Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Originally Posted by Jkuk
Can I ask why you feel this?
Members here are very experienced in dealing with those who express a desire to move. We very rapidly get a feeling as to whether it's a high possibility or a non-starter.

The US is one of the hardest countries in the world to move to permanently and usually there has to be a compelling qualification/level of experience/niche skill in order to do so.

And at your age you're almost on the metaphorical scrap heap, same as me at 50 odd, so retraining wouldn't be of much use.

This is not a reflection on you by any means...just the difficulty of becoming a permanent resident. Honest and realistic.

(Me, I've had enough of it, through hard work I've been successful, I live in California, but can't wait to move home after 15 years with everything the UK and Europe has to offer.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Oct 22nd 2014 at 9:27 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jkuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fozzyb
I know its a hard question to answer, but what is it about Florida that you have set your heart on?

If its just the warmer climate, golf etc, could you not get a comparable lifestyle in Spain, or Italy, south coast of France - without all the visa issues? Or is there something specific to Florida that is pulling you there?
Work life for my children is the draw to America and we like the life style ect, many may think were mad but the UK is not as great as some think.

One of my children's work plans is better suited to America then the UK due to the direction the US is taking.

Europe would not benefit us as a family long term, from a distance I guess if you live in America you think you must ne mad coming here and the same is for us in Europe, there is nothing that appeals or would work for us.

We like the lifestyle of America and having been there many times and done a lot of research over the last five years about cost of living, ect ect we know this side.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Lifestyle? Thought you hadn't lived here?

Your children might make it over with a long term plan, appropriate degree, international transfer etc..
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Members here are very experienced in dealing with those who express a desire to move. We very rapidly get a feeling as to whether it's a high possibility or a non-starter.

The US is one of the hardest countries in the world to move to permanently and usually there has to be a compelling qualification/level of experience/niche skill in order to do so.

And at your age you're almost on the metaphorical scrap heap, same as me at 50 odd, so retraining wouldn't be of much use.

This is not a reflection on you by any means...just the difficulty of becoming a permanent resident. Honest and realistic.

(Me, I've had enough of it, through hard work I've been successful, I live in California, but can't wait to move home after 15 years with everything the UK and Europe has to offer.)
Thank you for your response, now if I sat here ant told you ten reasons why I don't think coming back to the UK is a good idea would you stay were you are.

Like me you have life plans and sometimes from the outset it does not look so great but unless you try you will always have that what if in the back of your mind.

What if I moved, what if it worked.

Not saying the advice is not welcome as it is but were looking at advice on how to move to the USA and directions not reasons why we should not move to the USA.

No offense to anyone here.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Lifestyle? Thought you hadn't lived here?

Your children might make it over with a long term plan, appropriate degree, international transfer etc..
not living there does not mean you don't have an idea of lifestyle?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Work life for my children is the draw to America and we like the life style ect, many may think were mad but the UK is not as great as some think.

One of my children's work plans is better suited to America then the UK due to the direction the US is taking.

Europe would not benefit us as a family long term, from a distance I guess if you live in America you think you must ne mad coming here and the same is for us in Europe, there is nothing that appeals or would work for us.

We like the lifestyle of America and having been there many times and done a lot of research over the last five years about cost of living, ect ect we know this side.
Work life for your children is better? How can you even know if this is true or not. They haven't worked in either country, and you've not worked in the US. What are you basing this opinion on?

The US isn't as great as some people think either. However, most of us on this site have experience of living in both countries, where as you have experience of living in one and vacationing in another. The two things are totally different.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes but I travel back and forth a lot and I know I prefer UK/Europe.

Look, people are just trying to be diplomatic. You have the goal, the dream, but you have no clear path to come here. That's all.

Plan B.

No offense intended.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
Work life for your children is better? How can you even know if this is true or not. They haven't worked in either country, and you've not worked in the US. What are you basing this opinion on?

The US isn't as great as some people think either. However, most of us on this site have experience of living in both countries, where as you have experience of living in one and vacationing in another. The two things are totally different.
Agree and thanks. on the second point.

The first point I know as for my son, due to his education and work direction he is currently being monitored by an origination in the USA and will potentially need to live in the USA in the next 18 months, something we do not want our young child to be doing on his own without having parents on hand.

No matter what I say its going to be wrong so I am going to duck out here,
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but it doesn't give you a path to permanent residence as far as I know...

10 reasons to quit the U.S. for Europe
Also with the kids being the ages that they are, they'll be ageing out soon and would need to get a visa in their own right...plus thoughts on expense of uni if they want to go to uni comes into play.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:39 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Agree and thanks. on the second point.

The first point I know as for my son, due to his education and work direction he is currently being monitored by an origination in the USA and will potentially need to live in the USA in the next 18 months, something we do not want our young child to be doing on his own without having parents on hand.

There is no right or wrong, it's just a discussion, that's the point of a forum.

I've been here 7 years, and I've still no idea if it's right or wrong. But one thing I know for sure is, it's not at all what I imagined.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

not living there does not mean you don't have an idea of lifestyle?
Yup, that's actually fairly true.

You should read the posts by those here who are residents concerning things like

Healthcare
Cost of heating/cooling
Buying a house
Crime
Politics
Finding employment.
Affording education etc etc...
And the forums on WTF in America, and Pet Peeves...

My point being that these all affect the lifestyle but it takes time to understand them.

And what of the lifestyle if you get laid off a month after finding a job, or your employer wants to transfer you, or you develop a need for expensive health care and there's no social safety net....

Last edited by Hotscot; Oct 22nd 2014 at 9:43 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Yes but I travel back and forth a lot and I know I prefer UK/Europe.

Look, people are just trying to be diplomatic. You have the goal, the dream, but you have no clear path to come here. That's all.

Plan B.

No offense intended.
I have no clear path as I need assistance in what paths are available, that's why I thought I would ask here, did not think it would end up a lecture on what I know, do not know and what I should do.

If I told you how many time I travel to America and how long we have stayed it would make no difference as your opinion is yours and mine would be mine.

I was hoping for advice and some pointers.

I am sure every single person who moves to America has someone telling them not to do it, I could tell every single one of you do not move back to the UK and give you reasons why but would that stop you.

As said no offense but I was looking for some help and assistance not reasons on why I should not do it.

Thanks all for your replies.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well you asked for options and opinions and you got them, even if you didn't like the answers.

Basically it boils down to you chucking all that dosh and buying a greencard or chucking a smaller sum and getting here temporarily, with no clear path to greencard and having to return if a visa renewal doesn't work, the business folds, not able to employ enough people, or any other reason that makes the E2 not necessarily a great visa for families once they hit an age where people begin to plan retirement.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Yup, that's actually fairly true.

You should read the posts by those here who are residents concerning things like

Healthcare
Cost of heating/cooling
Buying a house
Crime
Politics
Finding employment.
Affording education etc etc...

My point being that these all affect the lifestyle but it takes time to understand them.
Healthcare - Researched and expensive we know.
Cost of heating/cooling - Hopefully with Florida it would be more cooling.
Buying a house - Looked for the last two years at areas like Kissimmee and surrounding areas but like any outsider worried that may still move into a non suitable area so was thinking rent first to get a feel of the area while on the ground.
Crime - Crime rate is low in Kissimmee especially around the Poinciana area.
Politics - No idea don't do it in the UK and I am sure its just as bad in the USA
Finding employment - toughest one as need help on obtaining the right visa to obtain a social security number to be able to work.
Affording education etc etc... - again looked at schools and colleagues and spoken to some but they said its hard to give a firm answer if I do not know when I am going.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Well you asked for options and opinions and you got them, even if you didn't like the answers.

Basically it boils down to you chucking all that dosh and buying a greencard or chucking a smaller sum and getting here temporarily, with no clear path to greencard and having to return if a visa renewal doesn't work, the business folds, not able to employ enough people, or any other reason that makes the E2 not necessarily a great visa for families once they hit an age where people begin to plan retirement.
Was looking for advice not reasons why I should not move there.

As for the greencard, how long is temporarily?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.