Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Jkuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Look I am not saying I am not grateful I am but I would love some direction on what others have taken to see if that's possible.

If it does not work out at least I can come back on here and say you all told me so.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jkuk
If I told you how many time I travel to America and how long we have stayed it would make no difference as your opinion is yours and mine would be mine.
Nope. Wouldn't make a difference.

A holiday is still a holiday.

You're not dealing with the daily grind.

It's basically the same shit in a different bucket.

Crap that gets you down doesn't change by being over here, it's just got a different slant to it.

Life can be great here, but it's less fun if you haven't got stacks of money and a solid job with the benefits. It's much less fun if you're stuck in a grind, unable to afford to take advantage of the weather or whatever else you get up to on holiday.

Take what you will because clearly, you've already made up your mind to not take on any advice, but folks do know what they're talking about. That's not to say do go and try it, at the end of the day, what do we care, but have a plan and/or get on with life.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Nope. Wouldn't make a difference.

A holiday is still a holiday.

You're not dealing with the daily grind.

It's basically the same shit in a different bucket.

Crap that gets you down doesn't change by being over here, it's just got a different slant to it.

Life can be great here, but it's less fun if you haven't got stacks of money and a solid job with the benefits. It's much less fun if you're stuck in a grind, unable to afford to take advantage of the weather or whatever else you get up to on holiday.

Take what you will because clearly, you've already made up your mind to not take on any advice, but folks do know what they're talking about. That's not to say do go and try it, at the end of the day, what do we care, but have a plan and/or get on with life.
Thanks and agree but sometimes to get out of that shitty bucket you need a change.

If you have to start at the bottom and work up to get that change then I am not scared of that.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:54 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I have no clear path as I need assistance in what paths are available, that's why I thought I would ask here, did not think it would end up a lecture on what I know, do not know and what I should do.

If I told you how many time I travel to America and how long we have stayed it would make no difference as your opinion is yours and mine would be mine.

I was hoping for advice and some pointers.

I am sure every single person who moves to America has someone telling them not to do it, I could tell every single one of you do not move back to the UK and give you reasons why but would that stop you.

As said no offense but I was looking for some help and assistance not reasons on why I should not do it.

Thanks all for your replies.
I'd never tell anyone not to do it, if they have the option to do so. However, when people are talking about giving in a fairly good lifestyle to start again in a career that they don't have any experience in, and might not enjoy. Lose a lot of their life savings, cause a ton of upheaval for their kids at a crucial exam time, and to put themselves through the strains and stresses of getting visas and greencards, on what appears to be a few nice vacations, then yes I'm going to ask what the motivation is.

I could tell you that I'd done a ton of research before we moved here, but bloody hell I was still a million miles from reality.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'd never tell anyone not to do it, if they have the option to do so. However, when people are talking about giving in a fairly good lifestyle to start again in a career that they don't have any experience in, and might not enjoy. Lose a lot of their life savings, cause a ton of upheaval for their kids at a crucial exam time, and to put themselves through the strains and stresses of getting visas and greencards, on what appears to be a few nice vacations, then yes I'm going to ask what the motivation is.

I could tell you that I'd done a ton of research before we moved here, but bloody hell I was still a million miles from reality.
If I could I would love to stay in the same career but when I have contacted many companies in my line of work they all say get the visa and social security number and call us back, they don't seem to want to go through the hassle of sorting the visa application as many say its a ball ache.

I was hoping to get the visa ect and then approach them, if by then the position is not available then I would be happy to do anything.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As for the greencard, how long is temporarily?
E2 and your stay in the US ends if a renewal gets rejected, the business doesn't employ enough people, goes under, you retire. All kinds of reasons, which is why it's temporary. It doesn't lead to a greencard, so you can't just bugger off and job hunt and stick around if the business doesn't work out.

As for the points of research above, your answers are unfortunately showing why the research of flawed and doesn't come from practical experience.

There are threads on a lot/all those topics and they would be worth a read to get an idea of how realistically they would affect you.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
E2 and your stay in the US ends if a renewal gets rejected, the business doesn't employ enough people, goes under, you retire. All kinds of reasons, which is why it's temporary. It doesn't lead to a greencard, so you can't just bugger off and job hunt and stick around if the business doesn't work out.

As for the points of research above, your answers are unfortunately showing why the research of flawed and doesn't come from practical experience.

There are threads on a lot/all those topics and they would be worth a read to get an idea of how realistically they would affect you.
Please feel free to tell me where they are flawed as I am interested where your information differs to mine.

Having researched on more web sites then I care to number I am interested where your information differs.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Thanks and agree but sometimes to get out of that shitty bucket you need a change.

If you have to start at the bottom and work up to get that change then I am not scared of that.
If you want a change, the world is your oyster and you have a lot of options....including moving across the UK.

You don't want to be at the bottom in the US. It is so much worse being broke and trying to scrimp here, it really is.

Why move half way around the world to be in a shit state? Especially if you've got the cash to lose.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
If you want a change, the world is your oyster and you have a lot of options....including moving across the UK.

You don't want to be at the bottom in the US. It is so much worse being broke and trying to scrimp here, it really is.

Why move half way around the world to be in a shit state? Especially if you've got the cash to lose.
Because as I have said, life in the UK is not a bed of roses and were meant to be in the statistically better area of the country, if you want to believe that rubbish.

Trust me the UK is not a bed of roses and is getting worse year on year.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:05 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

If I could I would love to stay in the same career but when I have contacted many companies in my line of work they all say get the visa and social security number and call us back, they don't seem to want to go through the hassle of sorting the visa application as many say its a ball ache.

I was hoping to get the visa ect and then approach them, if by then the position is not available then I would be happy to do anything.
This simply isn't possible though. You can't get a visa without a job, and you've stated no-one will give you a job without a visa.

And you can't start at the bottom and work your way up, because you can't get a job without a visa, and no-one is going to sponsor you for a visa for an entry position in any line of work.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on.

You want to come over in 18 months' time to chaperone your son. That timescale isn't going to work anyway.

You can't 'start at the bottom' because you have to be qualified to get a visa, or stump up the money.

I'm not at all clear on your background anyway. Your own communications company, firefighting, aviation?

Then your main motivation seems to be a vague dissatisfaction with Britain which no doubt glosses over the many difficulties if life in the US.

People are trying to do you a favour if you could understand that. They cannot make a route appear where none exists.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
This simply isn't possible though. You can't get a visa without a job, and you've stated no-one will give you a job without a visa.

And you can't start at the bottom and work your way up, because you can't get a job without a visa, and no-one is going to sponsor you for a visa for an entry position in any line of work.
So what options do I have, start a business, buy into a business, is there any options?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Because as I have said, life in the UK is not a bed of roses and were meant to be in the statistically better area of the country, if you want to believe that rubbish.

Trust me the UK is not a bed of roses and is getting worse year on year.
And what 'bed of roses' will you find in Orlando?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
And what 'bed of roses' will you find in Orlando?
Sorry Oranges
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And you're too old to re-train for a different career, start at the bottom, and work your way up.

We're not trying to be negative, just realistic based on the body of real world experience on this site.

If you were in software, 25 years old, a degree and a Masters, working for Microsoft or Adobe in their UK offices, single....then in many respects the US would be your oyster.

If, even with a family, you had 15 years in oil/gas, worked for BP, rig and managerial experience....then easy street.

If you had degrees in electronics, auto design, power generation, hydrology, finance...high chances of a successful move because these things are in demand..

But....

(And even 80% of new businesses fail)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.