitting said pedestrian and honks out of impatience

Does anybody else experience this? It London the same ? Wondering if I can even get used to this or will I have to move out into the sticks to get away from it :P
This was particularly bad where we lived in Texas. Twice in 2015 we were nearly hit crossing at an active school zone by impatient moms after dropping their kids. In both cases it was a 4 lane boulevard with a refuge in the median and a car had stopped to let us cross but while we were crossing they were overtaken by another vehicle that had just dropped off a kid at the High School.

I was nearly hit as a pedestrian the first week I spent in the USA. I was on business in Augusta, Georgia, and we were downtown, walking along the sidewalk after eating lunch, and I stopped at a cross street and pushed the button. When the lights changed and the sign changed to "Walk" I stepped out and was immediately dragged back by my US host and I just missed a car that was turning right from behind me. My host explained that although it is legal to turn on red, the driver is supposed to come to a stop first and then give way to any pedestrians, but few drivers in that town actually followed that law.

Other US cities we have lived or stayed in were exactly the opposite. As soon as we were near to the kerb thinking about crossing, the cars would come to a halt.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Other US cities we have lived or stayed in were exactly the opposite. As soon as we were near to the kerb thinking about crossing, the cars would come to a halt.
Nothing like that in GA, as you discovered. Glad your US host saved you.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
This was particularly bad where we lived in Texas. Twice in 2015 we were nearly hit crossing at an active school zone by impatient moms after dropping their kids. In both cases it was a 4 lane boulevard with a refuge in the median and a car had stopped to let us cross but while we were crossing they were overtaken by another vehicle that had just dropped off a kid at the High School.

I was nearly hit as a pedestrian the first week I spent in the USA. I was on business in Augusta, Georgia, and we were downtown, walking along the sidewalk after eating lunch, and I stopped at a cross street and pushed the button. When the lights changed and the sign changed to "Walk" I stepped out and was immediately dragged back by my US host and I just missed a car that was turning right from behind me. My host explained that although it is legal to turn on red, the driver is supposed to come to a stop first and then give way to any pedestrians, but few drivers in that town actually followed that law.

We were in St. Johnsbury, VT (medium sized former factory town in northern Vermont, now practically dead on its feet) last week, walking around town. Every time we got within twenty feet of a crosswalk, all the traffic stopped to let us cross. Several times we crossed the street when we had no intention of doing so, so as not to disappoint the drivers.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
We were in St. Johnsbury, VT (medium sized former factory town in northern Vermont, now practically dead on its feet) last week, walking around town. Every time we got within twenty feet of a crosswalk, all the traffic stopped to let us cross. Several times we crossed the street when we had no intention of doing so, so as not to disappoint the drivers.
That sounds like lawsuit avoidance, doesn't it

Pedestrian right-of-way laws can also help, but in the bigger cities it's basically a free for all when it comes to the roads. A case of **** or be ****ed, essentially.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed this, starkly so in the 4 weeks I've been here.
However, I think I could cope with impatience better than the complete inability to say "excuse me".
I mean, how hard is it???
Old Sep 1st 2017, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RollingStones
I've noticed this, starkly so in the 4 weeks I've been here.
However, I think I could cope with impatience better than the complete inability to say "excuse me".
I mean, how hard is it???
Where are you living right now in the USA. I've found that American's in the mid-west say excuse me politely when passing you, even if they are 6 feet away from you in a supermarket aisle
Old Sep 1st 2017, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Just a few observations, currently living in NJ very close to NYC.

1. Getting in elevators, normally Brits wait for people to get out before attempting to enter right?
2. Letting person in adjacent bus seat get off first
3. Waiting until its safe to pass
4. Personal space, people walking way too close unnecessarily
5. People grabbing items in the supermarket that you were obviously about to grab
6. People attempting to cut the line
7. Not giving way to even elderly people at crosswalks
8. When you stop at a ped crossing for an elderly person the car behind tries to "go around" almost hitting said pedestrian and honks out of impatience

Does anybody else experience this? It London the same ? Wondering if I can even get used to this or will I have to move out into the sticks to get away from it :P
Guess it depends what part of the country you are in. Two years ago a Colombian I know visited the Midwest region I was in for three months. I asked what difference he noticed compared to his country :

1. Less theft.
2. People seemed more trusting.
3. People more honest in their comments.
4. Rules were followed, especially driving.
5. People stood in line.
6. Less time to enjoy life.
7. Harder life for the elderly in terms of time spent by family members taking care of,BUT they were out and about more whether driving or on scooters.
8. He couldn't believe that cars would actually stop for pedestrians.

One thing jumped out to him was idea of store having a "lost and found", and people actually turning things into lost and found instead of just taking.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you living right now in the USA. I've found that American's in the mid-west say excuse me politely when passing you, even if they are 6 feet away from you in a supermarket aisle
My wife reciprocates the use of pardon me and excuse me in this type of situation. I would say excuse me to get past someone, she would say pardon me.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 4:53 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
My wife reciprocates the use of pardon me and excuse me in this type of situation. I would say excuse me to get past someone, she would say pardon me.
Wait, does that mean "**** out of my way, arse face" is not the acceptable thing to say?
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Wait, does that mean "**** out of my way, arse face" is not the acceptable thing to say?
It's just less words, either option can be used.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just less words, either option can be used.
I always thought that the correct etiquette was to just elbow your way past them.

I was not aware that it was necessary to say anything ...
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

badgb21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like city life all over the world.
My experience of the 'burbs' in MA is people are miles friendlier than in central UK.
Just my findings!
Old Sep 5th 2017, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Chicago and find people amazingly polite even downtown (city center). But I've heard the American Midwest is friendlier than other parts of the country.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Usually my wife says "excuse us" speaking for the both of us.

But yeah, on the whole with my limited experience of UK and US cultures, people have been more friendly here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.