Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice please - Moving to US from UK.

Advice please - Moving to US from UK.

Old May 4th 2010, 12:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please - Moving to US from UK.

Originally Posted by Antse7en

Roughly (excluding flights and rent) how much money would you suggest I look to take with me for the period of a month, taking into account food, travel expenses, any utilities etc.
If you've a credit card, use that...you'll probably go through a couple of grand on renting a car and food.

Rent, as you've got no US credit history presumably, you might have to put down more than a months rent, can be first and last, plus anything from one to three months in deposit and more if you've got pets.

You haven't said how old you are, but I'd not discount the whole SS thing, nor filing US taxes with the IRS, might be little problem with not doing it, but not knowing about it is not an excuse and it's easier to sort out now while the US embassy in London is good about this than at a later date.
Old May 4th 2010, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not particularly worried about the tax issue just yet, as I don't see why I would owe any - but I have sent the email regardless and I'll see what comes back.
I am intrigued to know if you still aren't particularly worried about the tax issue once you've seen some IRS forms
Old May 4th 2010, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi first of all I hope I'm posting in the correct area, and if not apologies in advance!

I currently live in London and wish to make the move to the US.

I was originally born in Florida keys but moved to the UK at a very early age with distant relatives. I hold both a British and American passport, so visa applications, green cards etc aren't necessary in my case.

The advice I'm looking for is more along the lines of the process to making the move, general living costs, finding an apartment, what I'd need to do once I'm there to be able to apply for work etc, pretty much all requirements you can think of to be honest.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has made the move, and what they've had to do from that point up to now, but appreciate any information/advice you may be able to offer...

Thanks!

Anthony

FYI: Ideally (though not strictly) I'd like to move to some part of Florida and aim to do so within the remainder of 2010.
Hi & welcome, we live in South Fl.

Hope you are aware, that we have high unemployment & that we have no NHS, FOC healthcare.
Can I ask, are you coming alone?
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not particularly worried about the tax issue just yet, as I don't see why I would owe any...
It's unlikely that you owe anything... but the obligation is to file, regardless. It's the law - whether you were aware or not.

Same with the SS really, it's something I have no problem doing if required, but I doubt it will be much of an issue as I wasn't aware.
I agree it probably won't be much of an issue. That said, your ignorance doesn't excuse you.

I have only my US Passport and Birth certificate as proof of being a USC.
While a US passport is a slam dunk, a US birth certificate, by itself, is not definitive proof of US citizenship. (Hint = 14th Amendment)

Ian
Old May 4th 2010, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Errol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by henryh
Passport should be all you need for a bank account and a job. You'll need a social security number for a credit card application and HR will want it soon after you start working (though they should not withhold your paycheck until you provide it). SSN is easily obtained though at a social security office. You can get the number in a day or two and the card in a couple of weeks.

Renting varies widely with the landlord - anything from 1 month's rent up front in cash and no questions asked, to a credit check, employment verification and several references.
You can get a Social Security Number from the US Embassy in London before you leave. Check out this link

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...q_fbu_ssn.html