Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Originally Posted by Jkuk
Please feel free to tell me where they are flawed as I am interested where your information differs to mine.

Having researched on more web sites then I care to number I am interested where your information differs.
Healthcare - Researched and expensive we know.
Cost of heating/cooling - Hopefully with Florida it would be more cooling.
Buying a house - Looked for the last two years at areas like Kissimmee and surrounding areas but like any outsider worried that may still move into a non suitable area so was thinking rent first to get a feel of the area while on the ground.
Crime - Crime rate is low in Kissimmee especially around the Poinciana area.
Politics - No idea don't do it in the UK and I am sure its just as bad in the USA
Finding employment - toughest one as need help on obtaining the right visa to obtain a social security number to be able to work.
Affording education etc etc... - again looked at schools and colleagues and spoken to some but they said its hard to give a firm answer if I do not know when I am going.
And the forums on WTF in America, and Pet Peeves...
Healthcare, there's a couple of threads on the changes policies are going through as well as lack or hassle of coverage. There's more to it than just cost and really, it's massive. The wiki here gives you a lot of info.

Heating/cooling, it's massive and there are threads here saying people are spending $400-1000 a month, it all depends on the size of the gaff, quality of build, all kinds of factors.

Buying a house is much more expensive here and there are loads of small print details to get you out. At least you realise it's a better idea to rent a while.

Crime rates are all a bit rubbish as crime, violent crime at least is very localised and those in the area can give you a better idea.

Politics, this does affect you. It's about whether people can open carry a gun, have one concealed or even who can own one. It's whether you can have an abortion or not, if you can get treatment for certain things, what your taxes get spent on. It's frankly, a much bigger issue here, along with religion and outside of getting a good job with benefits, a large factor on whether one finds it easy to settle in or not.

Employment, well this is a no goer, you need someone to sponsor you, or you invest in a business. Plenty of threads on people struggling to find work.

Education, depending on how your kids go through school, doing AP or not, whether they chose to go community college, go study in state or now, private or not, you can be looking at $20-100K a year for university, going on for at least 4 years.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me the UK is not a bed of roses and is getting worse year on year.
I love the UK. Especially the Scottish part.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:15 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
And what 'bed of roses' will you find in Orlando?
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...-Lu-SCvgkZiHyQ
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jkuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I love the UK. Especially the Scottish part.
From your Avatar I guess your from Scotland otherwise you would not say that and I would say you have not done your research.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Jkuk

In all those posts the only thing you've mentioned that would enable you to move for a period, not necessarily permanently, is the business idea.

You may like to concentrate on that.

It's very risky though and could affect your family very negatively.

Is it worth risking your assets to do this, maybe losing them?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Healthcare, there's a couple of threads on the changes policies are going through as well as lack or hassle of coverage. There's more to it than just cost and really, it's massive. The wiki here gives you a lot of info.

Heating/cooling, it's massive and there are threads here saying people are spending $400-1000 a month, it all depends on the size of the gaff, quality of build, all kinds of factors.

Buying a house is much more expensive here and there are loads of small print details to get you out. At least you realise it's a better idea to rent a while.

Crime rates are all a bit rubbish as crime, violent crime at least is very localised and those in the area can give you a better idea.

Politics, this does affect you. It's about whether people can open carry a gun, have one concealed or even who can own one. It's whether you can have an abortion or not, if you can get treatment for certain things, what your taxes get spent on. It's frankly, a much bigger issue here, along with religion and outside of getting a good job with benefits, a large factor on whether one finds it easy to settle in or not.

Employment, well this is a no goer, you need someone to sponsor you, or you invest in a business. Plenty of threads on people struggling to find work.

Education, depending on how your kids go through school, doing AP or not, whether they chose to go community college, go study in state or now, private or not, you can be looking at $20-100K a year for university, going on for at least 4 years.
All of which I know, and researched and looked time and time again and regally look at anything new to happen.

Not saying I am an expert on it all but I do at least try.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Look I am not saying I am not grateful I am but I would love some direction on what others have taken to see if that's possible.
You are not going to like this but:-

I know quite a few people who have moved from UK to US, and all of them it was either as a result of marriage or a transfer through work. By far the largest contingent (me included) have been people who were employed in the UK by a multinational company, and a normal career progression led them to the other side of the Atlantic. I know a couple of people who got themselves hired directly in the US, but both of those came about through professional networking (Eg having previously worked with the hiring manager).

Trust me the UK is not a bed of roses and is getting worse year on year.
I'm about the same age as you (41). I have lived and worked in both countries, I've been back in the UK for 8 years and I honestly don't know whether I prefer life in the UK or the US. They both have their advantages and disadvantages which pretty much even out. I know I certainly wouldn't be prepared to make any kind of major sacrifice to get to the other side of the pond - which I think is why so many people are questioning your motives.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Very good lol
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
E2 and your stay in the US ends if a renewal gets rejected, the business doesn't employ enough people, goes under, you retire. All kinds of reasons, which is why it's temporary. It doesn't lead to a greencard, so you can't just bugger off and job hunt and stick around if the business doesn't work out.
And most importantly for the OP, the kids age out at 21 and have to leave.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fozzyb
You are not going to like this but:-

I know quite a few people who have moved from UK to US, and all of them it was either as a result of marriage or a transfer through work. By far the largest contingent (me included) have been people who were employed in the UK by a multinational company, and a normal career progression led them to the other side of the Atlantic. I know a couple of people who got themselves hired directly in the US, but both of those came about through professional networking (Eg having previously worked with the hiring manager).

I'm about the same age as you (41). I have lived and worked in both countries, I've been back in the UK for 8 years and I honestly don't know whether I prefer life in the UK or the US. They both have their advantages and disadvantages which pretty much even out. I know I certainly wouldn't be prepared to make any kind of major sacrifice to get to the other side of the pond - which I think is why so many people are questioning your motives.
Thank you for your reply, the advantage and disadvantage is what were thinking, what you get here you don't get there and vice versa.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
And most importantly for the OP, the kids age out at 21 and have to leave.
Would they have to leave or could they be employed by the company also?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

E2 visa is a non immigrant investor visa, so it is the visa you would apply for if buying a business or doing a start up business.
Our E2 visa is 100% in my name with my spouse as a dependent.
This does mean he has been able to apply for an employment authorization document (EAD) which enables him to work outside of my business. If he wanted to he could find a job and it could ultimately lead to a company sponsoring him and therefore could lead to a green card. We have not chosen that route and we work together in the business.

The issue of children aging out has happened to us as our daughter was 11 when we first arrived in the USA. At 21 when she was no longer eligible to be on the E2 visa we applied and was successful in getting her a F1 student visa so there are ways around aging out.

I just wanted to say it is not all negative and if you really want to make the move there are options out there.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:28 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

They have to leave the country, unless they are in continuing higher education, in which case they can obtain a visa to cover them until the conclusion of the course.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

or hope he finds an American wife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.