Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Agressive phone shark

Agressive phone shark

Old Feb 27th 2015, 11:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agressive phone shark

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I'm currently being plagued by daily calls from a debt collection agency looking for a woman with a completely different name from me. I keep blocking the number, but they change it every couple of weeks.

I've had my mobile number for nearly 20 years, so it's either a scam or a wrong number. I would have thought if you're in official debt collecting business, written correspondence would be more effective than the harassment aimed at this woman.

The main kicker for me is that the company (which is real) is based in the same town as my elderly Mother in law, so I jump every time they change their number in case there is a problem with her.
Write the company in writing telling them the person they are looking for is not at that number and you have no idea who they are and to cease all phone calls to you regarding it or you will report them to the State Attorney and Federal Trade Commission.

Send it certified mail with return receipt.

This will almost always get them to stop calling.

I was getting daily calls once from one looking for a Lucy, they kept calling and calling, so I sent the letter demanding they stop and threatening legal action, and never got another call from them again.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have been known to do similar, but since we dropped our landline and went to Vonage we seem to have dropped off the radar of the fraudsters and the politicians. .... So a win-win really.
We have been with Vonage for over 10 years now and sadly get bombarded with scam, debt collectors and politicians. Give it some time and I'm sure it will be the same for you

On a good note Vonage has now finally enabled call blocking, albeit via their mobile extensions app.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Write the company in writing telling them the person they are looking for is not at that number and you have no idea who they are and to cease all phone calls to you regarding it or you will report them to the State Attorney and Federal Trade Commission.

Send it certified mail with return receipt.

This will almost always get them to stop calling.

I was getting daily calls once from one looking for a Lucy, they kept calling and calling, so I sent the letter demanding they stop and threatening legal action, and never got another call from them again.
Well, I'm in the UK so I'd have to contact the UK equivalents. However, if I did contact them I'd be giving them both my name and address, neither of which they have at the moment! So I'm just sucking up the daily inconvenience of clearing out voicemail messages for Mrs Victoria Harrington. Hope she gets it sorted soon.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:41 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I just get the fog horn and blow it down the receiver at these ****ers.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a landline, so almost never get sales calls. The exception was for about a year after we bought a house; having used my cell as the contact phone number, I got all sorts of calls then. But mostly they were reputable companies who'd bought my contact details, and did apologize for calling my cell when I explained, and stopped calling.

If I buy a house again, though, I shall first set up a burnable temporary phone number through Google.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 12:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
...... mostly they were reputable companies who'd bought my contact details, and did apologize for calling my cell when I explained, and stopped calling. ......
They apologized because, bizarrely, marketing calls are (were?) not permitted to cell phones even if you're an existing customer. ..... I received a call to my cell phone from Lands' End, shortly after making a purchase, and the associate was most apologetic when I mentioned in passing that I was on my cell phone. She explained that marketing calls were not allowed to cell phones.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They apologized because, bizarrely, marketing calls are (were?) not permitted to cell phones even if you're an existing customer. ..... I received a call to my cell phone from Lands' End, shortly after making a purchase, and the associate was most apologetic when I mentioned in passing that I was on my cell phone. She explained that marketing calls were not allowed to cell phones.
Yes, I imagine it dates from the time when people were paying to both send and receive calls. They were perfectly nice and polite about it, and each company only called once, by genuine error.

The only ongoing annoyance is a solar panel company, who are a bunch of number-switching sharks. Each time they call me, they start with 'Hello, my name is <name>, how are you?', delivered in a soul dead voice, and then I know to just cut off the call and add the number to my Do Not Answer contact.