Reload this Page >

Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jkuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am i Too Old To Re-Train

Guys,

Have been trying to get myself and my family into Florida and despite best efforts, nothing at present has changed over the last two years of trying.

So my question,

At 44 years old am I really too old to retrain for a job that is in high demand in the Florida area.

My wife is 48 and our two children are 17 and 15.

If I am not what could I do in a short time that would be in demand.

Thanks guys.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i Too Old To Re-Train

It's not about which jobs are in demand but how you are going to get a visa.

You were previously looking at L1 with your company; did anything come of that?

You did mention having 500,000 in cash, if you don't want to buy green cards (and I don't blame you) could you not just put that towards nice holidays on Orlando?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 7:44 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jkuk
Guys,

Have been trying to get myself and my family into Florida and despite best efforts, nothing at present has changed over the last two years of trying.

So my question,

At 44 years old am I really too old to retrain for a job that is in high demand in the Florida area.

My wife is 48 and our two children are 17 and 15.

If I am not what could I do in a short time that would be in demand.

Thanks guys.
I personally think you'd be crazy to turn your lives upside down to make a move happen.

Even if there are jobs that are high in demand in the Florida area, you would need to

a) have someone willing to offer you a job, which is unlikely given that by the time you've retrained to degree level, you're going to be in your late 40s with no experience in the field.

b) that company is then going to have to be willing to sponsor you, which again is unlikely due to the cost

c) you'd still have to meet the visa requirements (4 year degree or 12 years experience)

Your kids are already at an awkward age for a move.

I'm with Sally, put the money you've saved to some great holidays in Florida.

Sorry to be blunt.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
a) have someone willing to offer you a job, which is unlikely given that by the time you've retrained to degree level, you're going to be in your late 40s with no experience in the field.
This is the key point. There is nothing stopping you retraining but nobody is likely to even look at your resume without years of relevant experience.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Make the most of Europe and have visits not only to Florida but elsewhere in the US or indeed the World?

Really nothing special about the Florida area to stress your life over.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's not about which jobs are in demand but how you are going to get a visa.

You were previously looking at L1 with your company; did anything come of that?

You did mention having 500,000 in cash, if you don't want to buy green cards (and I don't blame you) could you not just put that towards nice holidays on Orlando?
I just cant give that sort of money away, it would be all my life savings gone.

I did look at the L1 but the issue is having two companies one in the UK and one in America, it just would not work easily, we have been trying to resolve for two years and not got far.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Make the most of Europe and have visits not only to Florida but elsewhere in the US or indeed the World?

Really nothing special about the Florida area to stress your life over.
We have well travelled and been to a few places in America, not every where agreed but it always comes back to Florida.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
I personally think you'd be crazy to turn your lives upside down to make a move happen.

Even if there are jobs that are high in demand in the Florida area, you would need to

b) that company is then going to have to be willing to sponsor you, which again is unlikely due to the cost

c) you'd still have to meet the visa requirements (4 year degree or 12 years experience)

Your kids are already at an awkward age for a move.

I'm with Sally, put the money you've saved to some great holidays in Florida.

Sorry to be blunt.
Thanks for the reply, I guess having 20 years experience in aviation would be my best look at moving.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

What's the rules does anyone know on buying a company that is up for sale, can you buy something and move that way easily?

Or me to buy into an existing aviation company and part own?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but it doesn't give you a path to permanent residence as far as I know...

10 reasons to quit the U.S. for Europe
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply, I guess having 20 years experience in aviation would be my best look at moving.
Honestly, you're on a hiding to nothing.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Yes but it doesn't give you a path to permanent residence as far as I know...

10 reasons to quit the U.S. for Europe
Don't agree with all 10 to be honest.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Honestly, you're on a hiding to nothing.
Can I ask why you feel this?
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can I ask why you feel this?
You've been looking at options for two years and nothing fits.

Retraining in what?

What are your kids going to do over there?

Orlando is a holiday destination, no evidence you have really thought about what day-to-day life there will be like.

Not wishing to be cruel, but you need a reality check.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

I know its a hard question to answer, but what is it about Florida that you have set your heart on?

If its just the warmer climate, golf etc, could you not get a comparable lifestyle in Spain, or Italy, south coast of France - without all the visa issues? Or is there something specific to Florida that is pulling you there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.