Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed - Where to stay in Philly?

Advice Needed - Where to stay in Philly?

Old Jul 27th 2014, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Happydragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Needed - Where to stay in Philly?

My hubby, 3 kids (13,12&3) & me are coming over to Philly in August for a pre-move visit later in the year. Where is the best place to stay where you can enjoy the Philly attractions but can still get out & about to other suburbs with a car? I've been trawling the internet for hours & now have hotel/apartment blindness LOL Thanks guys for any help you can give.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 3:13 am
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice Needed - Where to stay in Philly?

I suggest the Loews hotel on Market Street because it's a great hotel and it's good for the Philly attractions (it's close to the old city, next to City Hall, and a few blocks from Rittenhouse Square. The Art museum is a fair distance away but I wouldn't recommend any hotels near that). Market East Station is just across the street in case you wanted to get around by commuter rail, and it's only a couple of stops from 30th Street Station if you wanted to get an Amtrak train.

A word of warning - Don't stray too far north or west (stay south of Vine and east of the Schuylkill river). Hopefully you'll recognise when you're getting into a dodgy area!

Have fun - it's a great city
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Clrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the rough

We went over in April, though just me and my husband and stayed at the Franklin residences on the corner of Walnut street, fairly near to the Liberty Bell. My husbands work either put people up there or at the Holiday Inn Express. It was nice staying in an apartment as we had a kitchen and living room so could sit down and look at internet and discuss things without sitting on the end of a bed!
Not sure what areas you are looking at to live, but we looked at houses along the Mainline - primarily the Merion School districts and Radnor School districts and also over in NJ at Cherry Hill and Haddonfield - particularly liked Haddonfield, but went for the Main Line district in the end. I have got contact details for Relators in both of these areas if that is any use to use.
We did lots of walking around the city and used the train services which were good and fairly frequent. Go to Reading Terminal Market to try some food - really liked it there! My husband is now living in Philly and my interview is on the 11th August so me and the children are hoping to join him soon. Please let me know if I can help in your search in any way as I've just been through the same process! We have also got three children 12, 11 and 11.

Clare
Old Jul 29th 2014, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

If you google map "Rittenhouse Square Philadelphia", you'll see the nice part of the city to stay in. I have personally stayed in the Westin Philadelphia, Four Seasons (the best hotel in Philly), Marriott Downtown, and The Ritz Carlton. However, there are many chain and non-chain hotels in that area too as an option
Old Jul 29th 2014, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warrington Wolf
A word of warning - Don't stray too far north or west (stay south of Vine and east of the Schuylkill river). Hopefully you'll recognise when you're getting into a dodgy area!
Although the Penn campus is perfectly safe and the Penn Archaeology Museum there is a must-see.